Apple releases Apple TV 3.0.2

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has released a minor update to Apple TV that brings its firmware to version 3.0.2.

The update appears to be related to the release of Aperture 3.0, which made changes to how that software shares images over the local network, in addition to adding support for iPhoto's Places and Faces features.

Users have also reported that since applying the update their Apple TV has stopped experiencing problems related to switching its HDMI output cable. The update also appears to make minor tweaks in the user interface to enhance the readability of text.

The new software can be downloaded and installed from the Update Software option within the Settings/General menu on Apple TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    HOw could have users reported it stopped interference after applying the update that fast?

I need to read more about this at iLounge. This brief article is not well written.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

HOw could have users reported it stopped interference after applying the update that fast?

I need to read more about this at iLounge. This brief article is not well written.

Uh, because they turned on the TV after the update and there was no interference.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleOutsider22 View Post

Uh, because they turned on the TV after the update and there was no interference.

YOu mean testers. It was just released.

Who were they reporting to?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

YOu mean testers. It was just released.

Who were they reporting to?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....32024&tstart=0

Two reports right there.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....32024&tstart=0

Two reports right there.

Right- 2 posters. And the issue in Aperture is not mentioned at all?

Thanks for the link though.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    I don't believe there was any significant "issue" with Aperture, Apple TV simply didn't support some of the new features of Aperture like the Places/Faces.

This topic:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....31900&tstart=0

seems to suggest that sharing an Aperture 3 library to Apple TV worked perfectly well before the update.

The update only just released, and Aperture 3 is also hot off of the production line, I epxect it'll take a bit longer for reports on the features to appear. AI made no claims about widespread reporting of improvement to Aperture sharing. Calm your cynical muscle.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

AI made no claims about widespread reporting of improvement to Aperture sharing. Calm your cynical muscle.

You talking to me?

Seriously AI says it's "related to...."

So what does that mean then?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Probably just that Aperture 3 was relased just a few days ago, so an Apple TV update is most likely meant to address syncing/sharing/new features for that.

There don't need to be any reports for that assumption, but it is still an assumption, hence "appears to be related to"

I'll agree that it's not the most informative or well referenced article, but it may have been an early release with incomplete information that will be fleshed out later.

There's no need to jump down AI's throats about it, they didn't mislead you.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Not much of an update.

But, it is just a hobby. \
  • Reply 10 of 19
    There were delayed responses introduced in 3.0.x when using the iPhone Remote application to control the AppleTV. I believe this has been fixed in 3.0.2. The device is more responsive now the way it used to be.

This update is well worth it.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

There were delayed responses introduced in 3.0.x when using the iPhone Remote application to control the AppleTV. I believe this has been fixed in 3.0.2. The device is more responsive now the way it used to be.

I've noticed this improvement as well.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Great because I stopped using it - I had thought something was wrong with the hard drive (perhaps it had begun to die from overheating).

I really wish the iPhone remote had a way to shut the ATV down (standby) without having to turn on the monitor itself. Wouldn't that make sense?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Not much of an update.

But, it is just a hobby. \

That's funny, because my ATV has become a hobby too. I signed up for Netflix trial this week and have been using it to stream movies in HD (Xbox 360). The chance of me using iTunes anymore to rent movies is pretty much zero at this point. Here's hoping Apple decides to do something more with this device.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    What is this Apple TV they speak of?
  • Reply 15 of 19
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

If this update fixes the problem I'll buy a new 40GB 1st gen AppleTV for $100 on eBay. After 2 years of frustration, a few weeks ago I finally picked up my AppleTV and repeatedly slammed it down onto my entertainment center to kill it. It no longer boots.

I don't know if I would bother - with your anger management issues it will just cost you another $100 someday. Besides you probably only need to replace the hard drive - any laptop hard drive laying around should work. I'm sure with some googling you could find an image of the AppleTV hard drive somewhere, or clone a friends...

I did notice mine is more responsive, but still lags more than I would like. I sill like mine, but I am disappointed Apple hasn't done much more with it.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Speak for yourself. My AppleTV works great...well worth the investment made years ago.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I'm not sure of what to tell you, but, I've never had that problem. All I've noticed was a slow response to remote clicks. My only issues were feature related, and, other than codec support, I have no remaining issues with my AppleTV. I think it's great, and hardly a waste of my money. I use it during parties as well, and have never had a problem.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

When it works I love it. But it will always eventually crap out, and the only way to fix it is to restart iTunes and unplug/replug the AppleTV. What a PITA.

I hope the next version fixes this issue, and upgrades the feature set. Alot has happened these last 2 years: Netflix streaming, Hulu, App Store, etc.

It's been 3 years since the AppleTV was first released. They never upgraded the HDD, just lowered the price and then dropped the 40GB model. It still uses 10/100 Ethernet. It still uses a pretty awful 1GHz Pentium and weak GPU.

Even for a hobby it's still be allowed to linger as-is for way too long. I think a more powerful version of the iPad's HW (because it can be plugged in) would be a good fit for the next AppleTV. Combine that with a more efficient version of OS X. Meaning, the AppleTV OS is very similar to Mac OS X Tiger with new UI, but running a variation of iPhone OS may allow for a very fast UI. Then there is all the DVRs and consoles that have been experimenting with streaming and social media that Apple could tap into in a much better way than they are able to.

PS: I had to return my 3x. But the 4th one still works great.