Apple releases iPhone OS 3.2 SDK for iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    I just hope developers don't get "lazy" and not support all four display configurations-- landscape/portrait, iPad/iPhone. Some of the apps I use have half-implemented ladscape designs where you can't do anything until reorienting to portrait.

I know it complicates things, but it really is an all-or-nothing thing sometimes.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

Where's the Final release, the website still has the beta for downloading.

Final release is still weeks if not months away. This is iPhone SDK 3.2 Beta 2.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

Where's the Final release, the website still has the beta for downloading.

Are you mucking about?

This report is about the 2nd beta. Nobody has mentioned a final release yet.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

Any developer will tell you that creating the 'view' is the easy part. the model/viewmodel is where the real meat of it all is. So its smart just to create a single binary and adjust as needed. Cake really. Apple provides all the features you need for gathering input and displaying what you need so it's just the backend that is the real banana.

Unless you're developing for the iPhone. Then the view is everything and the business logic is generally trivial by comparison.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Are you mucking about?

This report is about the 2nd beta. Nobody has mentioned a final release yet.

In his defense, the AI article doesn't mention it being the 2nd beta and uses the confusing term "officially released" instead of just "released". Other sites are being more clear about the release.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In his defense, the AI article doesn't mention it being the 2nd beta and uses the confusing term "officially released" instead of just "released". Other sites are being more clear about the release.

Ah! Sorry - you're absolutely right. I read it more clearly on MacRumors.

Probably good for anyone who hasn't to take a quick look.

This Prince McLean article implies it's the final release. He always embellishes....
  • Reply 27 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Ah! Sorry - you're absolutely right. I read it more clearly on MacRumors.

No worries, I was about to do the same since I had first read the MR article, but I'm not the one that you should be apologizing to.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post

I think the killer app for the iPad would be mobile Office.

No one cares about iWorks. I want to be able to view and edit MS Office PowerPoint, excel, and word docs.

I'm not sure if they'll develop for the iPhone OS. I'm not aware of any MS apps in the App store.

Can't you just use the iWorks apps and save them in Word/xls/ppt format. $9.99 X 3 versus over a $100 for Office Standard.

Ultimately, I would think Open Office might be ported over.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Apple released the beta iPad SDK the day the device was announced.

All they did today was release another beta.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Thanks for clearing that up guys. Thee article definitely implies that htis was the 3.2 final release.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Good luck with that. I can see iPhone apps scaling up for the iPad, but I expect the better made iPad apps to not be transferable to the iPhone.

Probably in some cases you are right but I can imagine that a lot of developers will deliver one app and have different views customized to different devices on the platform. Especially if for a while the iPhone is very dominant in install-base, which it should be.

It's also pretty cool that you might buy an app once and then get two experiences from it depending on the device you use. Developers need not support this but it is cool that they have the option.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

I was under the impression that iWorks apps can read MS Office files...

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jobs said the iPad could save a Pages doc a Word file. You'd think it could open one too.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Any developer will tell you that creating the 'view' is the easy part. the model/viewmodel is where the real meat of it all is. So its smart just to create a single binary and adjust as needed. Cake really. Apple provides all the features you need for gathering input and displaying what you need so it's just the backend that is the real banana.

mmmmmm, banana meat cake
  • Reply 34 of 42
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    The iPhone Simulator Beta 2 includes Safari for both iPhone and --now-- iPad. THAT IS GREAT!!!
  • Reply 35 of 42
    beta2 of 3.2 was released.

the ipad dev kit 3.2 beta has been available since jan 27.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkie View Post

Jobs said the iPad could save a Pages doc a Word file. You'd think it could open one too.

Another interesting thing is the ability of the iPad to generate PDF from documents. Developers will have access for PDF files within their apps as well.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post

No one cares about iWorks.

Many people do. Personally, I am all Mac at home and work and happily finally uninstalled Office some time ago. If you are a Mac user, iWork integrates very easily with the iLife apps and shares many of the same editing menus (eg, for altering images) so the learning curve is low and the work-flow is fast.

Also, anybody who gives presentations will likely never use PP again after using Keynote if they can help it; it really is that much better.

One reason I think is behind Apple releasing iWork for the iPad, though, is also to show what the device is really capable of. iWork is a fairly major app suite, and to port it to the iPad must have been an undertaking; they would really have had to think through the interaction the user would need to use the app effectively. This will give lots of developers (especially beginning ones with that greatest of all ideas) a starting point and some motivation.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:

Is this the same method that Android uses for their various devices? Is this how "fragmentation" will be handled for various platforms running mobile OSs in general?
  • Reply 39 of 42
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

When is the jailbreak coming out?

How many Iphone developers (in percent) do you think will develop for the iPad?

If it is easy, damn near 100%. But I would expect the garbage apps to look horrible on the big screen.

It will be very interesting to see what becomes of the mildly amusing garbage apps. I would think that folks will not download "fart apps"

for their iPad nearly as often as for their iPhone. Many of those sort s of apps are for showing off the iPhone in a casual setting. But will folks download them for a device that resides in their living room? I would think that there would be less opportunity for "hey - look at this!' with the iPad.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

If it is easy, damn near 100%. But I would expect the garbage apps to look horrible on the big screen.

It will be very interesting to see what becomes of the mildly amusing garbage apps. I would think that folks will not download "fart apps"

for their iPad nearly as often as for their iPhone. Many of those sort s of apps are for showing off the iPhone in a casual setting. But will folks download them for a device that resides in their living room? I would think that there would be less opportunity for "hey - look at this!' with the iPad.

You can't forget that a majority of junk apps are used by children on iPod Touches.