1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/b...storm-3-a.html

This guy is spot on and in the know, was a big leaker of OSs for the 9530

Still doesn't say anything about the Surepress tech which was what I was talking about when I said that I didn't know if there were any changes. Of course the rest of the phone had to have improvements.

Using the Droid as a speed comparison isn't hard, as it's a slow phone.

I cant stand these "blew it out of the water" or "blew it away" comments. It's likely better. I would consider the iPad screen to "blow away" the Kindle screen, but thats pretty obvious. As for this, well... it's not going to be THAT much better. It would have been more interesting compared to the Nexus One.
  • Reply 82 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

It's not Symbian though so cut out the name Symbian from the name and you've got it right. Nokia's S60 devices are Symbian, S40 devices are not Symbian, they are a proprietary in-house OS.

Do you actually know anything about Symbian? Why didn't you look it up first?

http://forum2.mobile-review.com/showthread.php?t=80343
  • Reply 83 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Do you actually know anything about Symbian? Why didn't you look it up first?

http://forum2.mobile-review.com/showthread.php?t=80343

Clearly more than you do!

S40 is NOT Symbian. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_S40

You can say it as much as you like, it just isn't true.

http://www.forum.nokia.com/Technolog...ice_Platforms/
  • Reply 84 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Microsoft wasn't building a 'dumb' phone operating system in 2007 and 3 years later in 2010, they're still not. And neither does Apple.

IPhone now sells more than all Windows "Smart" phones, therefore Apple is also selling more than all Windows "anything" phones.

Balmer was blowing wind then... and eating crow now. If it makes you feel better reinterpreting his comments then... knock yourself out.

Ballmer was just attempting to develop his own reality distortion field, but he hasn't gotten the bugs out yet (it runs on Windows).

I think his point was that because of Win Mobile, smartphones would take over, and Win Mobile would be on the majority.
  • Reply 85 of 100
    Quote:

Clearly more than you do!

S40 is NOT Symbian. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_S40

You can say it as much as you like, it just isn't true.

I didn't have to say it Nokia says it, and they know better than some Wikipedia posting.
  • Reply 86 of 100
    Quote:

I didn't have to say it Nokia says it, and they know better than some Wikipedia posting.

Show me where it says S40 is Symbian...
  • Reply 87 of 100
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:

Still doesn't say anything about the Surepress tech which was what I was talking about when I said that I didn't know if there were any changes. Of course the rest of the phone had to have improvements.

Using the Droid as a speed comparison isn't hard, as it's a slow phone.

I cant stand these "blew it out of the water" or "blew it away" comments. It's likely better. I would consider the iPad screen to "blow away" the Kindle screen, but thats pretty obvious. As for this, well... it's not going to be THAT much better. It would have been more interesting compared to the Nexus One.

Droid isnt that slow, and with the upcoming update it should see a speed boost as well. It being comparable to the 3GS is pretty amazing, being this early so we'll see what time brings improvement wise.

Anyways no point in speculating on a phone that wont be released for another 8 months, but i wouldnt doubt it if we see some photos in the next few months since RIM cant keep shit under wraps if their life depended on it.
  • Reply 88 of 100
    Quote:

Show me where it says S40 is Symbian...

I'd like to find the citation I knw exists because I've got it bookmarked somewhere.

The way it developed is that Nokia developed what became Symbian S60 and S40. The S40 was a simpler version, without multitasking and other features, but was originally based on much of the same code S60 was based on. But they went their own ways, with S40 going into cheaper phones, and S60 going into "smartphones". It's like saying that Mac OS X and the iPhone OS X are the same thing, but different.

It this point, they've evolved so far apart that they've long been incompatible, but they started out with a basic codebase. There's been talk that the Symbian Foundation may re-integrate S40, but I don't know how far that's gotten, or if it will happen.

The way it started, as I remember, was that S60 was developed first, and shortly, S40 was broken off from it.
  • Reply 89 of 100
    Quote:

Droid isnt that slow, and with the upcoming update it should see a speed boost as well. It being comparable to the 3GS is pretty amazing, being this early so we'll see what time brings improvement wise.

Anyways no point in speculating on a phone that wont be released for another 8 months, but i wouldnt doubt it if we see some photos in the next few months since RIM cant keep shit under wraps if their life depended on it.

A lot of things can happen in 8 months. The new iPhone for example.

What we're seeing these days is one company leapfrogging over another, as they aren't releasing phones at the same time. It makes it tough to determine what's more advanced.
  • Reply 90 of 100
    Quote:

I'd like to find the citation I knw exists because I've got it bookmarked somewhere.

The way it developed is that Nokia developed what became Symbian S60 and S40. The S40 was a simpler version, without multitasking and other features, but was originally based on much of the same code S60 was based on. But they went their own ways, with S40 going into cheaper phones, and S60 going into "smartphones". It's like saying that Mac OS X and the iPhone OS X are the same thing, but different.

It this point, they've evolved so far apart that they've long been incompatible, but they started out with a basic codebase. There's been talk that the Symbian Foundation may re-integrate S40, but I don't know how far that's gotten, or if it will happen.

The way it started, as I remember, was that S60 was developed first, and shortly, S40 was broken off from it.

