Hulu to make videos available on iPad without flash - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Funny how you're attacked left and right isn't it?

Flash works fine on my MAcs, always has - what are they talking about?

Tekstud == MacTripper

Actually, I think it is:

Tekstud === MacTripper

And that is valid JavaScript by the way...
  • Reply 22 of 189
    Quote:

Controversy breeds conversation so I'm told

Quote:

I'm was almost tempted to give you a link to test that theory. :P

Goodbye Teckstud...
  • Reply 23 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

So it does... I think such controversy is created by two users here... This isn't ending up on some PHD thesis is it??!?
  • Reply 24 of 189
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Oh btw did you see Adobe's demo of Flash on Nexus One? LOL

Or how WinMo 7 is rumored not to have any Flash support.

Or how Adobe isn't making a version of Flash 10.1 for Blackberries.

Or how Teckstud says it's Apple fault it didn't arrive in back in 2007 when Adobe is still working on it in 2010.

Or how the Moto Droid was faster than the iPhone 3G HW yet Flash Lite made the pages load more slowly.

Or how Mozilla isn't enabling Flash 10.1 in Firefox Mobile on Maemo because it reduces performance to a crawl.

Or how even with Flash 10.1 you still won't be able to play video sites from Hulu et al.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

should be easy enough to deliver mpeg4 inside a qt container.

Hulu needs stop start timeline & fullscreen.

No more need for lower lights, etc.

There is one nice interface using the HTML5 video tags using nice JS/CSS overlays.
    This is one of those things that will get better with age.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

Huh....

HTML 5.0 = World Wide (pun intended) standard, set by standards body.

Flash = Adobes proprietary toolset.

I do believe you are right about Apple supporting 'Industry Standards'....

Evidently, Flash performance on the OS X platform is so bad, that there are multiple browser plug-ins to help mitigate Flashes short comings. I don't know, I use 'no-script' in Firefox on my Mac, flash doesn't present a problem - I just avoid sites that require it.

Just because 'everyone' is doing something, doesn't make it right. :-)

Flash has its benefits and uses, but a mobile device with an ARM processor isn't one of them. This becomes even more evident when it comes to streaming video.

A few things that have been done to curtail the resource hogging shortcomings of Adobe Flash...
    • Separate process in Safari (Mostly this was done because a 32-bit plugin won't work with a 64-bit browser)

• ClickToFlash

• BashFlash

• Proprietary players on mobiles

• HTML5 <video> tag

• Reply 25 of 189
    This is the kind of thing that we will see more and more. The iPad is going to push many of the sites that people are complaining about the lack of Flash support for to come up with alternative methods of delivering their content. If the iPad is as wildly successful as I think it will be, it's going to force them to support it and not force Apple to support Flash. That's obviously Steve's grand vision.
  • Reply 26 of 189
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I was saying this since YouTube started testing HTML5. It's the future and it's the beginning of the end for Flash as the default way we watch videos on the internet.

Unless Hulu decides to go with an app over a web-based system it may look something like this and work just like this.
    ? http://iphone.akamai.com/ (Note: Demo only works from iPhone)

Site runs for me in normal OSX and safari. Pretty nice...but I'd expect that from akamai...now I want to watch that entire storm chaser's episode. Darn...
  • Reply 27 of 189
    I understand many people don't like flash. I don't have a particular feeling one way or the other.

As a video editor I use flash pretty exclusively for publishing video on the web. It's easy to make flash files, they generally look pretty great especially at such small file sizes, and are harder for people to copy. I've been in video for quite a while and nearly everyone I know posts video to the web using flash. Maybe adobe will get their act together with Flash 10, but overall I think flash looks pretty good online...
  • Reply 28 of 189
    Quote:

The iPad is the Borg?

Not really... just nobody else (other then Amazon and B&N but they only do book content) are really taking this seriously. Why should a content provider jump on to a platform in a big way if the company behind it doesn't take their product seriously. Any other device doesn't feel like an effort to produce a mainstream product. I'm sure that Hulu is also doing this for the iPhone though. The iPhone has a serious market share already. This may also have to do with AT&T allowing streaming over 3G now.
  • Reply 29 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

So it does... I think such controversy is created by two users here... This isn't ending up on some PHD thesis is it??!?

oh no!
  • Reply 30 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phpmaven View Post

This is the kind of thing that we will see more and more. The iPad is going to push many of the sites that people are complaining about the lack of Flash support for to come up with alternative methods of delivering their content. If the iPad is as wildly successful as I think it will be, it's going to force them to support it and not force Apple to support Flash. That's obviously Steve's grand vision.

