MWC: Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 Series

Comments

• Reply 61 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

If you had seen the live press conference, you would have seen that the UI is highly customizable. If you don't want a tile on the home screen, you can easily remove and it replace it with something that you prefer. Also, the existing tiles can all be edited/customized to your liking.

Come on now, he works as a Premiere Partner making training stuff for the new WinMo7 SDK, he of all people knows.

/sarcasm off
  • Reply 62 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Multitasking is far from a sprinkle. You talk about MS being a year behind, not having multitasking is about five years behind.

You people talk about multi tasking like its the fruit of the gods!

I bet you also want - 48 mega pixel cameras front and rear, 1080p video projection, high def recording. built in 128gig solid state drive and 365 days of talk time, all for 99$. Get real.

I have been developing software (.NET) for over 12 years and multi tasking is not the answer to your problems. The iphone has multi tasking but it doesnt allow you to run multiple 3rd party apps. that is not the same thing.
  • Reply 63 of 450
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I would reframe that and call it a huge win for consumers and mobile phone development. The iPhone forced MS and Palm to throw out their old clunky platforms. Go back and refresh everything. Ultimately this will be great for consumers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think people are missing the major upside to this announcement for Apple fans (and perhaps the significance of the complete re-deisgn of the OS).

Windows Mobile is dead. Lanced through the heart on the field of battle by Apple's iPhone. Whatever "7 Series" turns out to be, it's certainly not Windows Mobile.

Microsoft just admitted that their flagship product in mobile devices that they've been refining for over a decade, is a failed attempt and have thrown the entire thing out.

That's a huge win for Apple and iPhone.

• Reply 64 of 450
    No it hasn't. Android sales and influence haven't reached anywhere near the level of Windows Mobile.

Quote:

Even if this is true it really isn't a hugh win for Apple seeing Google has simple taken over Microsofts place.

• Reply 65 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Come on now, he works as a Premiere Partner making training stuff for the new WinMo7 SDK, he of all people knows.

/sarcasm off

you really are a TWAT arent you. I know you can customize the UI, my point is, the design makes certain assumptions about the way you use it. What if you dont use these services, then its just a phone right? If you dont use xbox live, facebook etc then your start page is prety emtpy.
  • Reply 66 of 450
    Five years behind what? What exactly does multitasking do that makes it as great as you make it sound?

Quote:

Multitasking is far from a sprinkle. You talk about MS being a year behind, not having multitasking is about five years behind.

• Reply 67 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

Looks like WinMo 7 phones will be the portable xbox that everyone wanted.

This may turn to be interesting... for the few million people who have xboxes. I wonder what kinds of things this can do. Will it also be capable of being some kind of a controller for the xbox? That would be awesome.

Quote:

And Apple is like 10 years behind. Hope they bring multitasking this summer.

While I hope so too, I don«t think they are "behind", having seen the implementation of "multitasking" by all the other competitors, i.e., irrelevant multitasking (except the PRE, which has a cool multitasking).

Quote:

man...they will get multitasking this year...and claim Apple invented it with a "think different" approch to it while everyone has been doing it since at least 10 years ago before the Cupertino "Me, too" company.

Yeah.... TEN years.... and apple fanboys are the kool-aid-drinkers... this is just plain delusion.
  • Reply 68 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Unless, of course, Apple adopts Bing as it's default search engine and then you will argue why it's better than Google.

• Reply 69 of 450
    Amazing how a company can introduce a mobile phone and not talk about how the phone works. I looked at all the screenshots and haven't seen how to make a call.

As far as the UI goes, why are the fonts cutoff at the sides, top and bottom? Guess I should wait to see real, live demoes(spelling? I'm Dutch).

Multi-touch and pinch to zoom...I thought Apple had some specific patents on this. What do you guys think? Will Apple sue M$ if there is a violation?

As others have stated, it does look a lot like the Zune interface. Haven't bothered to see that product in person. Maybe it's not available here in The Netherlands. But yes, I like Apple products anyway. And having to use M$ software at work I don't bother to check out what they have besides Windoze and Office.

When is 'the holiday season'? Someone wrote October. If that's the case, Apple will most likely have new things out already, and M$ couldn't possible add additions things after Apple's announcement/release in July(?)

And why only show one single hardware model? They're saying it is a Windows Phone 7 _Series_ so I would expect them to show more models.

