MWC: Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 Series

Comments

• Reply 121 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

herp derp Apple zealots will blast new WinMo 7 without even trying it...just like Windows 7 lol.

Just like all the MS lovers and Apple haters who bashed and are bashing the iPad without trying it? It's a common and stupid reaction from most. Look in the mirror before commenting.
  • Reply 122 of 450
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

...At least this bloody thing works on Verizon so I might be able to complete a phone call for the first time in nearly two years. Thats kinda important to some of us Mr. Apple.

Exaggerate much?
  • Reply 123 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

See how long it takes before they get sued by BMW

haha i dont think BMWs name patent extends to Mobile Phones so they probably couldnt do anything.
  • Reply 124 of 450
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

I just love how those buttons don't appear entirely on the screen. And some of the word titles too. I mean, are these guys trying to fuck our brains on purpose or what? They try to be "trendy" and "vry kewl" but it's just BAD design, period.

Considering the hardware and software are not goig to be released until "Holiday 2010", the pix in the article are simply mock-ups of what they plan on doing.
  • Reply 125 of 450
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

As far as i knew MS is supporting HTML 5 but its a double edged sword seeing as how it can kill off Silverlight.

MS has already started as some features of HTML5 to IE. More are coming as well as a truly competitive browser and JS engines.
    They won't implement everything, especially if it interferes with their Silverlight goals, like Canvas, but the video tag should be there.

Quote:

Nothing had really been announced that WM7 will or wont support Flash or silverlight. Its got 9 months till release so heres hoping Flash is gonna be there

The Zune doesn't support Flash so that is the initial reason why WinMo 7 doesn't. It'll likely come but Adobe has its hands full with multiple versions of multiple mobile OSes trying to get Flash 10.1 right now. Adobe will likely announce it before WinMo 7 goes live.
  • Reply 126 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

I think Apple would be wise to look at the Home Page of the iPhone and over a similar type of Live Update facility. It would be useful to see how many emails, IM's, Texts, Phone calls etc, without having all the individual Apps required at the moment. More integration of contact info as well.

Apple can always learn from others and improve.

When I unlock my phone, I already see how many new texts, phone calls, emails, IMs I have simply by being on my home page. There's nothing new here.
  • Reply 127 of 450
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Well, it looks different from the iPhone, which is no bad thing. Hard to tell how it will run from some slides but it looks pretty good.

I have 2 mobiles, one for personal use (iphone 3gs) and one for work (LG). I quite fancy replacing the work phone with a new win 7 handset if even just for Xbox Live.
  • Reply 128 of 450
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Using Zune style is pretty smart, since Zune had such monumental success in the industry. By now everyone has one so everyone knows how to use it.

"not"
  • Reply 129 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Wow a whole two years and you haven't completed a phone call for the first time... I'll give you credit... you are a very patient person. However, some might wonder why you haven't returned your phone, canceled your att and gotten with another carrier and phone that meets your needs... making a phone call. I mean there is beating a dead horse and then there is beating a dead horse... time to know when that puppy is dead! Other people will say, "Here's your sign!".

Couldn't agree more. Time to fix the problem. Open the iPhone and iPad to all carriers. Other companies do it. It's high time.
  • Reply 130 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Exaggerate much?

No sir. Ask anyone in the New York area.
  • Reply 131 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heil68 View Post

Can't wait to try this out. Looks like a vastly improved product.

It does look like a vastly improved product.

But, is it too little, too late? End of 2010 availability, with Apple expected to release a new revision of the iPhone, for sale, in June?

It has potential, but MS failure to execute in the mobile world for so long... I don't trust them to deliver a working product, nor for that product to work 'as advertised' today.

Just another example of MS F.U.D.
  • Reply 132 of 450
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    I'll bet a billion apps that Apple's momentum is going to continue despite this release...
  • Reply 133 of 450
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

When I unlock my phone, I already see how many new texts, phone calls, emails, IMs I have simply by being on my home page. There's nothing new here.

That isn't quite the same thing. They are looking for a way to have them all in the same place in a Notifications area. This is the most lacking on the iPhone. We should be able to see an inline history of all notifications that we can search through.

Every now and then i hit the wrong button and the notification goes away before I have time to read it. If it's not a text message I may never find out what it was because the apps tied to the Push Notification service don't necessarily show a number of unread messages, but even if they did having to search through every home page to find the one app with the right message is not user friendly.

WebOS and Android do a great job with this but I think Apple could do it better using features that iPhone OS already has built in.
  • Reply 134 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

See how long it takes before they get sued by BMW

Mr. Ballmer, I know 7 series and this, sir, is no 7 Series.
  • Reply 135 of 450
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Marketing mock-ups and spec documents. MS trying to stay in the game long enough to actually ship a useable product - or rather their 'partners'.

Wake me up when I can actually experience the magic for myself, (after iPhone OS4, iPhone 4 and iPad of course)

By the way there's no multitasking for 3rd Party apps or support for Flash - though I suspect Adobe will be on the HTML/Javascript bandwagon by then.
  • Reply 136 of 450
    Quote:

Ok, I'll look in the mirror and ask myself. I can certainly make and complete phone calls on my iPhone without dropping them. Yes, I drop a few here and there, but no more than I did with Vagizin. Saying you haven't made a call in 2 years is nothing but an exaggeration. No one in their right mind would have put up with such a problem for so long.
  • Reply 137 of 450
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I thought Apple patented multitouch?

Hardware looks nice, software is terrible. Oh well. Could have been nice. But it's not.
  • Reply 138 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Well, it looks different from the iPhone, which is no bad thing.

Is that because you believe that looking different is a Good Thing(TM) in and of itself or that you don't think that the iPhone's design is good? I only ask because I read some reviewer saying that he was "tired of the iPhone's interface", after about a year and welcomed something new, the implication being that people should replace their computer/phone/MP3 player on a regular basis to avoid being 'bored' by its interface.
  • Reply 139 of 450
    Quote:

Hey, while I agree that Metro NY area AT&T coverage sucks. Thats AT&Ts problem, not really Apples.

Now, I wish Apple had chosen a different carrier - any other carrier than AT&T, I can see how they arrived at the choice of AT&T for US.

OK, looking for a US carrier...

1.) Must Run GSM, because, you know, we'd like to sell this in countries other than the US without creating billions of versions of the hardware.

I pick... AT&T and... T-Mobile....

2.) Must have a strong nationwide presence.

3.) Must have data capacity that is compatible with world standards.

That leaves.. AT&T, sorry T-Mobile (to small, and wrong data spectrum).

So, we get... AT&T. Which really sucks.
  • Reply 140 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

MS has already started as some features of HTML5 to IE. More are coming as well as a truly competitive browser and JS engines.
    They won't implement everything, especially if it interferes with their Silverlight goals, like Canvas, but the video tag should be there.

The Zune doesn't support Flash so that is the initial reason why WinMo 7 doesn't. It'll likely come but Adobe has its hands full with multiple versions of multiple mobile OSes trying to get Flash 10.1 right now. Adobe will likely announce it before WinMo 7 goes live.

True, have you seen the video of the new WinMo7 running? Can definitely use some more polish and the browser was slower than that of my Zune HD. Browser is show around minute 4

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/15/w...ions/#comments