App Store developer interest nearly triples from Apple iPad hype

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 81
    I think Flurry was the company that reported about those mysterios iPhone OS 3.2 sightings before iPad announcement? Had anyone ever heard them before that? That extra publicity could easily explain the interest towards their services, in stead of iPad!
  • Reply 22 of 81
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post


    We need to be careful here about what data Flurry is giving us.



    The data does NOT say that 3 times as many new apps/projects are being started - only that 3X using Flurry.



    Now this is still a significant thing, and surely there is some correlation among new Flurry apps and new apps in general. However, what if Flurry only represented 5% of all apps and suddenly many more developers decided to use their services. It would be easy to see that while Flurry saw a huge increase, the overall increase would be much different.



    We will know for sure when we reach 200,000 apps. Also when we see just how many iPad apps there are at launch.



    -------

    BTW - anyone taking bets on 1M units sold in first 3 days?



    Good post.



    I think it'll take 3 weeks to sell 1M.
  • Reply 23 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post


    Funny! As soon as it gets out in the 'wild' and everyone is seeing the iPad...they will want one! I think this could be the biggest 'halo' product yet! Bigger than the iPod(s) or iPhone.



    Perfect setup: 27" iMac, iPhone 3Gs, iPad, Time Capsule and AppleTV.



    almost right, except for the time capsule and apple tv. thiose things have much better alternatives out there.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post


    The iBlackBoard?

    Then you can really bump your iPad off it, Avatar style, and get your homework assignments.



    Are you still here?
  • Reply 25 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post


    almost right, except for the time capsule and apple tv. thiose things have much better alternatives out there.



    Who else offers a solution for wireless backups? Because obviously I haven't done my homework.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Good post.



    I think it'll take 3 weeks to sell 1M.



    That seems more likely. I dunno that they're going to have 1M units at launch.



    I want one but still debating getting one at launch or waiting for the next gen. I guess that depends on if I'm actually going to work on apps for sale or just tinker with the platform...in which case the simulator will be fine for now.



    I really wish they had java on the thing...
  • Reply 27 of 81
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    Who else offers a solution for wireless backups? Because obviously I haven't done my homework.



    HP Media Smart running Windows Home Server can back up the Time Machine sparse bundle. I think DaHarder writes their learning center hehe.
    Apple needs a home server. The Time Capsule is okay, but way to limited in space. I envision a device that is pretty much an iPad's HW and OS. I think this would outsell the iPad in its first year. Apple has all the parts already, they just need to create a browser-based UI for it and package it together.
  • Reply 28 of 81
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post


    And later when it starts selling as quoted from Steve Ballmer: "Its a rounding error."



    This article reminded me of another Ballmer quote:

    "developers, developers, developers, developers..."
  • Reply 29 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post


    I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy myself



    Whoa ... I totally never even thought of that!



    edit: I'm sure Nintendo would not allow it though ... what with it being on the Wii download thing.
  • Reply 30 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    HP Media Smart running Windows Home Server can back up the Time Machine sparse bundle. I think DaHarder writes their learning center hehe.
    Apple needs a home server. The Time Capsule is okay, but way to limited in space. I envision a device that is pretty much an iPad's HW and OS. I think this would outsell the iPad in its first year. Apple has all the parts already, they just need to create a browser-based UI for it and package it together.



    Is it a router, too? It offers some nice functionality. But @ $699, it's hardly a bargain. The Time Capsule offers 500 G more space and is $200 cheaper (and probably is 20 times smaller... if space matters to you).



    Nice server though, should compete well with the Mac mini server.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,785member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Good post.



    I think it'll take 3 weeks to sell 1M.



    It be quicker, but also may be 6 weeks or more. It's hard to tell how the sales will go. I'd say it'll eventually take off either way.
  • Reply 32 of 81
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post


    We need to be careful here about what data Flurry is giving us.