I do think they did the right thing by only showing how it's used and not run down a list of hardware specs. Seems to me that's a first for M$. Not a first to copy someone else's showman case though.

I will have a great time reading the hundreds of posts later today.

Phil
  • Reply 70 of 450
    I don't think multitasking is all that important. I do agree people are being overly biased. MS has done something interesting and they should be given credit. The people here who are just dumping on it simply because its MS are being fanboys.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Precisely.

You cant debate logically with Apple Fans. There is always some exception that allows Apple to get away with BS moves but they are quick to rain down on anyone else (extreme fanboyism at its worst) missing something.

• Reply 71 of 450
    The cut off fonts are apart of the Zune UI aestetic.

Apple does not have a patent on multitouch, they can only patent their specific multitouch technology.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

As far as the UI goes, why are the fonts cutoff at the sides, top and bottom? Guess I should wait to see real, live demoes(spelling? I'm Dutch).

Multi-touch and pinch to zoom...I thought Apple had some specific patents on this. What do you guys think? Will Apple sue M$ if there is a violation?

• Reply 72 of 450
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That's the way it works. Apple has the total package - the ideal combination of hardware + software. The absence of any single feature cannot compromise the whole.

So you would agree the Microsoft comes closet out of Apple's rivals to competing with this ecosystem? Microsoft has a music store, a large developer community, internet services, a large gaming community and now a seemingly competent mobile OS. All the pieces appear to be there so question will be whether Microsoft can integrate them all together.
  • Reply 73 of 450
    I'll reserve final judgement until I get a chance to use it hands on. Initial judgement? It's another competitor to all platforms and I am sure all platforms will look at it and rob some of the ideas. They all do it.
  • Reply 74 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkbaron View Post

you really are a TWAT arent you. I know you can customize the UI, my point is, the design makes certain assumptions about the way you use it. What if you dont use these services, then its just a phone right? If you dont use xbox live, facebook etc then your start page is prety emtpy.

You mad cause i called you on your BS dog? You work on this dont you, so you of ALL PEOPLE should know.

No, it expands and integrate based off services you use. Xbox Integration is what millions have been pining for, but most likely stays collapsed until your info is added (similar to how the Zune HD is). 350 million use Facebook but in the off chance you dont, it most likely wouldnt show up on the home screen.
  • Reply 75 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djg View Post

But more importantly it does not seem suited to the concept of Apps at all - where would I find my BA flights app, or Yelp, or Amazon Kindle? Where would Spotify or Rhapsody live? I don't feel like going out of my way to design a non-game app if it has no home on WinMo7.

There would be a simple tile with the app's icon. And you can move it around on the Start screen. Maybe the developers will be allowed to post notifications on that tile.

And your app would run in full screen. I don't see any problem here?!
  • Reply 76 of 450
    TBH I'm not getting the whole interface and I think it looks rather confusing, but then again that might be because i'm hung over.
  • Reply 77 of 450
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

The iPhone interface is so much simpler: there's a button for each thing you can do.

Indeed, there are 11 x 16 buttons, with no way to consolidate similar buttons into nested groups.

The iInterface sucks. It is not scaleable.
  • Reply 78 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toddd240 View Post

Anything that pushes products and gives consumers more, is a win for the end user. The live content is an interesting idea. Microsoft already has a huge user base when it comes to the xbox. these users aren't just 10 year olds. Many people into their 20's and 30's play this. It is a great way to present a product that many people would gravitate to because of their current product and service usage. It looks promising. Hopefully this continues to push Apple and provide products to the end user that we would want.

I don't really understand what the benefit of this integration is. I have an xBox live account, but frankly I don't see why being able to see my avatar and achievements is particularly useful or even interesting. Sure they will integrate it with games on the phone, but then what, you will have achievements for phone games?

Maybe the problem is I never understood the interest in achievements.

If they provide added features to Live gold members it might be more interesting, but what are you going to add that the phone wouldn't be able to do already? Maybe you wont be able to play multiplayer games on the phone unless you have Live gold, just like on Xbox. That would suck.
  • Reply 79 of 450
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

That's a huge win for Apple and iPhone.

Go Team Go!

Do you think that Apple can take third place with this win?
  • Reply 80 of 450
    Might have to give it a try. I'm so pissed at Apple for telling me "if you want to be with me, you WILL use AT&T" At least this bloody thing works on Verizon so I might be able to complete a phone call for the first time in nearly two years. Thats kinda important to some of us Mr. Apple.