Bill Gates unimpressed by Apple iPad

17810121321

Comments

  • Reply 181 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post


    Why? Are you participating in some sort of contest?



    Do you cheer on your favorite brand of soda pop too?



    What the heck do you care about the relative impressions of these two product categories?



    I'm stating why I think the iPad will be a success when compared with what the naysayers are suggesting. What are you doing on this thread, then?



    Sure, I'd love to see multitasking and an optimized Flash solution. I also see why Apple is betting against Flash in this fight.



    But one thing is for certain. A modified desktop OS on a tablet device, running the same desktop applications designed for non-tablet devices, is destined for failure. A tablet running a desktop OS and desktop applications on a ultra-low power mobile processor is destined for failure.



    Have you ever tried playing a game while having a chat app open and playing music at the same time on an Atom or Via netbook? Sure, you can do it. But it's an absolutely horrible experience.
  • Reply 182 of 410
    I'd be curious to know what Gates' FIRST comments about the iPhone were when it originally came out. Bet they were not nearly as positive as his comments about it are now in retrospect. Same thing might happen with the iPad. It was bad enough that he had to admit that Apple ate his lunch on the smart phone. It will be traumatic if he has to watch as Apple does it again, this time with something that has been near and dear to his heart.
  • Reply 183 of 410
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post


    The Windows interface is one of the most successful ever. Would you want it on a tablet? If not, how does your argument make sense?



    Successful in the sense that pretty much anybody can pick it up and use it with no prior experience. As an experienced computer user you are blinded to the brilliance of the iPhone OS / gui
  • Reply 184 of 410
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post


    It seems that few see its potential.



    I think that many, many folks see the potential of a great tablet computer. But many of those same folks are quite disappointed with the Apple offering.



    It is a matter of seeing potential, and being disappointed with Apple's implementation.



    I think that potentially, a tablet could be great for surfing the 'web and watching videos. But Apple's device will not work on most video sites, and it includes some sort of compromise that resulted in an antique aspect ratio.



    I saw the potential for this sort of a device in 2001 when MS announced the new OS. But I'm still waiting for the potential to be realized.
  • Reply 185 of 410
    Right on!
  • Reply 186 of 410
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    LOL. I think if they banned members for saying fanboy half the forum would have been banned by now.



    true, but the one thing I enjoy here more than anything is that it is an intelligent forum by and large. Nothing is more offensive than stupidity. Stupidity can be subjective of course, but I believe the term fanboy crosses all divides and is just stupid, plain and simple. When the term fanboy is used in an argument for instance, the discussion is immediately broken. There is no response possible that can do the subject justice as the argument suddenly entered the realm of stupid.
  • Reply 187 of 410
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CdnBook View Post


    So I can't post a link to an article on my personal blog (which by the way, has zero adds on it), about a topic relevant to this thread?



    I don't even think you read it.



    Of course not. I never click on spam links.
  • Reply 188 of 410
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    ...Carrying the new interface over from the iPhone / Touch guarantees that millions of users are already familiar with the device. When launching an entirely new device that is bound to meet with a certain degree of resistance (cough cough). Besides, the interface must be one of the most successful ever so why change it?



    Lower costs are another reason, it's software reuse. And multi-touch

    is innovative. OS X -based MacPads are only a few years away besides

    (not counting the unofficial Mac Tablet) .
  • Reply 189 of 410
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    Successful in the sense that pretty much anybody can pick it up and use it with no prior experience. As an experienced computer user you are blinded to the brilliance of the iPhone OS / gui



    Oh. Ok. I thought you were using the word successful in a different manner.
  • Reply 190 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post


    Why? Are you participating in some sort of contest?



    Do you cheer on your favorite brand of soda pop too?



    What the heck do you care about the relative impressions of these two product categories?



