Apple's share of U.S. smartphone market grows to 25% - study

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Good point. We can infer he's talking about smartphones from the previous sentence.

With 63.1% of users using their phone for texting I wonder how many iPhones would sell if ATT didn't require a data plan. I have often wondered the same with the Blackberry. I believe far more iPhone family plans would be sold if you didn't have to add an additional 30.00 for each phone.
  • Reply 22 of 100
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    It always amazes me that when discussing share for iPhones it's always smartphones only , yet when OS market share is discussed iPods, iPhones, ( I'm sure iPads) and everything but the kithen sink gets included. Same for Safari.

Makes you wonder. \
  • Reply 23 of 100
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

yet when OS market share is discussed iPods, iPhones, ( I'm sure iPads) and everything but the kithen sink gets included. Same for Safari.

... and if only that were true.
  • Reply 24 of 100
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

In Balmer's defense, he did write "'I'd prefer to have our software in 60% or 70% or 80% of them".

True, but his strategy is wholly inadequate to getting anywhere near 60%. So his "prefer" is more like a wish than a plan.
  • Reply 25 of 100
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

With 63.1% of users using their phone for texting I wonder how many iPhones would sell if ATT didn't require a data plan. I have often wondered the same with the Blackberry. I believe far more iPhone family plans would be sold if you didn't have to add an additional 30.00 for each phone.

Far more people would buy iPhones if AT&T didn't charge still another $20 extra for unlimited texting.
  • Reply 26 of 100
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Good point. We can infer he's talking about smartphones from the previous sentence.

My understanding is that Balmer was talking about the overall cell phone market. Microsoft's aspiration has always been to have Windows Mobile appear on the majority of all phones eventually. Everyone understands that the smartphone market is small but rapidly expanding.

In fact, looking it up, the full quote is "Now we'll get a chance to go through this again in phones and music players. There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share.". He's clearly talking about cell phones and not just smartphones.
  • Reply 27 of 100
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    RIM is loosing a little bit of market share while they sell buy one get one free. So they cannot afford to stop.
  • Reply 28 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Far more people would buy iPhones if AT&T didn't charge still another $20 extra for unlimited texting.

Yeah between the additional 20 for texting and 30 for data it really bumps up the price of a plan
  • Reply 29 of 100
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

RIM is loosing a little bit of market share while they sell buy one get one free. So they cannot afford to stop.

RIM does not sell buy one get one, the carriers do.
  • Reply 30 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You're making an incorrect assumption here (that this was what Balmer was talking about), and comparing Apple's to Oranges.

The figures you are quoting are for cell-phone market share, the figures the article refers to (and Balmer), are the smartphone share.

I think you need to read it again. I can't see anywhere that Balmer said he was talking about smartphones only. In fact, the 1.3billion figure indicates he is talking about ALL mobile phones, and in that respect he is dead right about the 2-3% marketshare.
  • Reply 31 of 100
    That's equivalent to what Verizon charges, its not a problem.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

• Reply 32 of 100
    The carriers are not subsidizing BB at 100%, RIM is making less revenue from those types of sales.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

RIM does not sell buy one get one, the carriers do.

• Reply 33 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

My understanding is that Balmer was talking about the overall cell phone market. Microsoft's aspiration has always been to have Windows Mobile appear on the majority of all phones eventually. Everyone understands that the smartphone market is small but rapidly expanding.

In fact, looking it up, the full quote is "Now we'll get a chance to go through this again in phones and music players. There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share.". He's clearly talking about cell phones and not just smartphones.

Perhaps, but since WinMo has never been made for general phones I have to assume he was implying the smartphone market with those figures. I can't imagine for a second that he expects MS to own 60-80% of the entire handset OS marketshare with just a smartphone OS.

Quote:

Someone is going to point out it's the carriers, not RiM, but they failing to note the initial price drop on RiM's end to make this possible with the same contract. RiM's longterm plan is going to hurt them. I really expected more from their Storms. They need to go with a capacitance touch screen and focus a little more on media and internet capabilities. Adobe isn't even making a version of Flash 10.1 for Blackberry, that'll upset some BB users.

Quote:

Yeah between the additional 20 for texting and 30 for data it really bumps up the price of a plan

The $20 for unlimited texting is an extra fee, not required. Don't you have to be doing over 50 SMS per day to even need the unlimited text option? It's a racket. The carriers have an oligopoly.
  • Reply 34 of 100
    Quote:

I believe the carrier takes that hit not RIM. And they are more then happy to take the hit on the hardware because like the iPhone its required to have a 30.00 per phone data plan. So that money gets made up rather fast.
  • Reply 35 of 100
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

There are plenty of iPhone apps that gives you almost free unlimited SMS (send and receive) using your data plans only (no need for SMS plan). It might not be as convenient as having people send SMS to your phone number but for those who are heavy SMS users it will not be an issue.
  • Reply 36 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

... and if only that were true.

it is- on here at least.
  • Reply 37 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I think you need to read it again. I can't see anywhere that Balmer said he was talking about smartphones only. In fact, the 1.3billion figure indicates he is talking about ALL mobile phones, and in that respect he is dead right about the 2-3% marketshare.

Consider that Jobs stated they want 1% of the handset market. That would mean Ballmer was making fun of the iPhone by claiming it would get 2 to 3 times as much sales, meaning 30M in the first year. It seems more likely he was saying Apple would only get 2-3% of the smartphone market, not 2-3x as much marketshare and sales than Jobs himself predicted.
  • Reply 38 of 100
    Quote:

The $20 for unlimited texting is an extra fee, not required. Don't you have to be doing over 50 SMS per day to even need the unlimited text option? It's a racket. The carriers have an oligopoly.

Right but who doesn't txt msg? I would assume most iPhone users add that extra fee for txt messaging.

What I was saying is ATT could have a non 3g option like Verizon has, that would not only sell more iPhone but it would bring in more customers and not put more stress on their already stressed 3G network. Those users could simply have an iPhone and use WiFi.

Like with Verizon this would offer an option to families that wanted to be on a family plan that don't have a need for data.
  • Reply 39 of 100
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:

The carriers are not subsidizing BB at 100%, RIM is making less revenue from those types of sales.

No.

RIMs profits dont take a hit when carriers subsidize phones at their discretion. When RIM sells the phone to the carrier they are paid immediately. VZW pushes BlackBerry hard because they get the phones for roughly 230ish for a Curve 8530 and and 300ish for a 9630, so making that money up through subscription costs is nothing (only 10 of your 30 dollars go to RIM for BIS, so the carrier gets 480.00 over two years, covering the phone)
  • Reply 40 of 100
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

the username looks awfully familiar

Yes, talks much but says little.