Hulu to make videos available on iPad without flash - rumor

Comments

• Reply 41 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Not really... just nobody else (other then Amazon and B&N but they only do book content) are really taking this seriously.

You're kidding, right?
  • Reply 42 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple would rather you buy an iPad because Hulu has a viable player. I watch a lot of my TV from Hulu when I'm mobile. For the first time the iPad has started to peak my interest with the idea that I may be able to watch it from a more portable device than my MBP and over 3G. Of course, if they make an iPhone app that interest will wane into the "no sale" zone again.

Oh is that why Apple wants me to buy an iPad?

I thought Apple wants me to buy it to like read magazines purchased at the iTunes store?
  • Reply 43 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

what about the iphone? all new phones resemble it, all companies have their app store

I think he means actual technical standards like video, music formats, etc.
  • Reply 44 of 189
    Quote:

what about the iphone? all new phones resemble it, all companies have their app store

How is that considered an industry standard? Also RIM is still the #1 smartphone provider in the US, not Apple.

Apple also didn't invent apps and there were phones with touch screens well before the iPhone.

Also while we are talking about the Apps store or iTunes does anyone really believe this rumor. Like Apple would want free tv supported on the iPad when the sell TV shows on iTunes.
  • Reply 45 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Maybe your MAc is simply not powerful enough to handle it. What else are you running at the same time- Final Cut, Photoshop and Aperture?

Maybe if we could only run one Application and surfed one web page at a time Flash would be fine. I do a lot of research online. I typically have 20 tabs open in my browser. If I didn't use ClickToFlash my MacBook Pro would feel very slow. I have never had my browser crash since I started using ClickToFlash. You don't need to be actively playing a Flash video for Flash to crash your browser.

I personally don't mind having flash around, I just don't want it in my browser because it is a buggy product.
  • Reply 46 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Maybe if we could only run one Application and surfed one web page at a time Flash would be fine. I do a lot of research online. I typically have 20 tabs open in my browser. If I didn't use ClickToFlash my MacBook Pro would feel very slow. I have never had my browser crash since I started using ClickToFlash. You don't need to be actively playing a Flash video for Flash to crash your browser.

Buy a desktop then and enjoy the web- what did you expect? A laptop is never as powerful as a desktop no matter what SJ or anyone else tells you.
  • Reply 47 of 189
    Quote:

Buy a dinosaur then and enjoy the web- what did you expect? A laptop is never as powerful as a desktop no matter what SJ or anyone else tells you.

Tek, this is 2010.
  • Reply 48 of 189
    Quote:

Apple would rather you buy an iPad because Hulu has a viable player. I watch a lot of my TV from Hulu when I'm mobile. For the first time the iPad has started to peak my interest with the idea that I may be able to watch it from a more portable device than my MBP and over 3G. Of course, if they make an iPhone app that interest will wane into the "no sale" zone again.

I have a 3G iPhone and am a PC user. I haven't purchased a single App on my phone.

All the apps I do have are AP News, Reuters, USA Today etc.

The iPad was of interest to me until Apple worked with the publishers and allowed them to Jack up the prices of their eBook content. I travel a lot and I read (fiction and nonfiction) on every trip. I was interested in the iPad until I found out it did not support flash and Apple's Book Store content is proprietary to Apple and will not be usable on other eBook readers. The iPhone & from what I've read about the iPad it fails for all of my needs.

I have a salary that allows me to have many gadgets. The iPad will not be one of them.

Apple will never support Free Streaming, for that reason my next phone will not be an iPhone.
  • Reply 49 of 189
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I'm afraid to point out the mouse as I think his head will explode.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Also RIM is still the #1 smartphone provider in the US, not Apple.

In total unit sales, yes. In unit sales to the Enterpise, yes. In every market category for handsets I think they are behind.

Quote:

Apple also didn't invent apps and there were phones with touch screens well before the iPhone.

Who said they did? They did invent a viable mobile app distribution model that has been copied by and being copied by other mobile OS makers. A usable mobile browser wasn't an industry standard yet somehow since Apple's emergence into this market it's a key factor. And the Apple funded, open source WebKit project is the industry standard for mobile devices that wants a decent browser. Funny how things works out.

Quote:

Also while we are talking about the Apps store or iTunes does anyone really believe this rumor. Like Apple would want free tv supported on the iPad when the sell TV shows on iTunes.

And you think Apple will stop certain video sites from playing through their browser? Good luck with that!
  • Reply 50 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Tek, this is 2010.

There are alot of people that still have a need or want a desktop. Even in the world of Apple SJ understands this which is why he makes a 27" iMac. However there are some fairly powerful notebooks these days. What we really could use is some better home dock stations.
  • Reply 51 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

.The iPad was of interest to me until Apple worked with the publishers and allowed them to Jack up the prices of their eBook content. I travel a lot and I read (fiction and nonfiction) on every trip. I was interested in the iPad until I found out it did not support flash and Apple's Book Store content is proprietary to Apple and will not be usable on other eBook readers.

