MWC: Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 Series

Comments

• Reply 21 of 450
    Awesome!

Now they're only a year behind.
  • Reply 22 of 450
    Dont forget (and I talk as someone who works for a Microsoft Premier Partner) that although the interface on series 7 look cool and zune like, the code base is very much unchanged. Expect this os to have the same issues that have plagued windows mobile for the last 6 itterations!
  • Reply 23 of 450
    It's still Windows.

Why use the interface of an unsuccessful product (Zune)?
  • Reply 24 of 450
    As an iPhone developer, I am always looking for a new platform.

This new approach is interesting but I don't see where my apps would fit within their 'tiles' approach? What if I have an app that does not fit this mold?

I get it for an integrated solution but I don't get it from an 'App Store' friendly approach.
  • Reply 24 of 450
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Windows? Is any other comment necessary?

Quote:

Unlimited entertainment. But too often it is like fish in a barrel around here.

Quote:

Its Knot. Its "Mee Two! Mee Two1 Mee Two!"

Quote:

Hahah! Just like Windows!

Quote:

Theirs sew much they can due, butt their stoopid.

Your mom must be proud.
  • Reply 26 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkbaron View Post

Dont forget (and I talk as someone who works for a Microsoft Premier Partner) that although the interface on series 7 look cool and zune like, the code base is very much unchanged. Expect this os to have the same issues that have plagued windows mobile for the last 6 itterations!

I don't think you read anything announced today. Windows Phone 7 has no code shared with Windows Mobile 6 and behind. It's a completely new OS.
  • Reply 27 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I don't think you read anything announced today. Windows Phone 7 has no code shared with Windows Mobile 6 and behind. It's a completely new OS.

Dont belive it for a second
  • Reply 28 of 450
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's still Windows.

Why use the interface of an unsuccessful product (Zune)?

Right. Anything used on Zune is bad. There is no sense in taking any element from it, no matter what. Right?
  • Reply 29 of 450
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Well, it certainly looks very pretty.

Having said that, a UI that works on a simple media player may not be best suited to a more powerful smartphone.

The UI just wastes so much space in an effort to be pretty. It's vital to make efficient use of the limited space on a mobile screen. Not waste it with hug titles.

While I'd give it an A- on prettiness (would be higher, but I think the tiles look a mess); I'll give it a C for useability. I suppose I'll only know for sure once I get my habnds on one at the end of the year.
  • Reply 30 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:

Im sure you do, seeing as how this has zero compatibility with old code.
  • Reply 31 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Im sure you do, seeing as how this has zero compatibility with old code.

And you have seen the code have you?
  • Reply 32 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Awesome!

Now they're only a year behind.

Where does that leave Apple missing features like Multi-Tasking...

inb4 apple crybabies try to use mail as an example.
  • Reply 33 of 450
    Quote:

And you have seen the code have you?

No, but i 100% guarantee you havent because you would not be posting on here.
  • Reply 34 of 450
    First off, I can't stand Microsoft and their demise can't come quickly enough for me.

Unfortunately though, I really like this.

I don't understand why Apple has resisted grouping activities on the iPhone user interface. I'm sick of searching through pages and pages for apps (and Spotlight searching is slow and cumbersome).

I hope that the 4.0 upgrade really is an A+ effort and completely overhauls what's now looking like a tired interface, one that was a fantastic (mindblowing) first effort, but needs to adapt to the changing role of the device.

MS has had the advantage of starting from scratch and addressing issues that probably were not on the Apple radar 4 years ago (countless apps for one). Apple needs to, and I'm sure will, do the same.
  • Reply 35 of 450
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I'm pleasantly surprised. It's a refreshing change of direction if nothing else. For too long Microsoft has based its smartphone strategy around enterprise. It's little wonder that their marketshare has dwindled.

Of course, it's hard to judge a mobile OS by a handful of screenshots and videos. I can't wait to try it for real.

The other question is - now that Windows Phone 7 Series has been revealed, how many people will be willing to buy a Windows Mobile 6.5.x phone? There's no guarantee that Windows Phone 7 Series will ever be available for older phones.
  • Reply 36 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

No, but i 100% guarantee you havent because you would not be posting on here.

Im in the process of writing a developer training course on the Windows Phone 7 Series SDK so dont talk about what you dont know.
  • Reply 37 of 450
    Anything that pushes products and gives consumers more, is a win for the end user. The live content is an interesting idea. Microsoft already has a huge user base when it comes to the xbox. these users aren't just 10 year olds. Many people into their 20's and 30's play this. It is a great way to present a product that many people would gravitate to because of their current product and service usage. It looks promising. Hopefully this continues to push Apple and provide products to the end user that we would want.
  • Reply 38 of 450
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    It looks like an over-glorified webpage.
  • Reply 39 of 450
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    My God, besides apple NO ONE can do anything good, right, etc.

What a bunch of fanatism, hate and blind in this forum.

"Com diuen a Catalunya, d'on no hi ha no hi pot rajar"
  • Reply 40 of 450
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpmuk View Post

First off, I can't stand Microsoft and their demise can't come quickly enough for me.

Unfortunately though, I really like this.

I don't understand why Apple has resisted grouping activities on the iPhone user interface. I'm sick of searching through pages and pages for apps (and Spotlight searching is slow and cumbersome).

I hope that the 4.0 upgrade really is an A+ effort and completely overhauls what's now looking like a tired interface, one that was a fantastic (mindblowing) first effort, but needs to adapt to the changing role of the device.

MS has had the advantage of starting from scratch and addressing issues that probably were not on the Apple radar 4 years ago (countless apps for one). Apple needs to, and I'm sure will, do the same.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I'm pleasantly surprised. It's a refreshing change of direction if nothing else. For too long Microsoft has based its smartphone strategy around enterprise. It's little wonder that their marketshare has dwindled.

Of course, it's hard to judge a mobile OS by a handful of screenshots and videos. I can't wait to try it for real.

The other question is - now that Windows Phone 7 Series has been revealed, how many people will be willing to buy a Windows Mobile 6.5.x phone? There's no guarantee that Windows Phone 7 Series will ever be available for older phones.

Although I disagree about wanting to see Microsoft's demise, I agree for the most part with these two posts. It's nice to see a refreshing take on the smartphone UI instead of seeing "How many application icons can I fit on the page" mentality that we're seeing today.

In addition, I find the OS very "pretty" -- something that we've all long said about Apple's hardware.