MWC: Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 Series

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
(Mobile World Congress) Just four months after Windows Mobile 6.5 hit the market, Microsoft has officially introduced Windows Phone 7 Series, the new multitouch-capable mobile operating system the software giant hopes will take on Apple's iPhone.

Windows Phone 7 Series includes "integrated services" that Microsoft has dubbed "Hubs." These are divided into six categories that aim to make it easy for users to gather information: People, Pictures, Games, Music + Video, Marketplace, and Office. The first handsets are expected to arrive in holiday 2010.

All versions of the hardware will have three buttons on the face: Start, search and back. The dedicated Bing button will allow one-click access to search from anywhere within the phone. Integration with Bing search allows the system to automatically locate the user and allows them to conduct a local search.

Much like on the iPhone, Windows Phone 7 Series supports pinch to zoom in its maps application. The new mobile operating system also includes integration with Xbox Live and uses the Zune interface and branding for its media player.

"In a crowded market filled with phones that look the same and do the same things, I challenged the team to deliver a different kind of mobile experience," Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer said. "Windows Phone 7 Series marks a turning point toward phones that truly reflect the speed of people?s lives and their need to connect to other people and all kinds of seamless experiences."

The new software's "Start" screen includes constantly updated "live tiles" that show users real-time content. Microsoft has touted these as "breaking the mold of static icons that serve as an intermediate step on the way to an application."

For example, creating a tile for a contact would allow live updates on the person, such as newly uploaded Facebook photos or status updates. The information could be gleaned from the Start page without ever loading an application.

The six hubs in Windows Phone 7 Series were selected because they represent the activities and information that are most important to people, Microsoft said. The following is a breakdown of the hubs included in the new software:

People: Ties in live feeds from social networks and photos to contacts. Includes a central place to post updates to Facebook and Windows Live.

Pictures: Allows users to share photos and videos with a social network. Also integrates with the Web and PC, allowing users to view their entire picture and video collection.

Games: Connects with Xbox Live and plays games. Allows users to see a gamer's Xbox Live avatar, achievements and gamer profile.

Music + Video: Brings "the best of Zune," Microsoft said, to the mobile phone. Includes online music services, syncing with content from a PC, and a built-in FM radio. Also connects with Zune Social for sharing music.

Marketplace: Microsoft's own app store gives access to certified applications and games.

Office: Offers access to Microsoft Office, oneNote and SharePoint Workspace. Users can read, edit and share documents. Also offers access to Outlook Mobile.

Microsoft has partnered with a number of carriers and manufacturers around the world to bring the first Windows Phone 7 Series handsets to market later this year. Mobile operators include AT&T, Deutsche Telekom AG, Orange, SFR, Sprint, Telecom Italia, Telefónica, Telstra, T-Mobile USA, Verizon Wireless and Vodafone. Manufacturers include Dell, Garmin-Asus, HTC Corp., HP, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Toshiba and Qualcomm Inc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 450
    Me to! Me to! Me to!
  • Reply 2 of 450
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Windows? Is any other comment necessary?
  • Reply 3 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Me to! Me to! Me to!

Unlimited entertainment. But too often it is like fish in a barrel around here.
  • Reply 4 of 450
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Bring it on, Microsoft.

Love the new interface and the Zune-esque features. They way the six hubs look and integrate with the phone along with the dynamic tiles makes the chiclet home screen on my 3GS seem quite dated.

Windows Mobile 6/6.5 and the other ilk are absolute JOKES, but this is looking awesome.

Shame about the naming though. Windows Phone 7 Series? Give me a flippin' break Microsoft.
  • Reply 5 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Me to! Me to! Me to!

Huh? How is it me to? This is obviously an extension of the Zune OS which has been around for quite some time. The images CLEARLY show that, and the Zune software is quite unique IMHO.

What exactly is "Me to" about this or is that just a normal reflex when you hear the word Microsoft?
  • Reply 6 of 450
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Yep. Exactly what I wanted.. Bing search button on my phone
  • Reply 7 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    herp derp Apple zealots will blast new WinMo 7 without even trying it...just like Windows 7 lol.