    The data does NOT say that 3 times as many new apps/projects are being started - only that 3X using Flurry.



    Now this is still a significant thing, and surely there is some correlation among new Flurry apps and new apps in general. However, what if Flurry only represented 5% of all apps and suddenly many more developers decided to use their services. It would be easy to see that while Flurry saw a huge increase, the overall increase would be much different.



    We will know for sure when we reach 200,000 apps. Also when we see just how many iPad apps there are at launch.



    -------

    BTW - anyone taking bets on 1M units sold in first 3 days?



    People should also keep in mind that this data was for January (Which is January 1st to 31st just in case that wasn't clear enough). The iPad was announced on January 27th. These numbers are in theory based on iPad hype. A lot of people were (rightfully or wrongfully) disappointed. The more telling numbers will be February. I fully expect the iPad to have great developer support, but these numbers will likely drop in February.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garamond View Post


    Are you still here?



    No just my Avatar self.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    Is it a router, too? It offers some nice functionality. But @ $699, it's hardly a bargain. The Time Capsule offers 500 G more space and is $200 cheaper (and probably is 20 times smaller... if space matters to you).



    Nice server though, should compete well with the Mac mini server.



    Let's go back to your comment "Who else offers a solution for wireless backups? Because obviously I haven't done my homework." You didn't append "with an integrated router." That is a nice aspect of the Time Capsule and it serves its purpose well, albeit in a very limited scope, but it does not address the growing need for redundant home backups.



    Plus, the Time Capsule is a single drive. The only way you have redundancy is if your files are all kept on your Macs first and foremost. RAIDed home servers allow you to have a centralized repository for your media for all machines. Most home servers have multiple drives. The one you claim is $699 has 4 bays, though it's odd that you ignore HP's cheapest option for under $400.



    We haven't even got into the benefits of Windows Home Server. Possibly the most thought out version of Windows MS has ever made.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post


    No just my Avatar self.



    If you can find a way to go to Pandora I'll pay for it.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    It be quicker, but also may be 6 weeks or more. It's hard to tell how the sales will go. I'd say it'll eventually take off either way.



    Have you warmed up to it? Are you getting one? Any word of an Apple Store opening near you this year?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post


    People should also keep in mind that this data was for January (Which is January 1st to 31st just in case that wasn't clear enough). The iPad was announced on January 27th. These numbers are in theory based on iPad hype.



    Good point, or even iPhone v4.0 rumour hype.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    Quote:

    I think it'll take 3 weeks to sell 1M.



    I'm with ya Soli at 3 days.... IF there are actually that many to be had at launch.



    Regardless, expect long lines... and somewhere north of a mil. on back/pre-order within days of the official release date.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    Just wanted to add, that I don't think Apple is going to be able to keep up with demand through the entire year. Once school-buying time comes around, it's gonna get seriously crazy!
  • Reply 39 of 81
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post


    I'm with ya Soli at 3 days.... IF there are actually that many to be had at launch.



    Regardless, expect long lines... and somewhere north of a mil. on back/pre-order within days of the official release date.



    Is that a typo or are you with jimmx? There is evidence to suggest this will be extremely popular, at least in some fields and in some countries. I was going by US only sales, but if they sell to multiple countries at once then 3M in 3 days could happen. But isn't their estimate 4M in the first year?
  • Reply 40 of 81
    The way to look at these numbers are as an affirmation for the platform in general; namely, that it keeps evolving and the iPad doesn't represent a disruptive fork in eyes of developers.



    That said, until developers actually get their hands on iPads at end of March, this is just early indicator stuff, as unlike iPhone SDK release, where iPhones and iPod Touches had been on market for several months, in this case (even today), developers at best are just working off simulator, which is a poor proxy for dynamic not only of more screen real estate but the power of true multi-touch when you have room to accommodate more hands and fingers.



    That will open up wholly new types of apps (e.g., imagine kids sculpting virtual clay).
Sign In or Register to comment.