Bill Gates unimpressed by Apple iPad

Comments

• Reply 301 of 410
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

Too bad, so sad when they have to nit pick!!

I like the thought of more real estate on the desktop. That's why last year I replaced my 20" iMac to a 24" iMac. The iPad with a bigger screen might be good for some of us with older eyes too.

No, no, no... you upgraded from a 20" to a 24"? How unimpressive!
  • Reply 302 of 410
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

the PC synch will back up the iPad and the other things you mention, so i don't see the problem there.

I was skimming and I misread Robin Huber's and your reply to infer that it could be a standalone device. I was going much further and seeing potential for this being the only device in certain households. eg: People that typically do the most rudimentary of computing (mail and safari), and students who are on a tight budget. Hence my comments about would would need to happen to make this a stand alone machine.
  • Reply 303 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Raskin never did get any press, certainly not more than Alan Kay, so that's kind of a deceptive statement. Besides, it isn't a competition.

Like hell - name dropping serves no other purpose than imagined competition.

As far as press, every time the late Mr. Raskin opened his mouth it was to remind people he started the Macintosh project. For every, single, year after he left Apple, and in every book about Apple (there's more than 1 - and they come off printing presses). Google and find out for yourself. In the meantime, Kay, the person who accomplished far more at Xerox from coming up with portable computing to the whole fundimental concept of UI (as opposed to Raskin's "look I'm a UI god too" rants which are also all over the net) never went out of his way to self-promote himself or grouse about all the ways he didn't get the "credit he deserved".

History is written by the winners. If that's not competition - what is? Example: Go to China - ask the winners about Tiananmen Square, Tibet, or Taiwan.
  • Reply 304 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

No, no, no... you upgraded from a 20" to a 24"? How unimpressive!

It would have been the 27" iMac but unfortunately I bought the 24" iMac before they were announced. No complaints. Btw, to some, size doesn't matter.
  • Reply 305 of 410
    The iPad will blow everything else away.

It will set a new mark for game/content/communication/information devices.

Steve jobs is a true visionary.

Apple makes the most insanely great/coolest/best products in the world.

/R
  • Reply 306 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

But at least they happen in the background

I was hoping for a hard drive version of the iPad for this reason - would love to dump my photos while shooting. Actually, with the wi-fi grip from Canon (or the newer Eye-fi that can work with ad-hoc wireless) and a hard drive based iPad in my backback....

Where's that homer drool icon???

lol - time will tell. Actually, instead of importing what if iAperture just did a "referenced master" thing with the RAW files? Suck in the smaller JPEGs for basic organization, but leave the larger RAW files alone? Yeah, you would need more cards and it wouldn't give you that often desired second copy, but it could be a useful compromise.

Naw, on second thought I like my wi-fi/hard drive iPad vision better

I suspect that a hard drive would just not allow for the sleek form factor, would impact battery life, and just be out of place. If Apple could have done this with hard drive components, the iPad would have come to market sooner than this. Apple waited for flash memory to come down enough to make this work, not to mention battery technology to catch up to the targets this device meets.

Down the road this device might well be able to work well for photography but that time isn't now. Still, you have to start somewhere.
  • Reply 307 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Like hell - name dropping serves no other purpose than imagined competition.

As far as press, every time the late Mr. Raskin opened his mouth it was to remind people he started the Macintosh project. For every, single, year after he left Apple, and in every book about Apple (there's more than 1 - and they come off printing presses). Google and find out for yourself. In the meantime, Kay, the person who accomplished far more at Xerox from coming up with portable computing to the whole fundimental concept of UI (as opposed to Raskin's "look I'm a UI god too" rants which are also all over the net) never went out of his way to self-promote himself or grouse about all the ways he didn't get the "credit he deserved".

History is written by the winners. If that's not competition - what is? Example: Go to China - ask the winners about Tiananmen Square, Tibet, or Taiwan.

