MWC: Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 Series

Comments

• Reply 141 of 450
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That isn't quite the same thing. They are looking for a way to have them all in the same place in a Notifications area. This is the most lacking on the iPhone. We should be able to see an inline history of all notifications that we can search through...

Having only 4 pages of apps, I can already see what I need to see simply by being on the home page. So, to me, having an inline history of all notifications is really not bringing all that much to the table. I understand your point and I always welcome the tweaks and enhancements that come down the pike, but this feature doesn't do all that much for me. That's not to say i couldn't be convinced otherwise.
  • Reply 142 of 450
    So let me get this straight: MS puts telephone capability into Zune software, doesn't incorporate Flash or multitasking (two of the things Apple-haters have been hammering the iPhone and the forthcoming iPad for lately), AND the whole thing won't ship for another 9 to 10 months (provided it doesn't get behind schedule, as is typical with MS), and THIS is supposed to be "innovation"?!? Seriously?

Color me unimpressed as well.
  • Reply 143 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

herp derp Apple zealots will blast new WinMo 7 without even trying it...just like Windows 7 lol.

Hmm.. "Apple zealots" coming from someone with a handle of "iFail", you wouldn't by chance be TROLLING, would you? The only thing worse than a fanboy is a fanboy of the opposite persuasion, calling out the other side. Give us a freakin' break, and quit embarrassing yourself.

Contrary to your misguided proclamation, this noted "Apple nutswinger" thinks MS has a great-looking product here with real potential to succeed. It's a bold move to have dumped everything and started from scratch, and an absolute necessity for WinMo7 (a much better name IMHO than the hideously long moniker they chose) to be successful in the current market. Competition is good, bring it on. Now if Ballmer would just realize that they need to do the same thing with Windows - start with a clean sheet of paper, while perhaps continuing parallel support of Win7 for some period - then he might really be onto something.
  • Reply 144 of 450
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

So let me get this straight: MS puts telephone capability into Zune software, doesn't incorporate Flash or multitasking (two of the things Apple-haters have been hammering the iPhone and the forthcoming iPad for lately), AND the whole thing won't ship for another 9 to 10 months (provided it doesn't get behind schedule, as is typical with MS), and THIS is supposed to be "innovation"?!? Seriously?

Color me unimpressed as well.

Let me set you straight: Apple takes telephone capability out of the iPhone software, doesn't incorporate Flash or multitasking (two of the things Apple-haters have been hammering the iPhone and the forthcoming iPad for lately), AND the whole thing won't ship for another 2 or 3 months (provided it doesn't get behind schedule), and THIS is supposed to be "innovation"?!? Seriously?

Color me unimpressed with the 'Pad as well.
  • Reply 145 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Ok, I'll look in the mirror and ask myself. I can certainly make and complete phone calls on my iPhone without dropping them. Yes, I drop a few here and there, but no more than I did with Vagizin. Saying you haven't made a call in 2 years is nothing but an exaggeration. No one in their right mind would have put up with such a problem for so long.

Yes, your right. I should have thrown good money after bad and bought myself out of my contract.

I have taken you guys off topic, this is supposed to be a discussion about Microsoft, not AT&T. I was just pointing out that the Windows 7 phone is open to multiple carriers as the iPhone should be.

But that would be wrong. You all think the current business model is best so I will accept your opinions and have my mind examined. I'll call for an appointment right away. If I can get a signal.
  • Reply 146 of 450
    Quote:

I'll give you 0/10 for your trolling attempts sir.

You have 298 posts, and I'll bet that if I wasted the time to look at them, they would consist of 298 trolling attempts. And based on what little drivel I've seen from you in this thread, I'm quite sure you've failed 298 times.
  • Reply 147 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big KC View Post

You have 298 posts, and I'll bet that if I wasted the time to look at them, they would consist of 298 trolling attempts. And based on what little drivel I've seen from you in this thread, I'm quite sure you've failed 298 times.

Har! He owns you!
  • Reply 148 of 450
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I think MS is mostly doing this to improve those comically embarrassing JS speed graphs. They seem tepid at best about supporting much else. I think ultimately they will be forced to come along. Webkit dominates the mobile web and developers are going to take advantage of its abilities. Seeing as MS has no problem with shooting themselves in the foot, to kill their own product. Hopefully they are learning from past failure.