Sorry, but you're wrong. S40 has absolutely nothing to do with Symbian whatsoever. S60 is the UI that sits on top of the Symbian OS. S40 is an entirely different, feature phone OS with no grounds in Symbian at all. S40 is Nokia's proprietary OS developed in house. Symbian was an OS developed by a separate company from who Nokia bought the rights to use on their handsets. Nokia developed the S60 UI which sits atop Symbian OS. Nokia have since bought Symbian. There is no such thing as Symbian S60 per se as they are 2 seperate products. Symbian is the underlying OS, and S60 is the front end. So you describe an S60 based Symbian device by saying what version of Symbian it runs, followed by what version of S60 it has, such as "Symbian OS v9.4, Series 60 rel. 5". UIQ (now defunct) was another Symbian front end, and UIQ based Symbian devices were expressed like this "Symbian OS v9.1, UIQ 3.0".

The long and short of it is, S40 is not Symbian, and never has been!

Here you go, the first ever S40 phone. It quite clearly states the OS as 'Nokia OS'

http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/7210/

And here's an S60 device, obviously running Symbian OS

http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/5800_XpressMusic/
  • Reply 91 of 100
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Amazing that Microsoft still has as much share as they do. Curious what devices drive their sales (in the US).

Dunno what the best sellers are, but there's some pretty impressive hardware running WinMo. I wouldn't consider using the OSy, so I've never more than glanced at them.
  • Reply 92 of 100
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

I think it's fairly certain that his comment was with regard to ALL mobile phones, not just smartphones, hence the 1.3billion figure, which is far far higher than the amount of smartphones sold. And within that, I guess his comments referred to Apple only ever achieving 2-3% of that market, which might be about where they are now. If the trend continues, and they stay at 2-3% marketshare, then Balmer was dead right. I am yet to fathom at what point it was ever indicated that he was talking about smartphone marketshare specifically as the numbers he quotes just don't relate to smartphones at all.

1.3 billion definitely refers to all phones, but in a way that makes him more wrong than right. He also wanted their products (Windows Mobile) to be on 60%+ of all phones, which I don't see ever happing even with a shift to all phones becoming smart phones. He probably choose 2-3% because it was a "small number" rather than having any sort of intuition.
  • Reply 93 of 100
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Microsoft wasn't building a 'dumb' phone operating system in 2007 and 3 years later in 2010, they're still not. And neither does Apple.

Microsoft bought Danger two years ago. It has a dumb phone operating system in the pipeline. Trying Googling "Project Pink" if you don't believe me.

Quote:

S40 doesn't run on top of Symbian. It runs on top of Nokia OS. The forum post you link to is not an official Nokia press release.

I say this as someone who has programmed for Symbian in the past.
  • Reply 94 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Microsoft bought Danger two years ago. It has a dumb phone operating system in the pipeline. Trying Googling "Project Pink" if you don't believe me.

I don't think anyone is counting Danger, as it isn't an MS derived OS, and has only sold a very small number of phones. Also, the project seems to be failing.

Quote:

S40 doesn't run on top of Symbian. It runs on top of Nokia OS. The forum post you link to is not an official Nokia press release.

I say this as someone who has programmed for Symbian in the past.

Ok, I officially give up on this.
  • Reply 95 of 100
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

I don't think anyone is counting Danger, as it isn't an MS derived OS, and has only sold a very small number of phones. Also, the project seems to be failing.

It's most definitely failing. But the aspiration is there.
  • Reply 96 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Right but who doesn't txt msg? I would assume most iPhone users add that extra fee for txt messaging.

I don't text at all. I prefer to send and receive e-mails.
  • Reply 97 of 100
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

The beta Android SDK was released over two years ago, the 1.0 release was over a year and a half ago. You might also consider that Motorola has been making phones for a long, long time.

The "look how far they've come and they're barely starting out" argument is getting a little long in the tooth. I think, at this point, it's fair to judge Android phones on their own merits, not as exciting indicators of what the future will surely hold.
  • Reply 98 of 100
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    double post
  • Reply 99 of 100
    Back to Ballmer, either he was talking about smartphones, in which case his "2-3%" comment was idiotic, or he was talking about all phones, in which his "60-80%" comment was idiotic. Either way, his comment was beyond stupid.

Apple now has a higher share of smartphones, as well as a higher share of all phones than Microsoft does. That's what really matters.
  • Reply 100 of 100
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Back to Ballmer, either he was talking about smartphones, in which case his "2-3%" comment was idiotic, or he was talking about all phones, in which his "60-80%" comment was idiotic. Either way, his comment was beyond stupid.

Apple now has a higher share of smartphones, as well as a higher share of all phones than Microsoft does. That's what really matters.

Most of the disputed Ballmer comments came from January 2007 --- 6 months before the iphone was launched --- when the keynote stated that the iphone was $600 without a subsidy, with a 2 year contract and with revenue sharing. I don't see any problems with those comments.

Ballmer could only comment from what was stated in the keynote speech at the time. Otherwise, you would have Gene Munster making truly idiotic predictions about 45 million iphones because his crystal ball said that there would be mini iphone and a 2008 china iphone launch.