Huh? I mentioned Raskin because of his UI theories, which (ironically, if you will) may be the direction Apple is headed today. As I said, I thought had he lived that he might feel vindicated with the release of the iPad, which I meant literally, since he certainly seemed to feel like Jobs crushed him under his heal. Which he did.

Anyhow, yes, I know how annoying he could be about his role in the Mac project. I met him at MWSF once. Saw his badge, did a double-take and stopped to talk with him for awhile. When I introduced myself the first thing he said was "Welcome to my show!" So I knew what I was in for. But we did have an interesting conversation after that. He sent me a copy of his book .
  • Reply 308 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I suspect that a hard drive would just not allow for the sleek form factor, would impact battery life, and just be out of place. If Apple could have done this with hard drive components, the iPad would have come to market sooner than this. Apple waited for flash memory to come down enough to make this work, not to mention battery technology to catch up to the targets this device meets.

Down the road this device might well be able to work well for photography but that time isn't now. Still, you have to start somewhere.

The only way an SSD would fit in the iPad was if it was a 1.8" HDD, not a2.5" drive. As I recall, the power usage stats aren't shown to be that different on the MBA with a 1.8" HDD compared to a 1.8" SSD. The drive is so small and designed to be more power efficient for handhelds, it's the larger drives that need all the power. But that is beside the point since Apple isn't likely using an expensive SSD solution, but NAND built right onto the logic board. This offers cost savings while also allowing it to be more efficient in several way.

Flash memory was the only way to go going into the future. The new NAND 3-bit design will add 50% more capacity for the same volume. Then there is halving of the size. I don't think it'll be more than 2 years before we start seeing 2.5" HDDs being bested in capacity (not price) by 2.5" SSDs of the same height. HDDs just doing increase that much.

The 1.8" HDDs are growing even slower. The maximum is 160GB for the drive that came out in September. Intel already matches that size with a 160GB SSD and I think they did that before the 160GB single platter HDD was announced. So we're already seeing HDDs get taking in capacity for the same size drive.

If we consider that 2.5" SSDs are 7mm instead of the 9.5mm found in notebooks right now and lose a platter to do a direct comparison we see that the game is even closer. Of course, notebooks do have spaces for 9.5" drives (Apple's ODDs are 9.5mm, too) so that point is moot, but eventually they will want to go thinner and they will see SSDs and no ODDs as the way to do it so I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Apple sport HDDs with one less platter in them.
  • Reply 309 of 410
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

But that's exactly what excites me about the iPad for my parents. All they want to do is read email, visit a few web sites and my mother want's quicken. That's pretty much it! I don't see my mom giving up her iMac, but I see the iPad as being perfect for my father who mainly wants to send email to his friends and occasionally read some web sites. Well, that and read newspapers or magazines - he actually asked me about electronic books on the iPad - you could have knocked me over with a feather. When my 72 year old father starts asking about ebooks and electronic newspapers on an iPad that had only been announced for two days (and I hadn't talked with them about it yet) you know Apple is getting broad penetration.

I think far more "average" people get it than the tech press wants to admit.

I understand that, but I think it is more because of your influence than your parents free will

What I'm trying to say is - I doubt your parents - or my parents, matter of fact - would walk into IT shop on their own and decide to get iPad, without your (mine) guiding... so in a way, it is more your decision than theirs.

But that being said, yes I do see iPad (or anything like it) great for parents category. My mother is using computer only to Skype with me, and will type an email once in a month or so (sending some recipes to my wife sort of emails). However, she is kind of dinosaur - a generation that didn't catch Internet/personal computing virus. I'm pretty sure in her age I'll still demand much more from my computing appliances, whatever they turn to be in 20 or 30 years time. Of course iPad 15, available then, will be much more than this one, but as a general principle I'd like this iPad to be closer to Mac than to iPod - that's all.
  • Reply 310 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Building previews isn't fast with Aperture, either. I shudder to think how long it's going to take to upload and build previews after my upcoming 3 week trip to New Zealand with my new 18 MP 7D. Especially because I'm not taking a laptop with me and will have to upload them all when I get home.

