Bill Gates unimpressed by Apple iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

For once I agree with bill gates. The iPad really is unimpressive.

While that may be true for you, the AVERAGE person will totally love it and want it in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 42 of 410
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I find it hypocritical that a marketing guy that never really invented anything except DOS says "no biggie" to something he doesn't really know anything about.

Bill Gates knows innovation like Donald Trump knows how to mop his floor.

There is some controversy who actually invented DOS. DOS was written by Tim Patterson who was later hired by MS. The controversy is whether it was based upon CP/M a program written to run pre 8086 computers, written by Gary Kildall. BG heard that IBM was looking for a program to run their 8086 computers and hired Tim Patterson after he had written QDOS. So BG didn't invent DOS, he saw the potential, had IBM as a client and seized upon an opportunity, the rest is history.
  • Reply 43 of 410
    The quick one-liner: Of course he's not impressed; it doesn't run Windows.

More seriously: Gates's not being impressed is indicative of the DNA of Microsoft's mindset. They're very serious about computing up in Redmond, which has led them to create products -- a few of them pretty good -- for "serious" computing. (Well, and gaming, though people are even more serious about that.) The result has been a flat-footed inability to predict, let alone respond to, the computing needs of the so-called consumer market. I think the iPad will be fairly successful, especially when the price drops, particularly because it is not a "serious" computing accessory. Indeed Apple's skill is at making its computing power invisible, which has hobbled its efforts in the "serious" world. Fortunately for us and Apple, the time when computing is for serious tasks only is over.
  • Reply 44 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Nobody has to spin anything to be impressed by 0.5", 1.5 lb device, that has a 9.7" web browser.

Not when it's dictated for use with one browser only that can't play flash. Sorry.
  • Reply 45 of 410
    Quote:

..... like Donald Trump knows how to mop his floor.

(Totally off-topic, sorry!) Donald's hair always somehow reminded me of a mop in and of itself.....
  • Reply 46 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

While that may be true for you, the AVERAGE person will totally love it and want it in a heartbeat.

The same AVERAGE person that loves Windows and Cheez-its?
  • Reply 47 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"...But there?s nothing on the iPad I look at and say, 'Oh, I wish Microsoft had done it.'"

Funny -- I look at OSX, and I see plenty that I wish Microsoft had done. They can't even copy with the same success.

What people should be asking now: "Where/what will the iPad be in 2-3 years?" The ball is just starting to roll.
  • Reply 48 of 410
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Not when it's dictated for use with one browser only that can't play flash. Sorry.

Your arrogance and insolence that is your "posting style" does not garner you any favor, or make you any more "correct", I hope you understand that.

Like plenty of people, I use Safari because it simply works better, and I use ClicktoFlash to improve the performance even further. How would the iPad not apply to me then?

If you want to argue that there are large percentage of people who would miss Flash from their daily tasks, I would never disagree with that.

When you pretend, as you do day in day out, that Flash is all important to the web, you make yourself look uninformed.
  • Reply 49 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Steve Jobs is the 'Marketing Guy' that the OP was claiming Gates to be, are you really arguing that point?

Steve Jobs was a programmer 30 years ago(not a very good one).

Steve Jobs is not an engineer but he did like to tinker with electronics 30 yrs ago.

Steve Jobs is a Visionary with an excellent understanding of technology, design, marketing, business and most importantly, people.

Bill Gates was a smart guy who was in THE right place at the right time and had a one-hit-wonder. All the subsequent successes and failures of Microsoft have little to do with him.
  • Reply 50 of 410
    Quote:

Steve Jobs was a programmer 30 years ago(not a very good one).

Steve Jobs is not an engineer but he did like to tinker with electronics 30 yrs ago.

Steve Jobs is a Visionary with an excellent understanding of technology, design, marketing, business and most importantly, people.

Bill Gates was a smart guy who was in THE right place at the right time and had a one-hit-wonder. All the subsequent successes and failures of Microsoft have little to do with him.

Steve Jobs is all that and a salesman foremost.

Google PT Barnum.
  • Reply 51 of 410
    Gates has repeatedly been pushing for the tablet form factor more more than 10 years.

With the Origami project being the last outing for Mr. Bill's tablet adventure.

So perhaps the problem is that the world was simply not impressed by the Microsoft Tablet.

Every Windows based tablet has performed badly in the marketplace because Microsoft failed to understand that a new form-factor needs a new interface.

It not surprising that Bill is upset.

C.
  • Reply 52 of 410
    Quote:

We have no clue if the average user is going to have any interest in the iPad. We should at least wait until its been available for a while.

With that being said love or hate them Bill Gates and Steve Jobs will go down in history as the pioneers of the technology age. So the fact that Steve Jobs has made many comments about his competitors Bill Gates also has the right and when either speaks they are taken seriously.

Bill Gates is simply giving his opinion, something Steve Jobs does often.
  • Reply 53 of 410
    Quote:

Your arrogance and insolence that is your "posting style" does not garner you any favor, or make you any more "correct", I hope you understand that.