I think it is just speeding up the inevitable. All of these sites will switch to HTML5 one day. Supporting the iPad and iPhone give these sites a real live audience to beta test their stuff now. When most of these sites were built, flash was the only option. It still is (at least as an option) for backwards compatibility. The extra exposure of supporting the iPad doesn't hurt either. The iPhone pretty much made some sites (like Yelp) popular.
  • Reply 31 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple has a way of defining the industry standards.

YouTube and Vimeo are already moving to HTML5.

Hulu would be wise to support the iPad.

Apple has never set the industry standard for anything. They have never owned enough market share in anything to set a standard.
  • Reply 32 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Goodbye Teckstud...

I'm not saying it works as good as it does on Windows but it works. Safari is the problem not Flash.
  • Reply 33 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Site runs for me in normal OSX and safari. Pretty nice...but I'd expect that from akamai...now I want to watch that entire storm chaser's episode. Darn...

It's designed primarily to show how standards based coding can work to supply video to the iPhone's browser. I've never gotten it to play on a Mac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

As a video editor I use flash pretty exclusively for publishing video on the web. It's easy to make flash files, they generally look pretty great especially at such small file sizes, and are harder for people to copy. I've been in video for quite a while and nearly everyone I know posts video to the web using flash. Maybe adobe will get their act together with Flash 10, but overall I think flash looks pretty good online...

Looks pretty good? As in the quality of the video playback, because that is dependent on the codec used. If you are talking about the controllers for the playback, that is still what needs to be worked out but it's coming along. Flash 10 still has plenty of issues. Even on mobiles with H.264 decoding hardware Flash still is a resource hog. I don't think Adobe has a way to fix that.

Flash isn't going to go away anytime soon. Most of what it can do still has no close competitor to open standards, but delivering streaming video to mobiles is not something it's good at. I have a 1.8GHz netbook that can play Hulu in 360p, can't play it in 480p without stuttering, and can't even begin to play YouTube's 720p video with Flash.
  • Reply 34 of 189
    A dollar a download for TV Shows.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20

Does anyone really think Apple wants Hulu on the iPhone let alone the Internet.

Hulu is Free (Currently), Hulu is currently the 2nd biggest streaming video content provider

http://social-media-optimization.com...st-video-site/

Apple doesn't wan't anything to do with Flash or Hulu because they allow Free Streaming Video. Yes, you have to watch commercials but for me I'd rather it be Free than paying a dollar per TV show.
  • Reply 35 of 189
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Define "fine" ?

Take YouTube for example. The same video in Flash on my Macs (both) uses around 3X the CPU power than using H.264. So at what point is cut off point? What point is not good enough?
  • Reply 36 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

I understand many people don't like flash. I don't have a particular feeling one way or the other.

Nobody is complaining that it doesn't look good. They hate the fact that their battery life goes to nil, their processor fans run full tilt, and their browser locks up and crashes. You may not notice the first two problems on a Mac Pro, but if you are on a MacBook you need ClickToFlash to survive. The fact that it is a closed standard also turns some people away. Most people hate Adobe Acrobat for the same reasons. At least we have a good alternative for that (Preview) because Apple licensed the standard from Adobe.

It currently violates Apple's no interpreter stance on the iPhone/iPad as well. Although personally I wouldn't mind seeing it as a separate application that launches only when I want to view flash content so it doesn't mess up my browser. Maybe that will be in a future version of ClickToFlash...
  • Reply 37 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

A dollar a download for TV Shows.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20

Does anyone really think Apple wants Hulu on the iPhone let alone the Internet.

Hulu is Free (Currently), Hulu is currently the 2nd biggest streaming video content provider

http://social-media-optimization.com...st-video-site/

Apple doesn't wan't anything to do with Flash or Hulu because they allow Free Streaming Video. Yes, you have to watch commercials but for me I'd rather it be Free than paying a dollar per TV show.

Apple doesn't want anything cutting into their iTunes $tore-period. That's the whole raison d'être of the iPod, Apple TV, iPhone , and now the iPad. They're the gifts that keep on giving- back to Apple, that is. You buy any of those products and you're basically buying a debit card to their iTunes store.
  • Reply 38 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Define "fine" ?

Take YouTube for example. The same video in Flash on my Macs (both) uses around 3X the CPU power than using H.264. So at what point is cut off point? What point is not good enough?

Maybe your MAc is simply not powerful enough to handle it. What else are you running at the same time- Final Cut, Photoshop and Aperture?
  • Reply 39 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Apple would rather you buy an iPad because Hulu has a viable player. I watch a lot of my TV from Hulu when I'm mobile. For the first time the iPad has started to peak my interest with the idea that I may be able to watch it from a more portable device than my MBP and over 3G. Of course, if they make an iPhone app that interest will wane into the "no sale" zone again.
  • Reply 40 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Apple has never set the industry standard for anything. They have never owned enough market share in anything to set a standard.

what about the iphone? all new phones resemble it, all companies have their app store