On the one hand, it'd be nice to have something as small/lightweight as an iPad to have all that done by the time I get home. On the other hand, the thought of uploading that much data over USB/dock is kinda painful, too. (Not to mention that the iPad's camera connection is probably going to be pretty slow compared to my ExpressCard reader.)

Dammit, you are ruining my iPad buzz.

I am ruining my iPad buzz as well! That is what I keep saying - I'd like iPad form with decent processing power (Core 2 Duo ULV?) and trimmed OSX optimized for touch interface, still capable of running full desktop apps (like Aperture or Lightroom)... with, say, one or two USB ports for attaching external USB HDD.

Aww...

So how's 7D working for you? I envy you so much!
  • Reply 311 of 410
    Quote:

But at least they happen in the background

I was hoping for a hard drive version of the iPad for this reason - would love to dump my photos while shooting. Actually, with the wi-fi grip from Canon (or the newer Eye-fi that can work with ad-hoc wireless) and a hard drive based iPad in my backback....

Where's that homer drool icon???

lol - time will tell. Actually, instead of importing what if iAperture just did a "referenced master" thing with the RAW files? Suck in the smaller JPEGs for basic organization, but leave the larger RAW files alone? Yeah, you would need more cards and it wouldn't give you that often desired second copy, but it could be a useful compromise.

Naw, on second thought I like my wi-fi/hard drive iPad vision better

iPad hard drive...... drooooolllll......

But there is a point - much more people will want iPad for browsing web and such, than for dumping, organizing and procesing RAW images... so... \
  • Reply 312 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Anyhow, yes, I know how annoying he could be about his role in the Mac project. I met him at MWSF once. Saw his badge, did a double-take and stopped to talk with him for awhile. When I introduced myself the first thing he said was "Welcome to my show!" So I knew what I was in for. But we did have an interesting conversation after that. He sent me a copy of his book .

That IS cool. I like Nerderatti stories. I've met Woz a couple of times - but he's Apple's semi-official spokesnerd which means anyone is guaranteed to run into him more times than any metaphor involving swinging cats anywhere between Los Gatos and San Francisco. Tip tho - anywhere he's at - Andy Hertzfeld is probably nearby, and he's also a good talker. For another ego contrast - compare Howard Warshaw to Al Acorn (both of Atari fame). The later is always good for a comment at CAX, and adds great insight on any of the panels he's been on (different stories everytime too - like the fact he interviewed Steve Jobs when he was hired at Atari - that one's hillarious). The former sells life-story DVDs and wears T-Shirts espousing himself. Talk about wearing it on your sleeve.
  • Reply 313 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You do know you're wrong, right? I suppose not, but then I'd assumed you'd have not shot your mouth off if you had been in NeXT/Apple Engineering design labs where prototyping took/takes place.

Software programming is NOT ENGINEERING. Get it through your brain.

Bill Gates oversaw his products and prototypes while driving the direction he saw for each product.

Paul Allen was the software head and founder of Microsoft [Bill's Boss] before they screwed him out of it. He's the programming genius.

Steve Jobs does know how to write some ObjC and he's got decades of industrial design input.

He also designed the NeXT Computer Inc Robotic Assembly Plant. It was his vision to the core. He picked out the materials, the assembly systems he wanted installed and how they all worked together.

He hired the talent to assemble it under his specs.

Did he come up with the design of the iMac? Yes. He took his look to Ive and they co-designed it down to the finished product.

He drove it just like he drove every design at NeXT and every design at Apple with Ive refining his vision.

Did Ive actually Engineer anything? No. He's an Industrial Designer. He's akin to the Architect who then passes it off to the Structural Engineer who invalidates his work throughout the process until it's structurally sound.

Did Ive design the implementation of any IC boards? No. He designed a layout of how he wanted the basic Mac Pro tower to look and worked with Engineers to refine the look--all then refined by Jobs.