    New to consumer electonics are you? First lesson, a new device's success is tied to the amount of media available, the number and quality of apps available, and the number and quality of accessories available. In turn, the media, apps, and accessories developed are driven by the device's success. It's the great circle of gadget life. Nice soda pop analogy, though. Totally apt.
  • Reply 191 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    true, but the one thing I enjoy here more than anything is that it is an intelligent forum by and large. Nothing is more offensive than stupidity. Stupidity can be subjective of course, but I believe the term fanboy crosses all divides and is just stupid, plain and simple. When the term fanboy is used in an argument for instance, the discussion is immediately broken. There is no response possible that can do the subject justice as the argument suddenly entered the realm of stupid.



    +1



    Well said. The grammar alone on some other forums makes me cringe.
  • Reply 192 of 410
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    Your need for 'newness' makes you miss the bigger picture (as usual). Carrying the new interface over from the iPhone / Touch guarantees that millions of users are already familiar with the device. When launching an entirely new device that is bound to meet with a certain degree of resistance (cough cough). Besides, the interface must be one of the most successful ever so why change it?



    They were smart, as expected. They used familiar UI elements but redesigned it to make it ideal for the device. I'm not completely happy with the keyboard or the Home Screen but the app layouts are top notch.
  • Reply 193 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post


    I'd appreciate seeing your list.



    I assume that it does not contain applications that are easily possible on a laptop.



    I honestly wonder how and why the 'Pad can do things better than a small laptop. iSteve boasted that it did (in a roundabout manner) and then failed to give a single example. Indeed, he claimed that the 'Pad would have to some things better than a laptop in order to be viable, but then utterly failed to make his case that the 'Pad was superior in any manner.



    So what is on your list? I'd love to check it out.



    It fits in a bag better than any laptop.

    It provides a way better browsing experience than any small laptop.

    It provides a better ebook reading experience than any laptop.

    It has a better touchscreen than any currently available laptop.

    It integrates music playback features better than any small laptop.

    It's way better at accelerometer-based tasks than any laptop.

    It syncs your data with your main computer more easily than any laptop.

    It's a better virtual musical instrument than any laptop.

    It's a better game machine than any netbook.

    It's better for watching a movie during a cramped commute than any laptop.

    It's a better device for anyone who needs to use it while standing (i.e. doctors) than any laptop.

    It's a better kitchen wall or refrigerator front internet device than any laptop.

    It's a better textbook replacement than any laptop.



    I'm sure I could think of more. I'm sure you could deny a few of the above, but if you're being honest, you have to agree that most of them are pretty clear advantages for the iPad.
  • Reply 194 of 410
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    And it has iWork!
  • Reply 195 of 410
    irelandireland Posts: 17,771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post


    Yeah? Like what? What will it "become" that a "laptop could never be"?



    I realize that iSteve made the claim that it can do things better than any laptop, but he didn't give a single example.



    What are the examples of this?



    Reading is one example. Air Hockey. Digital Board Games. Internet in your hands etc. This device has to be used to be understood, I have been blessed with imagination--so it's easier for me.



    The premise here is that because the whole interface is a screen that can display anything, the device "becomes" the thing it's doing. Whereas for example: a laptop does more, but it can't help like always "feel" like a laptop. It sounds like a subtle difference, but I believe it's all the difference in the world.



    If you're playing Air Hockey the tablet is an Air Hockey table - if you're reading a book the tablet is a book - if you're playing poker the tablet is a poker table - If you're watching a movie the table is the movie - if you're surfing the web the tablet is the web. It's not just an illusion that works, but one that people will understand. It's none of these right click, left click unnatural abstraction metaphors - you actually "touch stuff". When you tap a button with your hand it does "it", and because the screen is the device it feels better.



    Don't get me wrong, laptops aren't going anywhere, but times are changing.
  • Reply 196 of 410
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    It fits in a bag better than any laptop.

    It provides a way better browsing experience than any small laptop.

    It provides a better ebook reading experience than any laptop.

    It has a better touchscreen than any currently available laptop.

    It integrates music playback features better than any small laptop.

