The NERVE OF MacDaily News!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Got to read this first:

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/23972/

Quote:

Fruitless pseudo Macworld snoozefest begins in San Francisco

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 09:33 AM EST

"There'll be no Steve Jobs keynote, no gigantic Apple booth, and only about half as many exhibitors ? roughly 220 vs. nearly 500 last year, according to Ars Technica," Philip Elmer-DeWitt reports for Fortune.

"But IDG World Expo has determined that the show must go on ? at least for one more year ? and so from Tuesday Feb. 9 to Saturday Feb. 13, San Franciso's Moscone Center will host the software vendors, accessory makers, iPhone developers, fanmag publishers, celebrity bloggers, AAPL investors and Mac faithful that are the Apple community," Elmer-DeWitt reports.

Elmer-DeWitt's five highlights:

? David Pogue, Thursday 9 a.m. PT

? Kevin Smith, Thursday 2 p.m. PT

? Leo Laporte, Friday 2 p.m. PT

? John Gruber, Friday 4:30 p.m. PT

? iPad discussion: Saturday 1 p.m. PT

Full article here:

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune....r-at-macworld/

MacDailyNews Take: Thrilling. Wake us when it's over or when IDG World Expo comes to their senses, whichever comes first.

Macworld 2010 is now a vestigial event. IDG is dragging around the corpse just like they did in New York and Boston. How long until IDG buries the poor, decaying thing this time?

MacDailyNews Note: 7:55am PT: There seems to be some confusion as evidenced by some of the reader feedback below. To clarify: We're not saying don't go. We're not saying don't support the companies that show up this year. We're simply saying that we find it to be far less interesting and we wouldn't rush to book plane tickets and hotel rooms for next year.

MacDailyNews Note: 10:05am PT: More clarification: Nobody loved Macworld Conferences and Expos more than us. "Loved," past tense, as in: When there were real Macworld Expos. We will miss them, but since we have had over a year now to get over it, and they are an anachronism, please forgive us for not being maudlin today.

Here are the some of the responses by members and posters at MDN, some have been removed, especially the ones where posters are going to contact Apple to pull their advertising.

Quote:

Comment from: silverhawk

Hey MDN, it's still a Mac love fest, if you don't like it don't go. Jeez.

Yikes, MDN.

By that same measure, MDN is a complete waste of time because Steve Jobs isn't personally addressing us. I thought MDN supported the Mac community.

I second silverhawk's comment. Why bash the Mac centric shows. It's all love, except form MDN.

I guess it's true what some say.... MDN's author is a snobby elitist. Sad

In a Windows centric world, surely every bit of effort to push the Mac ecosystem is worth it. Why knock them for giving Apple a bit of free promotion? If I was in range, I'd go to it.

And Jon's right. What does MacDailyNews bring to the party that these guys don't?

MacWorld is important despite Apple's stupid decision not to support it. MDN's author needs to wise up before MDN ends up on most peoples "do not view" site.

Did someone mention me? KInda snarky MDN?

Wow. Pretty harsh MDN. Your "Take" is often quite biting, but it is disappointing to see those teeth turned on the loyal Mac community. The same community that visits your site, and when requested, donates to help you out.

I, for one, am attending.

Wow, MDN, biting the very hand that feeds you?

WTF?!

I thought you supported the Mac community, not just Apple Computer and their press releases.

MacWorld is an important place to go to meet all the major Mac vendors in one location.

In the spirit of your take:

"Hey everybody, stop visiting MDN beause it's not Apple's website! MDN is a snoozefest!"

There you go.....Apple and MDN kicking the independent developers in the teeth.

Hey brilliant MDN...How many of the zillions of applets available in the iTunes store are written by Apple?...How many are written by Independent developers? Maybe they need to write for Google...you know the guys that are showing them respect right now.

just my $0.02

Wow, I'm usually not only an Apple fanboy, but also an MDN fanboy. But this time, I have to echo the other comments. I was a bit surprised at the negativity. =|

MacDailyNews

where mac news comes first

Should read:

MacDailyNews

where elitist apple news comes first

Used to attend always when I could, was fun...

what's with bashing of the show?

I'm inclined to agree with the consensus above, MDN is the one that is out of step here.

Yes MDN you really hit a low this time.

I get why Apple are not getting involved this time. They have better ways of promoting their products now. Plus they want to get away from the expectation of having to release products for the show.

But still there are large number of third party manufacturers that showcase their wares at the show. It's a shame that this avenue is being dropped.

I would ask for an apology or plan to just stop reading your blog.

So let me get this straight, mdn, it is bad thing to have a show highlighting mac products. It is bad that people are writing software for the mac and selling mac accessories.

We should make fun of folks supporting the mac.