This was known. if Apple's slate runs on ARM, which was most likely, it will definitely not have Flash. Flash simply isn't viable for such a slow device. Note that they ship their Macs with Flash pre-installed and even made it a separate process which took time and effort on their part. They could have just made a 64-bit version of Safari and told Mac users to run in 32-bit mode while pointing the finger at Adobe to go 64-bit.

We also knew publishing was a mess. Apple was an instigator with the prices but Adobe was taking an excessive amount and forcing publishers down because they had a monopoly. Adobe didn't play it smart, hence the switch up in their model just prior to the iPad announcement. It's Amazon that got the music labels to force Apple's hand with variable pricing. it works both ways.

Quote:

The iPhone & from what I've read about the iPad it fails for all of my needs.

With a 13" MBP and iPhone my interest is pretty low. This is the best thing I've heard. If they get with magazine publishers and get great annotations for textbooks my interest will increase.

Quote:

Apple will never support Free Streaming, for that reason my next phone will not be an iPhone.

Um, the original iPhone OS 1.0 came with a YouTube app. They support free streaming from Macs. There are apps in the App Store designed for streaming video. They support HTML5 and HTTP Streaming from Safari. I've already posted examples of Apple supporting streaming.
  • Reply 52 of 189
    Quote:

I'm afraid to point out the mouse as I think his head will explode.

In total unit sales, yes. In unit sales to the Enterpise, yes. In every market category for handsets I think they are behind.

Who said they did? They did invent a viable mobile app distribution model that has been copied by and being copied by other mobile OS makers. A usable mobile browser wasn't an industry standard yet somehow since Apple's emergence into this market it's a key factor. And the Apple funded, open source WebKit project is the industry standard for mobile devices that wants a decent browser. Funny how things works out.

And you think Apple will stop certain video sites from playing through their browser? Good luck with that!

Total unit sales is all that matters.

Inventing something and being the industry standard in something is very different. There were plenty of usable mobile broswers before the iPhone. Just because you don't think so doesn't make it reality.

While Apple can't stop anyone they certainly aren't going to work with anyone to provide free content when they are trying to sell it. Also its pretty clear at this point this is only a rumor so saying Apple is creating some industry standard is a joke.

Kind of like saying the fact that Apple uses the display port is somehow the industry standard when everyone else is using HDMI.

Apple doesn't have enough market share in anything to be considered an industry standard.
  • Reply 53 of 189
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Monumental 'Rumor'...

Apple might be better to just make hardware/software capable of supporting industry standards.

We'll See Soon Enough[/CENTER]

It is not unlike you refusing to use standard text formatting, so you - of all - should not complain against Apple
  • Reply 54 of 189
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Buy a desktop then and enjoy the web- what did you expect? A laptop is never as powerful as a desktop no matter what SJ or anyone else tells you.

Hang on, did you just recommend that an average user buy a desktop in order to run Flash content?

Aside from the inherent absurdity in that - Flash does not provide the functionality to justify its power consumption - it makes the complaint of Flash not being on the iPad, let alone the iPhone look completely ridiculous.
  • Reply 55 of 189
    Quote:

No, no it isn't. If "total unit sales is all that matters" then there would be no need for profit and usability. Just selling more and more cheap units. There would be no great restaurants because they'd all be going for McDonalds level unit sales.
  • Reply 56 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

iTunes Radio disagrees with you.
  • Reply 57 of 189
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The march toward HTML5 continues.

That is so Mao Tse Tung

Quote:

Content providers are realizing it's time to adjust to the iPad.

Yes, they will ditch their whole web site and rewrite it, even before a single iPad is sold
  • Reply 58 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

iTunes Radio disagrees with you.

We're talking Video here. You could have pointed out the most popular Pandora if you wanted to make a point.

Can you do either and read your email at the same time on your iPhone or for that matter the iPad?
  • Reply 59 of 189
    Quote:

Inventing something and being the industry standard in something is very different. There were plenty of usable mobile broswers before the iPhone. Just because you don't think so doesn't make it reality.

While Apple can't stop anyone they certainly aren't going to work with anyone to provide free content when they are trying to sell it. Also its pretty clear at this point this is only a rumor so saying Apple is creating some industry standard is a joke.

Kind of like saying the fact that Apple uses the display port is somehow the industry standard when everyone else is using HDMI.

Apple doesn't have enough market share in anything to be considered an industry standard.

The mp4 video standard in its current form was largely adapted from Quicktime.

HTML5 is being co-edited David Hyatt of Apple.

The mouse.

The GUI.

The palm rest and keyboard arrangement of notebook PCs.

Firewire

Apple has contributed to many, many industry standards, and have enough selling power to push them with some force. The mobile web has being largely redefined around the specification of the iPhone.

You are wrong.
  • Reply 60 of 189
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

That is so Mao Tse Tung

Yes, they will ditch their whole web site and rewrite it, even before a single iPad is sold

lol you must really hate open standards.