    It's way better at accelerometer-based tasks than any laptop.

    It syncs your data with your main computer more easily than any laptop.

    It's a better virtual musical instrument than any laptop.

    It's a better game machine than any netbook.

    It's better for watching a movie during a cramped commute than any laptop.

    It's a better device for anyone who needs to use it while standing (i.e. doctors) than any laptop.

    It's a better kitchen wall or refrigerator front internet device than any laptop.

    It's a better textbook replacement than any laptop.



    I'm sure I could think of more. I'm sure you could deny a few of the above, but if you're being honest, you have to agree that most of them are pretty clear advantages for the iPad.



    Nice list. Yes, indeed, I disagree with many of the claims, but there are enough niche uses there (virtual musical instrument, for example) that I can see it has some unique abilities.
  • Reply 197 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    true, but the one thing I enjoy here more than anything is that it is an intelligent forum by and large. Nothing is more offensive than stupidity. Stupidity can be subjective of course, but I believe the term fanboy crosses all divides and is just stupid, plain and simple. When the term fanboy is used in an argument for instance, the discussion is immediately broken. There is no response possible that can do the subject justice as the argument suddenly entered the realm of stupid.



    I will agree without a doubt the terms Fanboy and Troll are thrown around too much on this forum. Myself being guilty of both at some point. I think many of us including myself can do a little better job at common respect in regards to other members.
  • Reply 198 of 410
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I'm not completely happy with the keyboard or the Home Screen but the app layouts are top notch.



    Do you mean on the iPad? I haven't actually seen one but the keyboard looks good to me from afar. (its bigger) I would like to see the ability to customize the home screen with 'widgets', however. (iPad spaces?) Maybe that could appear and disappear with a swipe.
  • Reply 199 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post


    Are you claiming that 90% or so of desktop/laptop users are geeks?

    Or would you allow that many more types of folks, other than geeks, also are comfortable with the MS "approach"?



    Or what?



    Well now that you ask... I know many people who are "comfortable" with Windows beacause they have to be... but absolutely no one that really "likes it"... or loves it. Not one person.



    On the other hand, those that have switched to Apple devices, either at my behest or simply on their own... are always telling me how they "love their iPhone", or their new MB or MBP.



    For many people, Windows is the only choice (business, games, and cheap). Again, it doesn't make using it any more pleasant and gratifying.



    And just because Windows is the market-share and cost leader in computing devices, does NOT make them the best UI or user experience.... and I wouldn't say they "won" anything really. They simply are the GM of computer software.
  • Reply 200 of 410
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kabelabs View Post


    i don't see how microsoft has failed in regards to tablet computers. i don't think they have tried to make any.



    then what the heck did Ballmer try to show/say at CES this year? Gates/MS has been talking "tablet" for a decade, back to Oragami and before. lately they have attempted to adapt Windows 7 to a touch UI (it doesn't work well). they keep trying the same doomed concept over and over - converting a full complex desktop OS to tablet format. they don't get that the entire software package - both OS and all the apps - have to be re-thought and re-designed from the ground up for that very different circumstance.



    or rather they did once way back, and created Windows CE in the 90's. now Windows Mobile, it's dying thanks to a decade of poor execution. it was still hung up on needing a stylus until just last year - clearly a fixation of Gates and his progeny at MS.



    Gates record on the iPod is revealing. as many here have noted, he said almost the same thing in 2003 about it as he did this week about the iPad. but his recently released emails from that same period in 2003 show he realized what a breakthrough the iTunes deal with the music companies was. so clearly, it's the "partner" deals that are most important in Gates thinking. which means he is probably very worried about the print media content deals Jobs is making right now for the iBook store, just like he did then for the iTunes Store. and he should be. MS has absolutely nothing comparable to offer at all.



    once again Gates and MS are being "smoked" by Jobs and Apple. like one poster said far below, his whining is the famous Gates' "kiss of success."
Sign In or Register to comment.