We should be happy that one of the main venues for exposing people to new maccentric products might go away.

Mdn, does mdn stand for mac-using-dicknugget?

What kind of self defeating, self important piece of cock smegma expresses joy at such a thing?

Very simply, mdn you fucking suck and are the puckering asshole of the mac universe.

Change your take on this issue and prove me wrong, at least for today.

Why does MDN have to bash everything that's not Apple? It's still about the Mac platform you dumb, arrogant pricks!

You come off as extremely ignorant and your "takes" are just Apple propaganda.

Apple just increased the price of eBooks from 9.99 to closer to 15.00 why don't you do a take on that from a consumer perspective?

When the media was full of "Apple Is Dead" articles, MacWorld was there to keep hope alive. It should continue forever as a celebration of The Best Platform Ever. Besides, it's the opportunity for companies to show products that may never make it into an Apple Store. If I wasn't dealing with family issues I'd be heading up on CalTrain right now. May try and go Saturday which is genius scheduling, so people in the education field can attend...both teachers & students.

Uh, actually this is a great consumer / user / Mac community show event.

It's a great opportunity to meet developers and companies selling Mac products face to face! You learn so much.

Its' good for the Mac community.

The DIFFERENCE between this show and the crappy old Boston and NYC shows etc, is that 1) we are IN CALIFORNIA, 2) near many developers in Silicon Valley, and 3) we don't suffer from the old, right coast conservative mentality, atmosphere and climate, regarding tech and progress and new ideas. (I'm not referring to individuals, just regional vibe.)

I would happily attend a Macworld as far away as100 miles. I think it's vital for Apple to support the community. I thought that to be the real success of the iTunes Store.

I think Apple should support a traveling Macworld, so that us East Coast (and Middle America) people could have access to it.

I'm really tired of going into Bestbuy and Costco, and finding little or no support for Apple products.

What we care about is a supposed supporter of the Mac platform openly bashes a Mac event solely because Apple is not attending.

And there's more than just the show floor to Apple; there are classes and seminars on how to integrate Macs into the workplace (good for those switching from Windows), how to administer OS X networks, creating digital media, etc. The conferences are just as vital as the show floor; they offer the opportunity to stretch your Mac to the limits when you get home.

MDN = LAME

MDN is the only site that has this big of a witty sarcastic community of posters. Grant you, we're all like a bunch of Junior High school aged nerds; but we're fun loving.

"Fruitless pseudo Macworld snoozefest begins in San Francisco"

Fruitless in San Francisco?

Impossible.

I have to agree with the "chorus" on this one...

MDN: WTF were you thinking when you wrote this "take"? As a northern California resident I've been going to MacWorld Expo for years (20!). Yes, Apple's withdrawal is a BIG disappointment and probably spells the death knell for this event. But MDN's sourpuss take is totally antithetical to everything the Mac "culture" represents - putting power into the hands of computer users! Even without Apple the Expo gives Mac users/developers the opportunity to come together as a "community" in ways that internet communication can't provide.

MDN, I would love to see a retraction to your take - it's simply the right thing to do.

Geeze, MDN, you are starting to really turn me off of your site. Ever since you decided that you would be completely anti-democrat I have felt less and less compelled to come to this site. Now with this, you show just how snobby, and completely out of touch you have become.

Geez, MDN. It's not like IDG moved the San Francisco Macworld Expo to a location against Apple's wishes.

Apple likes to announce new products on its own now. That's great. Macworld Expo is still a great opportunity to meet other vendors who DON'T have their own stores all over the place.

It will obviously be smaller, because a bunch of people who aren't into being Mac professionals, aren't Mac-using businesspeople, etc. won't show up. However, it will still be great for all those who need Mac-related products IN ADDITION TO those made by Apple. I think Apple actually appreciates that, so don't feel like you're doing Apple a favor by dissing Macworld Expo.

Also, David Pogue is a great speaker - very entertaining. John Gruber knows his tech, likes Macs, and is generally an interesting person. The others . . . well, OK.

MDN seems to hate Apple users. Yeah, Apple ain't there, but the faithful must push on.

MDN, u suck.

I'll be heading up to the city later this week for the show. I'm one of those nerdy guys that usually buys the $1,000 all week convention package but my company is cutting back so it's just the show floor for me this year. Too bad this venue is winding down. I suppose we're complicit in it's demise, but serious technical information needed to support multiple Mac's in the workplace is virtually impossible to find anywhere else. I can't imagine struggling through the past migrations to Intel and OS-X/Unix without the Macworld convention. Talking to the other enterprise managers, consultants, and vendors allowed me to bring back real useful trick and tips which kept the Mac viable and the basher's at bay for another year

MDN you just confirmed your elitism. I'm a huge Apple fanboy and MDN fanboy too but you just drank one shot too many of the Apple Kool-Aid.

