Hulu to make videos available on iPad without flash - rumor

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 189
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Again, getting back to the original claim, I ask, what did Apple add to the development of the mouse?

It added a PC at the other end of the cable
  • Reply 182 of 189
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What exactly do you think setting a standard is?

So you are saying, the one button mouse is an industry standard?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Before Apple used the mouse on the Macintosh no one really used it, today it would be impossible to use a computer without a mouse.

No one used it? Well except for the company that really invented the modern mouse, but as for your second statement as an Apple user you know that statement is far from truth....
  • Reply 183 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

It added a PC at the other end of the cable

No, that existed before the Mac was around
  • Reply 184 of 189
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

No, that existed before the Mac was around

Yep, but Apple was the "one" that actually make some used of the device with is OS and application back in 1985. I remember it was my first year in college, we had a PC XT lab and a Mac lab. There was a debate over "mouse" usefullness, with people saying keyboard only was faster (when you know all the application commands) but mouse fans saying you dont need to know any commands to be productive in a GUI environment.

We had to wait 10 years before PC's came out with a real "mouse" OS (win 95). Apple is the co that took other people ideas (mouse, gui) and package it in a usefull thing. Did they invented the thing? No. Did they contributed to massive acceptance of mouse's? Absolutely!
  • Reply 185 of 189
    Quote:

Yep, but Apple was the "one" that actually make some used of the device with is OS and application back in 1985. I remember it was my first year in college, we had a PC XT lab and a Mac lab. There was a debate over "mouse" usefullness, with people saying keyboard only was faster (when you know all the application commands) but mouse fans saying you dont need to know any commands to be productive in a GUI environment.

No, Xerox sold computers using a mouse before Apple, and technically Apple used a mouse before the Mac as well, didn't the Lisa has a mouse?

Quote:

We had to wait 10 years before PC's came out with a real "mouse" OS (win 95). Apple is the co that took other people ideas (mouse, gui) and package it in a usefull thing. Did they invented the thing? No. Did they contributed to massive acceptance of mouse's? Absolutely!

To be fair, MS-DOS had mouse support, you could use a mouse with Word 5 etc, and "extensions" to DOS such as the early versions of Windows, and DESQview had mouse support. Also OS/2 from 1987 supported a mouse, and the graphical version of OS/2 came out a long time before Windows 95.

Yes they might have contributed to the mouse's acceptance, but that wasn't the question, did they define the mouse, no they didn't, their definition of the mouse is dead.
  • Reply 186 of 189
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

To be fair, MS-DOS had mouse support, you could use a mouse with Word 5 etc, and "extensions" to DOS such as the early versions of Windows, and DESQview had mouse support. Also OS/2 from 1987 supported a mouse, and the graphical version of OS/2 came out a long time before Windows 95.

Yes they might have contributed to the mouse's acceptance, but that wasn't the question, did they define the mouse, no they didn't, their definition of the mouse is dead.

I had a mouse with DOS too with an "Office"-type suite in character mode. DOOM offered mouse control. All versions of Windows used a mouse, starting from 1.0. I once saw a dusty copy of 1.0 with a mouse bundled with it. Windows 3.1 seems to be when most x86 computers included a mouse by default.
  • Reply 187 of 189
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Well .... duh.
  • Reply 188 of 189
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hixie posted on his blog today about some internal changes from Adobe.

More info...

Gruber mentions the Hixie link above and speculates that it may be to thwart Canvas in the HTML5 spec. Canvas is far from being a competitor to Flash, unlike the HTML5 video tag which has already sealed Flash's video streaming fate.
    In public, Adobe claims to ?support? HTML5. On the private W3C mailing list, though, they?ve placed an objection to prevent the current spec from being published. My understanding is that Adobe is trying to block the API spec for the canvas element. The canvas element hasn?t gotten as much attention as the video element, but clearly, 2D graphics in canvas is competitive with Flash, and it appears that Adobe?s plan is to sabotage it via W3C politics.
  • Reply 189 of 189
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    If this rumor proves true, then that will be very good news.