Looks amazing, cannot wait to get my hands on one, could be spelling the end of my BlackBerry.
  • Reply 8 of 450
    Can't wait to try this out. Looks like a vastly improved product.
  • Reply 9 of 450
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Gotta hand it to Microsoft, after 7 tries at something they seem to come up with something that almost catches up to the status quo that the rest of us have been enjoying for awhile...
  • Reply 10 of 450
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Gotta hand it to Microsoft, after 7 tries at something they seem to come up with something that almost catches up to the status quo that the rest of us have been enjoying for awhile...

... of course, it's not scheduled to be released until October. That'll be a major iPhoneOS version of software, a new iPhone hardware platform, and probably a couple of Android and WebOS releases from now.
  • Reply 11 of 450
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Looks interesting, wonder if it has wireless outlook sync for calendars - just trying to find alternatives so I don't have to give my iPhone 3G to the missus in the summer when I get a new one...

I'm not too sure about the "doesn't quite fit" ratio of a lot of the stuff shown, but visually it has a very unique style. I think they are making a mistake tagging it "Win 7" when I imagine it shares precisely zero code base with Win 7, and using the Zune look and feel without giving it a namecheck seems to be burying the brand somewhat. Windows 7 Z-Series even would help to tie the brans together better.

I'll play with one when they are in stores.
  • Reply 12 of 450
    I just love how those buttons don't appear entirely on the screen. And some of the word titles too. I mean, are these guys trying to fuck our brains on purpose or what? They try to be "trendy" and "vry kewl" but it's just BAD design, period. Keep it fucking simple, for fuck's sake. I mean, how do those buttons work? Are they "clicable", or do we have to pan the screen to be able to do it? And will it pan entirely (will the pan leave the buttons cut on the left side of the screen?), sure probably not, but that's not clear now is it? This is just stupid.

Nevertheless, with all the design caveats (which put me off, frankly) I'm somewhat interested in the rest of the UI concept, at least sounds "original". Let's see the videos.
  • Reply 13 of 450
    I love my iPhone to bits. Gotta say though, having a live home screen is a neat idea. If I could press my home button (without unlocking) and get an update of not only time and battery status, as present, but my local weather, unanswered mail count, forthcoming appointments (or WHY) that would be really handy. Get to it Apple!
  • Reply 14 of 450
    First Nokia&Intel, and then this. Most of all, Apple finally should have some competition to drive new innovation.
  • Reply 15 of 450
    Quote:

... of course, it's not scheduled to be released until October. That'll be a major iPhoneOS version of software, a new iPhone hardware platform, and probably a couple of Android and WebOS releases from now.

While true that iPhone OS 4.0 will out this summer, how would it be possible to make it dramatically different without also changing the dynamic of the iPad as well (as far as the UI goes).

I mean, I don't envision seeing anything as advanced as the new MS OS's interface this year. I mean, we have static (for the most part) buttons on our iPhone littered through pages and pages. Microsoft is using large tiles with dynamic pictures, message, Facebook status update, weather information, etc, within easy reach.

The move, visual wise, from the iPhone OS to the new Windows Phone 7 Series looks about as amazing as everything leading up to the iPhone and the actual announcement of the iPhone.

That being said, I'm giving MS the benefit of the doubt here. Most people just blindly bash MS, so my words are likely lost in the mix anyway
  • Reply 16 of 450
    If Microsoft was thinking more clearly, they should position the Windows mobile platform as an extension to the XBox 360. Make their phone more of a gamers phone. Apple wouldn't even be able to compete with that and Microsoft would benefit greatly from that since their user base is already familiar with XBox.

Microsoft needs to Think Different, and lose the notion of direct competition with Apple.

Theirs so much they can do with Win mob but they cripple it, with their LETS COPY APPLE mantra
  • Reply 17 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Huh? How is it me to?

Its Knot. Its "Mee Two! Mee Two1 Mee Two!"
  • Reply 18 of 450
    Quote:

Hahah! Just like Windows!
  • Reply 19 of 450
    Balmer just do not get it. Think of it. Would you use the phone that constantly refreshes something? Will you be able to work or rest?

In my opinion ? useless and wrong attempt to get something different.
  • Reply 20 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Theirs so much they can do with Win mob but they cripple it, with their LETS COPY APPLE mantra

Theirs sew much they can due, butt their stoopid.