MDN: You say: "We're not saying don't go", but you go out of your way to call it a complete waste of time. Everybody knows that the show isn't the same without Apple and Steve Jobs. But why go out of your way to slam the event?

Okay, . . . it looks like we've established that the IDG part of Macworld is not beloved. But it also appears that Macworld as a concept is actually needed.

Perhaps we should encourage Apple to develop something adjunct the the Apple Store chain that could travel America. This looks like an opportunity!

I know I'd go.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    And more comments as MDN is busy with their delete button

Quote:

I think the guy who runs MDN is a noob to the Mac and he never attended any Mac trade shows. Otherwise he wouldn't write such utter crap.

Calling the ONLY MAC TRADE SHOW useless.

MDN low on daily meds today?

Cheesssss

MDN, you made a mistake.

Mac Users love Mac events just like they love Apple stores.

IDG World Expo has pissed off Apple it seems.

I do not blame Apple for backing out of MacWorld Expo.

But, Apple should put on Apple World in a number of places wordwide.

I have gone to MacWorld Expo for over 20 years and loved it.

Apparently so have a lot of other people.

You might be right about the expo but I will miss it if it ends.

@MDN, You suck, period. Don't even support the Mac community. Why don't you rename your site to SuckingApplesTit.com? All you care about is Apple, Inc.

No MDN, I don't think your readers are "confused" about your take. They understood it perfectly, and it appears that most of them don't like it.

I don't understand why MDN is doing its best to harm Macworld Expo.

This makes no sense on any level.

MDN you lack chivalry! Why deliberately aim a kick in the teeth of the very people who are your supporters.

Really Apple should have a presence there supporting those guys and gals that do so much to return the favour. Apple can afford it cant they! Attending does not really mean having to make big announcements nor having an over elaborate display.

Why don't you create a site called SuckAppleTit. Then you can wallow to your heart's content.

MDN, you have sunk to new lows.

Your rhetoric has always been so feverish and hateful that it finally has backfired on your own followers. You really haven't been helping people "Get a Mac" at all, more like driving them away with your propaganda.

Apple would be better off with MacWorld than with you.

MDN Take:

"Apple conducts localized mini Macworld Conferences and Expos every day of the year in hundreds of locations worldwide."

Wow, MDN, are you out of touch with reality. It sure sounds like you've never attended a MacWorld Expo. MacWorld Expo gives me opportunities that simply aren't available anywhere else. In my work I regularly use a dozen or more 3rd party software products. Over the years many of these vendors would show up at MacWorld and afford lowly "users" like myself the opportunity to talk face to face with these vendors - often with the software engineers/developers themselves! You cannot have the same experience through email, etc. The opportunity to get some knotty technical questions answered and even give them feedback that affected the course of their product development has been invaluable to me over the years....

I fully understand Apple's reasons for pulling out of MacWorld Expo and I even share many of the concerns about IDG that have been voiced here, but for MDN to bad-mouth a once-a-year opportunity for Mac users all over the world to get together face-to-face with developers/other users is simply unfathomable... perhaps "despicable" is a better word.

Shame on you MDN!

MDN likes to ridicule damn near everything. Add that to their political comments and I am going to look elsewhere for mac oriented news. If a meeting of mac fanboys is not a positive thing to MDN then I could not disagree more. Please someone post a list of other sites that you prefer. I am ready to move.

TUAW is the best one IMHO.

Ditching MDN.

bye mdn. it's been real.

Tip for fellow MAC LOVERS

Just go to Google News and type in iPhone News or iPad News on a daily basis. That's how 99% of mdn stories are located anyway.

• Reply 2 of 9
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Whoop-de-whorl.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Whoop-de-whorl.

Spoken like a true troll.

If your using any Apple product, which I doubt, it most likely wouldn't have existed if it wasn't for the efforts of the people running the MacWord tradeshows.

It's through this medium that the Mac community got together all those years when Steve Jobs wasn't with the company, to develop software, hardware etc. to enrich Mac users lives, to keep the platform alive.

Without content, hardware means nothing.

Without the Mac community, Apple is nothing.

And MDN goes ahead and makes a faux pas about the very people and community that has kept Apple in existence all these years.

MDN screwed up, simple as that.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

If your using any Apple product, which I doubt, it most likely wouldn't have existed if it wasn't for the efforts of the people running the MacWord tradeshows.

IDG? Are you kidding me? They run any conference they can make a buck on. Their relationship was pretty rocky with Apple...MacWorld without Apple is like GoogleIO without Google.

Quote:

And MDN goes ahead and makes a faux pas about the very people and community that has kept Apple in existence all these years.

