iPhone 4 (G)

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
So, 2010 is on the horizon, what are your thoughts on the next iPhone? Will the hardware change? Or only iPhone OS? Or maybe nothing at all?

Just for fun, I did a quick mock-up of the iPhone continuing Apple's current design language. Or something .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    I like it! As large of a screen as possible in the current 4.4 x 2.5 form factor as they can get. I think they could increase the screen size to 3.8 inches and still be ok. The glass all the way to the edges look is nice too. It's the iMac look. It's probably not doable as an abused mass production though.

You forgot the specs!

3.8" 960x640 screen

Dual-core 800 MHz Cortex A8 CPU

Dual PowerVR SGX GPUs

512 MByte of DRAM

64 GB of Storage

Just keep piling on those dream specs.

It will be interesting to see what Apple does.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    the specs, hm... Let's see.

Screen size - it's probably difficult, as the success of AppStore and the famous grid is going to prevent iPhone's screen getting any bigger. We might just get more glass around the screen. I would be glad to be wrong though.

Processor - the faster the better, since it's a "gaming platform" now. Same for RAM.

Double the storage.

Camera - bring on a proper cam to replace the current embarrassment. And video to boot.

An improved/completely-new-technology-omg-it-can't-be battery, that could also allow for the multitasking, finally.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eat me View Post

Screen size - it's probably difficult, as the success of AppStore and the famous grid is going to prevent iPhone's screen getting any bigger. We might just get more glass around the screen. I would be glad to be wrong though.

They are limited to the biggest screen they can fit in the current 4.4x2.5 inch platform area they have right now for iPhones and iPods. That'll be about 3.7 to 3.8 inch diag at 3:2 aspect ratio. They could go to 4 inches maybe if they can make the screen edge to edge without a bezel. An edge to edge screen is likely not doable for a mobile device prone to abuse. So, 3.7 or maybe 3.8 inch is largest they can go. Still it'll be a 10 to 15% increase in area which would be great. Any larger than 2.5 inches wide will be uncomfortable to hold for a lot of people on the small hand end of the scale.

For resolution, I think 960x480 resolution would be great. All apps would be forward compatible through pixel quadrupling. It'll be sweet, assuming such a DPI screen is possible and affordable.

Quote:

Processor - the faster the better, since it's a "gaming platform" now. Same for RAM.

I'm anxiously awaiting on what the PA Semi team is going to come up with. An asynchronously slewable dual core 800 MHz ARM and PowerVR SGX543MP4 or MP8 would be great! Slewable as well. Yes I'm dreaming. It'll probably an upclocked version of the exisiting SoC.

Quote:

Double the storage.

Hell, quadruple the current storage. My 32 GB feels constraining.

Quote:

Camera - bring on a proper cam to replace the current embarrassment. And video to boot.

Bah. I merely hope for pixel density on the order of 15 MP/cm^2 or less and a low equivalent F stop, something like 2.0. If they achieve that with a 2 MP cam, then it'll be fantastic.

Quote:

An improved/completely-new-technology-omg-it-can't-be battery, that could also allow for the multitasking, finally.

Now I now you are dreaming.

I think 512 MB of DRAM combined with a very energy efficient SoC will do the trick. The battery will be a long time coming.

I've get another million things I would like to see too. List them later.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    To be perfectly honest I am so happy with my 3GS the only real inprovment I would want would be maybe on the camera for stills. Even then is serves me well. Video is great too. I know the new thing for phones with video is 720p or whatever but that is overkill for me.

Have fun shooting HD video with a phone that goes dead in an hour lol

I guess I would maybe like 1 or 2 more gestures. Something to wow us, not that I am getting bored of it but you know what I mean.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:

So, 2010 is on the horizon, what are your thoughts on the next iPhone? Will the hardware change? Or only iPhone OS? Or maybe nothing at all?

Just for fun, I did a quick mock-up of the iPhone continuing Apple's current design language. Or something .

Love the design.

The glass extending all the way to the edge makes it look even better... never was a huge fan of the chrome border. Really nice design, you should send that to Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Maybe I'm missing something, but this is the only iPhone 4G thread I could find on here. I am surprised the topic is not more popular. I suspect iPad fever has gone full-tilt.

I predict the new iPhone will have a slightly larger screen (based on some "leaked" photos sailing about on the internet), a front-facing camera (wishful thinking, but I think it will finally bring us to the age of Captain Kirk and Communicators), and an ARM processor with OS 4.0 that permits multitasking. And a super long battery life because of the ARM.

Any takers?

