Stupid question regarding video cards in the MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I may have sold a PC user on buying a mac and she's interested in the MBP. I noticed that some models of the MPB have a "NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB" while others have the "NVIDIA GeForce 9400M."

Are either of these integrated graphics?

And what is the advantage of the models with "NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB?" That sounds to me like it has two video boards. Why would Apple do this?

And is there a big difference in video processing power between the models with one video board and two?

Thanks in advance to all who answer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Yes, two video cards. They did that for battery performance. While plugged in the MBPro uses the 9600 and while on battery power it uses the less power hungry 9400.

Depends on what she's using it for. If she's your standard inet, email, and Facebook person then the 9400 will be just fine
  • Reply 2 of 2
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Yes, two video cards. They did that for battery performance. While plugged in the MBPro uses the 9600 and while on battery power it uses the less power hungry 9400.

Depends on what she's using it for. If she's your standard inet, email, and Facebook person then the 9400 will be just fine

Thanks.

Hopefully, she'll switch tomorrow...