MWC: Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 Series

Comments

• Reply 101 of 450
    This is most likely not a product that immediately compete with the iPhone.

Instead, I'm of the opinion that it would more or less steal the Android/BB's thunder.

The iPhone has significant competitive advantages including a strong, growing market share, and a strong brand follower-ship.

They continue to offer a unique product that competitors have not managed to truly imitate.

That being said, the rest of the smartphone market is not competing with the iPhone, they are competing among themselves.

It was predicted correctly that the Android will eat into WinMo's market share.

The same should apply to this recent development.

In other words,

People who want an iPhone will buy an iPhone, they will not even consider alternatives.

People who want a smartphone, on the other hand, may consider this new offering.

Give or take, that's my take on what will happen on the short-term.

Also:

stfu trollers/fanbois/pundits, kthxbye
  • Reply 102 of 450
    The UI definitely looks different than WinMo but I have no idea what's underneath the UI. There is no mention of the architecture what so ever...

OK. I have seen the demo of email, web browser and Bing. It's not bad but not particularly impressive.

The Windows Phone UI looks different but inconsistent and confusing to me.

Based on what I saw and read, I think Microsoft can compete as an also ran. They may be able to leverage their Windows dominance in businesses but they'll have to compete with RIMM.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 103 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Multitasking is far from a sprinkle. You talk about MS being a year behind, not having multitasking is about five years behind.

So, given that WinMo 7 doesn't have multitasking either, by your estimate MS is 6 years behind

Quote:

[From MacNN report]Microsoft in its keynote speech confirmed that it won't have Flash out of the box and has designed an interface that doesn't currently have any multitasking support.

• Reply 104 of 450
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    WP 7 still doesn't work on a Mac.

So far my chief complaint is that it uses Internet Explorer. The mobile web is being built on HTML5 and MS has shown little interest in supporting standards. MS cannot be successful with that attitude on mobile devices. Their phones won't be able to support web pages that other phones will be able to.

I'm surprised there is no complaint about the fact WP 7 does not support Flash, I'm betting it will support Silverlight.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I agree 100% Microsoft definitely has a compelling platform now, and MS is pulling from its Zune Services and Xbox 360 and Windows 7 to tie everything together.

• Reply 105 of 450
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Even though I like the Windows Mobile effort at first sight, this is still just a part of a mobile phone experience. Until M$ also designs and manufactures their own phone (hardware) they still have to deal with many different hardware makers.

In other words, different CPU's, different GPU's, different screen sizes, different speeds, etc, etc. Interesting for app-developers too.

We all know how this worked out for them on the desktop.
  • Reply 106 of 450
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Since when did Apple need any? They are self-motivated to innovate, simple as that.

They added cut and paste before anybody else!
  • Reply 107 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxmann View Post

this all looks fine - but the delivery date of Fall is just atrocious? It is meaningless in consumer electronics to present something for 9 months from now.. MEANINGLESS except to try to hold on to something that might be called pride or a customer who is planning WAY AHEAD..

It is to get developers on the boat. Thats why they didn't show it at CES. And they announced that they will have tons of sessions for devs on the MIX conference next month.
  • Reply 108 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eyce9000 View Post

I wonder what hardware manufacturers will try to do to differentiate themselves now. I guess since MS says they are going to be picky that there really won't be much differentiation other than base specs. That sounds like the same place that PC manufacturers have been in for the last 20 years. I don't know how much phone manufacturers are going to like that, but then again they may not have a choice if consumers like it.

Im sure they wont like it, but companies like HTC probably wont care as long as they move hardware.

Unlike Windows where they have different variations on the software (starter,home, pro, ultimate) so it can be spread out, Microsoft is essentially making one build, and its minimum specs are needed to make the software function correctly.

With WinMo7 staying in the smartphone race, it will be interesting to see what they do with Project Pink (apparently they are just feature phones)
  • Reply 109 of 450
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Even though I like the Windows Mobile effort at first sight, this is still just a part of a mobile phone experience. Until M$ also designs and manufactures their own phone (hardware) they still have to deal with many different hardware makers.

In other words, different CPU's, different GPU's, different screen sizes, different speeds, etc, etc. Interesting for app-developers too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Engadget

Besides just flipping the script on the brand, the company seems to be taking a much more vertical approach with hardware and user experience, dictating rigid specs for 7 Series devices (a specific CPU and speed, screen aspect ratio and resolution, memory, and even button configuration), and doing away with carrier or partner UI customizations such as Sense or TouchWiz.