Like plenty of people, I use Safari because it simply works better, and I use ClicktoFlash to improve the performance even further. How would the iPad not apply to me then?

If you want to argue that there are large percentage of people who would miss Flash from their daily tasks, I would never disagree with that.

When you pretend, as you do day in day out, that Flash is all important to the web, you make yourself look uninformed.

I don't pretend anything. It's you that's pretending something "just works" when you have to add to it your almighty ClicktoFlash to get it to work properly. \
  • Reply 54 of 410
    Quote:

I find it hypocritical that a marketing guy that never really invented anything except DOS says "no biggie" to something he doesn't really know anything about.

Bill Gates knows innovation like Donald Trump knows how to mop his floor.

Bill gates BOUGHT DOS for $75,000.
  • Reply 55 of 410
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Nobody has to spin anything to be impressed by 0.5", 1.5 lb device, that has a 9.7" web browser.

What happen to your modest proposal to ignore these trolls?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

okay, what about a device that's 4.1 x 2.4 x .41? (the ipod)

If you can those dimensions to still have a 10" display I'll be at your house today with a briefcase full of money, my lawyers and a business plan.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

I have an iPhone, I have a MacBook so the iPad would have to do something that these devices can't or can't with ease. I just don't see it.

I guess I could be completely wrong. I wasn't too impressed with the iPod either and that certainly changed the game.

We're in the same boat. We both have 13" notebooks that we bought for being highly portable and an iPhone to fill the gap for when we need a pocketable and handheld device. The space between is too small to require an iPad.

Also, I find a need for the iPod until the iPod Mini. And I know many who didn't want an iPhone until after the App Store appeared. It's possible our requirements will change and we'll find a use for the iPad in our lives. We're still likely over a month away from the initial launch so this is expected. I do see that this will be a huge hit with others with more traditional computing habits.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Steve Jobs is a master marketer. There is no debating that point. But, no, I don't think that that was the previous poster's argument. The argument is about the original claim that Steve Jobs never developed, engineered, or designed anything. That assertion is laughable. He may not be a developer or engineer himself, but he has been known to spend YEARS with teams of engineers and developers trying to get a single product right. Sometimes, the product never meets his design standards, and he scraps the whole thing.

He is VERY MUCH involved in the design process. Is ANYBODY really arguing THAT point?

I agree.
  • Reply 56 of 410
    You mean that amazing tech visionary, Bill Gates?

LOL
  • Reply 57 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doug Halfen View Post

Funny -- I look at OSX, and I see plenty that I wish Microsoft had done. They can't even copy with the same success.

What people should be asking now: "Where/what will the iPad be in 2-3 years?" The ball is just starting to roll.

Exactly. There were iPhone naysayers who claimed it would be doomed without a hardware keyboard, MMS and tethering. Eventually Apple added MMS and people realized that software keyboards have advatages over physical ones. As far as tethering goes I know quite a lot of people who realized there iPhone allows them to do a lot more than their tethered laptop did and they stopped lugging it around.

In time Apple will add a camera and everyone will use it for a week and then forget about it. In time Apple will release iPhone OS 4.0 and you'll get your multitasking. By this time Apple will probably have sold several million iPads without cameras and multitasking. Apple will be crying all the way to the bank.
  • Reply 58 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

I don't pretend anything. It's you that's pretending something "just works" when you have to add to it your almighty ClicktoFlash to get it to work properly. \

What the F are you talking about "Click to Flash" is to TURN OFF Flash. You do not need it to make Flash work there Spanky.
  • Reply 59 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

We have no clue if the average user is going to have any interest in the iPad.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ipad.requests/

Norwegian resellers forced to halt Apple iPad pre-orders due to "crazy interest"

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 04:53 PM EST

Apple is facing the rare incident of an advance sellout this week as a number of Norwegian resellers have had to stop their pre-order programs for the iPad. Eplehuset (Apple House) has told its customers that "crazy interest" has led it to stop sales in advance. Fellow Apple reseller Humac has also quietly pulled the iPad, as it still has a category but no longer has active product pages.

It's believed that the sites took thousands of advance orders for the touchscreen device and that, unusually, the largest portion of orders skew heavily towards the more expensive 64GB iPad with 3G. Norwegian prices are also expected to be disproportionately high as a 16GB, Wi-Fi only iPad may cost 3790 Krone, or about $636.

Most retailers elsewhere in the world haven't taken pre-orders, making it difficult to gauge how reflective Norway's surprise may be of actual overall demand. However, the smaller population compared to some of Apple's larger markets suggests that unofficial pre-orders should be larger where they exist in the US.

A strong build-up isn't uncharacteristic for e-reader devices, as Barnes & Noble had to delay retail Nook sales for months. Such delays have usually been attributed to low production rather than sheer demand, however, and have rarely been given concrete numbers to gauge actual interest.

Also, such demand isn't known to have been seen before for tablet computers, which usually ship in lower numbers as a whole and are noticeably less common in Europe or the Americas than in southeast Asian countries like Korea. [via iPod1]"

• Reply 60 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What happen to your modest proposal to ignore these trolls?

I thought name calling wasn't allowed on here??