MDN screwed up, simple as that.

Or you and a bunch of others overreacted. Simple as that.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Consumers keep Apple in existence by buying their products. If you spent money on Apple goodies, you're already part of the "community." It isn't just small-time developers.

And MDN's record about these events has been historically on the mark.

1. MacDailyNews was right about Macworld Boston w/o Apple.

2. MacDailyNews was right about Macworld NYC w/o Apple.

3. MacDailyNews is right about Macworld SF w/o Apple.

MDN's views about this have been consistent and actually correct.

It's not nice to poo-poo an Apple-centric event designed to strengthen the community, but on the other hand MDN's take on this has been historically correct.

MDN didn't pull any punches this time and people got butthurt over it.

If you're a regular at MDN you'll also notice that it happens to be the usual anti-Apple trolls jumping all over MDN like they do over Apple in other threads. Just like here on AI.

No one is saying Macworld isn't a good thing, but that without Apple in attendance it might be quite difficult to make it as great as it once was. Part of the problem are the Macworld organizers themselves. It's not like it was years ago.

So although MDN might be unduly harsh, they're right when they say "we're not saying don't go." And they're also right when they say it might not be any fun.

MDN didn't ruin Macworld. Macworld did and Apple did. For now, Apple seems to be the party that has remained unaffected. Make of that what you will.

Hopefully, Macworld will be awesome this time around. Regardless of MDN's prescience about this, I do hope SteveJack (of MDN) eats his words. Nothing would be better than to see a strong Apple community coming out to celebrate Apple and demo some great things. Now that we've got the iPad the situation might improve, with many more small developers taking part in community events.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If you're a regular at MDN you'll also notice that it happens to be the usual anti-Apple trolls jumping all over MDN like they do over Apple in other threads. Just like here on AI.

A lot of remarks to MDN were from registered users, some who been there for some time and unlikely to be trolls who usually are IP banned right off.

Quote:

No one is saying Macworld isn't a good thing, but that without Apple in attendance it might be quite difficult to make it as great as it once was. Part of the problem are the Macworld organizers themselves. It's not like it was years ago.

What I've read is the problem was that Apple wasn't doing too well when Steve first returned to Apple and IDG had to move the NY event to Boston to save money.

Steve declined, most likely didn't want to pony up the difference to stay in NY, so he pulled Apple out totally, knowing it would die without them being present.

It was a very confusing and troubling time for Apple and this pullout was most likely not a good long term decision as the event could have been moved back to NY when the company was doing better.

What the result has been is now a lot of present and would be developers don't go to the event because Apple isn't there to give direction, which has resulted in a loss of attention to development for the Mac and the general decline in the event itself.

The die is cast, just have to accept the unfortunate, but MDN should have acted with care and compassion, report the news and regret the decline of such a great and fun event that MacWorld used to be.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

IDG? Are you kidding me? They run any conference they can make a buck on. Their relationship was pretty rocky with Apple...MacWorld without Apple is like GoogleIO without Google.

Well the purpose of any business is to make a buck, but MacWorld provided a gathering place of people associated with the Mac platform to promote the platform and keep it alive.

So many forget that it was the Mac community, and events like MacWorld, that kept Apple Computer alive so it can return like it has now.

Quote:

Or you and a bunch of others overreacted. Simple as that.

Obviously your not old enough or never have attended a MacWorld.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Sayeth the one acting like the wounded kiddie wanna-be troll.

Hey noob, yeah you 'tripper, the one posting at a ridiculous rate for one not even here a year, from one that has been here over 5 years: Get a Life™. Not everything you read on the net is high emotion newsworthy. Whinghing here about some other sites policies is one thing. Trying to pull a cross-site quoted for truth is kinda "Bad Form". Get over it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Sayeth the one acting like the wounded kiddie wanna-be troll.

Hey noob, yeah you 'tripper, the one posting at a ridiculous rate for one not even here a year, from one that has been here over 5 years: Get a Life?. Not everything you read on the net is high emotion newsworthy. Whinghing about some other sites policies here is one thing. Trying to pull a cross-site quoted for truth is kinda "Bad Form". Get over it.

Quote:

50/50 I still have a Platinum Plus older than you. I was likely writing cross platform software on a Mac before you were out of your diapers. I still have my Mac-In-Tax diskettes that are old enough to drink!

When you don't go to a tradeshow to be impressed by marketing drones over-excited rants, you realize it's really a seedy sad place where few things ever change. Mainstream products that dump big dollars into the press get rave reviews and most of the awards; a token new company is chosen for an award to cover the fact that the big ad buyers are getting everything else; and everything tends to have an ersatz shine of wonderfulness that is gone the first day back in the office looking at that swag haul.

You want me/us to wax nostalgic over that?