Source.
  • Reply 110 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new software's "Start" screen includes constantly updated "live tiles" that show users real-time content. Microsoft has touted these as "breaking the mold of static icons that serve as an intermediate step on the way to an application."

Well, well, Microsoft takes 'living icons' from Mac OS X and makes good use of it on their phone platform. Good for them. Touting them as "breaking the mold" is a bit rich, though. After all, I think NeXTSTEP (predecessor of OS X) had these already almost 20 years ago.
  • Reply 111 of 450
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

... of course, it's not scheduled to be released until October. That'll be a major iPhoneOS version of software, a new iPhone hardware platform, and probably a couple of Android and WebOS releases from now.

Good news for Apple. They now have a month to look over the WinMo 7 details for ideas for iPhone OS 4.0.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

Do you mean Apple is "me, too"?

Last I remember Windows CE/Windows Mobile has a longer history than any Apple device besides the Newton.

iPhone OS uses the same kernel as Mac OS which is the OS from NeXT that Apple bought. The nearly predates Windows as a whole.
  • Reply 112 of 450
    Being a convert from PC to Mac after every PC I've owned became a piece of useless crap, it would be a cold day in hell before I gave up my iPhone to own another Microsoft piece of shit!!

And I don't mean that in a BAD way!!
  • Reply 113 of 450
    Apple does not make its products in a vacuum, they definitely need competition. They are able to succeed on others failures.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Since when did Apple need any? They are self-motivated to innovate, simple as that. Competition is good for prices I'd agree.

• Reply 114 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

WP 7 still doesn't work on a Mac.

So far my chief complaint is that it uses Internet Explorer. The mobile web is being built on HTML5 and MS has shown little interest in supporting standards. MS cannot be successful with that attitude on mobile devices. Their phones won't be able to support web pages that other phones will be able to.

I'm surprised there is no complaint about the fact WP 7 does not support Flash, I'm betting it will support Silverlight.

As far as i knew MS is supporting HTML 5 but its a double edged sword seeing as how it can kill off Silverlight.

Nothing had really been announced that WM7 will or wont support Flash or silverlight. Its got 9 months till release so heres hoping Flash is gonna be there
  • Reply 115 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

As far as i knew MS is supporting HTML 5 but its a double edged sword seeing as how it can kill off Silverlight.

MS has given some cursory support for HTML5, but for the most part no they have not embraced it.

Quote:

Nothing had really been announced that WM7 will or wont support Flash or silverlight. Its got 9 months till release so heres hoping Flash is gonna be there

Yes its been confirmed that WP 7 does not support Flash, of course anything is subject to change.
  • Reply 116 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Microsoft has officially introduced Windows Phone 7 Series

See how long it takes before they get sued by BMW
  • Reply 117 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkbaron View Post

I have been developing software (.NET) for over 12 years and multi tasking is not the answer to your problems. The iphone has multi tasking but it doesnt allow you to run multiple 3rd party apps. that is not the same thing.

Man, you failed! Please, stop with your BS.

.NET platform was introduced in 2002, so you couldn't develop using .NET for 12 years.
  • Reply 118 of 450
    Apple should not underestimate MS in this market. This looks like a good product, and always remember that IT-guys LOVE Microsoft. It has only been because the iPhone has been SO totally superior to existing WinMobile phones that corporations have been starting to tolerate the iPhone. But if MS can offer corporate IT a phone that users will be willing to tolerate (and possibly even actually like), then MS will be back in this fight in a hearbeat.

And don't make the mistake of assuming that because the Zune never gained traction against the iPod that this phone won't gain traction. Again, the difference is corporate IT (IT doesn't buy music players, but they do buy smart phones).

It will be a tough fight for MS because they're so far behind, but don't rule them out. (oh, and Palm & Android are now officially toast)
  • Reply 119 of 450
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I think it looks pretty good. After being bashed on the head by the iPhone and Android et al they finally get that people don't want their desktop OS on a phone. I've used many WinMo phones (mostly HTC and Palm) and it was just an ugly experience with the stylus navigating around but at least HTC made that experience more tolerable (loved their phones).

I'm surprised they didn't call it Zune OS or MSPhone OS.
  • Reply 120 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

I think Apple would be wise to look at the Home Page of the iPhone and over a similar type of Live Update facility. It would be useful to see how many emails, IM's, Texts, Phone calls etc, without having all the individual Apps required at the moment. More integration of contact info as well.

Apple can always learn from others and improve.

From a security and battery life point of view, this is a bad idea. These live updates will kill your battery in no time unless they use a push notification mechanism. For example, once you login to an iPhone, you can see all the push notifications you want.

Time will tell.