Any dates?
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

To be perfectly honest I am so happy with my 3GS the only real inprovment I would want would be maybe on the camera for stills. Even then is serves me well. Video is great too. I know the new thing for phones with video is 720p or whatever but that is overkill for me.

Have fun shooting HD video with a phone that goes dead in an hour lol

I guess I would maybe like 1 or 2 more gestures. Something to wow us, not that I am getting bored of it but you know what I mean.

The 3GS is actually already capable of shooting 720p video - at least according to one of those sites that does hardware dissections.

Battery life is probably a reason why it isn't unlocked, just like how the processor is underclocked.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

Maybe I'm missing something, but this is the only iPhone 4G thread I could find on here. I am surprised the topic is not more popular. I suspect iPad fever has gone full-tilt.

I predict the new iPhone will have a slightly larger screen (based on some "leaked" photos sailing about on the internet), a front-facing camera (wishful thinking, but I think it will finally bring us to the age of Captain Kirk and Communicators), and an ARM processor with OS 4.0 that permits multitasking. And a super long battery life because of the ARM.

Any takers?

Any dates?

Larger screen? does that mean it'll have a larger form factor or they'll somehow manage to make it larger without making the iPhone larger?

Basically something like this:

But with more realistic thinness. This rendering is too thin.

An increase in battery life would be welcomed. Hopefully +25%.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    the full metal back of the render would have to go, too. I don't think Apple would want to go the route of the 1G iPhone or the iPod touch with part of the back carved out with black plastic for the airwave dependent internals.

I would like more rigid matte or soft touch plastic for the back, to help grippability.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It will have twenty-seven thousand giggle hurts of Flash™ based mull tie tasking badness, everything in the universe will be tasking away in an orgy of multiplicity, right there in the palm of your hand thanks to the quantum processor and miniature sun which will power it for a thousand years and double up as a flash for the twenty petapixel camera, it will be later withdrawn from sale as the camera flash causes multiple cases of blindness and is used to bring jets out of the sky, such will be the intensity of a two hundred billion candle powered light source coming from a two millimetre source.

Or maybe not.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    This is my mock-up based on the next-generation iPhone pictured in the leaked Engaget iPad image. It retains the screensize, and general format - but includes a forward-facing camera and the matte black bezel.

I hope the next-gen iPhone does not look like this, because it's pretty dull looking.

C.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    A4 --- i.e. Cortex A9 at 1GHz --- is positively possible. It seems excelling in energy consumption...

A bit chunky, though... *yawn*
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Hi Friends,

Great product man.

It is the best product from iphone.

Does it supports to Connecting Iphone to a portable stereo through usb?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gaganbal View Post

The iPhone 3.1 will face a stiff competition from the likes of Palm and especially Android based phones like the Motorola Droid and the barrage of HTC handsets.

Haha, iPhone 4(g) will eat Palm, Motorola, HTC for breakfast!!!
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

[/B]

An increase in battery life would be welcomed. Hopefully +25%.

Juice Pack Air? I bought one a month ago. Love it. It does add quite the thickness, but it's only used on work days when I know battery life is crucial. It adds approx. 60% more life.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Juice Pack Air? I bought one a month ago. Love it. It does add quite the thickness, but it's only used on work days when I know battery life is crucial. It adds approx. 60% more life.

I have it, but would rather not. It makes my iPhone super thick and uncomfortable to use.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    2010 = OLED iPhone. Faster would be nice too, so we may see a better proc. etc.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

Nice design. I would love a larger screen!
  • Reply 19 of 24
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realmike15 View Post

The glass extending all the way to the edge makes it look even better... never was a huge fan of the chrome border. Really nice design, you should send that to Apple.

I'm in the opposite camp... hoping that the screen doesn't extend all the way to the edge. It is already hard enough to hold the iphone with the proper balance between not inadvertently touching the screen and not dropping it.

As for sending it to Apple, don't you think they already thought of that? It would be like sending BMW a suggestion saying that it is possible to make red car.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The problem with a larger screen is the phone won't fit in a jeans pocket. Most the complaints I hear, partially from younger people is the phone is too big--especially with a case. The sort of design done above would make the device a little narrower, which would be great. That and even a little thinner would be welcomed. Don't expect a bigger screen, I don't think it'll happen.

I've had all three iPhones in my hand and the 2G version still feels the best to hold, particularly because it's narrower--with its smaller side-bezels. Narrower is the biggest thing they need to think about (physically) for the next iPhone, with practically zero side-bezel at all. Just like this mockup in fact. I do believe this mockup takes the zero bezels too far though, from a practical point of view. It has to have a "tiny" side bezel space to keep the thumb from accidentally touching the display.