People call him a visionary because he's got his hands into how he wants all the products to look and work.

Talk about popping off with factual incorrect information...
  • Reply 314 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]and...

What exactly does the iPad do that any number of other (more capable/versatile) 'devices' do far better at a much lower price point?

Exactly... Nothing! (at least at this point)[/CENTER]

It will probably work well.

What other tablets are less expensive than the iPad? The Archos 9 is a POS, and costs more.
  • Reply 315 of 410
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Right now, the device is positioned only as an accessory device to a proper PC where it can sync with iTunes. Everything is setup for all those things to happen quickly,

I wouldn't discount Mobile.Me. Right now you can add content via the iTunes and App Store applications - it isn't inconceivable that a student could sync the iPad at home to kick it off and then maintain it via the cloud or mobile.me. We just don't know, but I guarantee Apple has plans - they are building that big data center for something
  • Reply 316 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

iPad hard drive...... drooooolllll......

But there is a point - much more people will want iPad for browsing web and such, than for dumping, organizing and procesing RAW images... so... \

It would be a niche market, certainly, but I would think that Apple would welcome broadening the device's appeal over time. It's going to take a while but technology marches on and an expansion of the iPad's capabilities is inevitable.

I spent around $300 last year for a netbook, specifically to have a place to store lots of HD video footage while on vacation. This isn't something that I need to do on a regular basis, unlike a lot of other people who do, so I can consider replacing my netbook with the iPad but it would be great to have the option of using the iPad to do something that the cheaper netbook handled with ease.

Long-term, I have to think that Apple would love to add functionality that helps out photographers and videographers. Not a priority, maybe, but on Apple's radar.

The iPad will be like everything else in Apple's stable of products, a forever evolving technology. It's the starting point, not the final destination.
  • Reply 317 of 410
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I find it hypocritical that a marketing guy that never really invented anything except DOS says "no biggie" to something he doesn't really know anything about.

Bill Gates knows innovation like Donald Trump knows how to mop his floor.

Microsoft didn't invent DOS. They bought that from Seattle Associates for a pittance after promising it first to IBM.

Microsoft didn't even invent Windows NT either. That was a DEC project. You think that Microsoft had the capability to port their OS to something other than x86? As part of a deal with DEC, DEC gave Microsoft what became NT on the promise that Microsoft would continue to support their DEC Alpha chip. Microsoft barely did so.
  • Reply 318 of 410
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I agree, that's why I didn't expect it \ It still would have been nice. Who knows, maybe I can attach a USB hub and plug in a USB hard drive and reader at the same time and do everything I want - with 20 minute battery time

Quote:

While I agree you have to start somewhere I don't ever expect Apple to add a hard drive. Frankly I'm surprised the iPod classic has survived as long as it has. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple doesn't buy all the capacity for Intel and Micron's new 25nm flash technology and put a couple hundred gigs or more in an iPad within the next year - that would be more likely to me than seeing them put in a hard drive. Part of me wishes for this more - while it will take longer than just slapping a hard drive in there now, in the long run it will drive the costs for flash down that much faster with Apple's legendary volume.
  • Reply 319 of 410
    drudru Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

You do know Steve Jobs never developed, engineered, or designed anything right? Is he a hypocrite too for saying something isn't up to snuff?

A lot of patents with Stephen P Jobs' name on them say otherwise.

• Reply 320 of 410
    Quote:

I wouldn't discount Mobile.Me. Right now you can add content via the iTunes and App Store applications - it isn't inconceivable that a student could sync the iPad at home to kick it off and then maintain it via the cloud or mobile.me. We just don't know, but I guarantee Apple has plans - they are building that big data center for something

Of course! I can do that now with Mobile Me and video or audio streaming from iDisk. However, your example still has the iPad syncing with a PC which means it's not the device that I described.

As long as you can't sync an iPod or iPhone with the iPad directly it will always be an accessory device.