I guess that's true WP will be an open platform and the ball with be in Adobe's court to support the platform. Adapting Flash to all of these platforms is a tall order, its difficult to see how they can do it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

MS has already started as some features of HTML5 to IE. More are coming as well as a truly competitive browser and JS engines.

They won't implement everything, especially if it interferes with their Silverlight goals, like Canvas, but the video tag should be there.

The Zune doesn't support Flash so that is the initial reason why WinMo 7 doesn't. It'll likely come but Adobe has its hands full with multiple versions of multiple mobile OSes trying to get Flash 10.1 right now. Adobe will likely announce it before WinMo 7 goes live.

• Reply 149 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:

Hmm.. "Apple zealots" coming from someone with a handle of "iFail", you wouldn't by chance be TROLLING, would you? The only thing worse than a fanboy is a fanboy of the opposite persuasion, calling out the other side. Give us a freakin' break, and quit embarrassing yourself.

Contrary to your misguided proclamation, this noted "Apple nutswinger" thinks MS has a great-looking product here with real potential to succeed. It's a bold move to have dumped everything and started from scratch, and an absolute necessity for WinMo7 (a much better name IMHO than the hideously long moniker they chose) to be successful in the current market. Competition is good, bring it on. Now if Ballmer would just realize that they need to do the same thing with Windows - start with a clean sheet of paper, while perhaps continuing parallel support of Win7 for some period - then he might really be onto something.

u mad dog? Im no fanboy of anything other than 360 and Modern Warfare 2. I own 2 Macs, a hackintosh with Win 7 ultimate, PS3, and use a BlackBerry Bold...so id say im about as neutral as they come. I'll use any product that is good suffice to say.

WM7 is the leap that the iPhone brought in 07 with a fresh and crisp UI. Browser looks weak and MS isnt really touching on Multi-tasking (its there, but i like being able to switch apps like my BB, not go home then have the app pop up where it was). MIX should bring some interesting news, along with June and Apples inevitable announcement of the 4th Gen iPhone and OS4
  • Reply 150 of 450
    Quote:

-9000/10 on all your 35 posts, now why do you add something constructive instead of trying to call me a troll you twat
  • Reply 151 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Yes, your right. I should have thrown good money after bad and bought myself out of my contract.

I have taken you guys off topic, this is supposed to be a discussion about Microsoft, not AT&T. I was just pointing out that the Windows 7 phone is open to multiple carriers as the iPhone should be.

But that would be wrong. You all think the current business model is best so I will accept your opinions and have my mind examined. I'll call for an appointment right away. If I can get a signal.

If your service was that bad, I think AT&T would have let you out of your contract. When I bought the 3G in July of '08, I could barely get 3G and my iPhone would always drop calls when switching from Edge to 3G and vice-versa. Before the 30 days was over, I returned my iPhone, cancelled my contract, and went back to Verizon. In my own experience, both AT&T and Apple were surprisingly accommodating. It wasn't until February of '09 that I gave them another try. As for throwing good money after bad, a $175 cancellation feed would still be preferential to having no service. I never said that the current business model was best. I would love for another carrier to get the iPhone. All the AT&T haters can then go switch and those of us who are happy with AT&T can stay. Everybody wins. Don't be so melodramatic, we probably all need our heads examined for spending us much time as we do on these and other forums.
  • Reply 152 of 450
    Quote:

u mad dog? Im no fanboy of anything other than 360 and Modern Warfare 2. I own 2 Macs, a hackintosh with Win 7 ultimate, PS3, and use a BlackBerry Bold...so id say im about as neutral as they come. I'll use any product that is good suffice to say.

WM7 is the leap that the iPhone brought in 07 with a fresh and crisp UI. Browser looks weak and MS isnt really touching on Multi-tasking (its there, but i like being able to switch apps like my BB, not go home then have the app pop up where it was). MIX should bring some interesting news, along with June and Apples inevitable announcement of the 4th Gen iPhone and OS4

Except.... WinMo7 isn't a leap beyond the current phones. Sure it has a marginally different interface metaphor, but so do the android platforms. Sure the new metaphor is more 'active' than icons, moto-blur anyone?

But WinMo7 on a device doesn't exist. And won't for 10 months?

Sure the interface looks slick in a PowerPoint presentation. But Apple hasn't delivered a 'new' iPhone in 2 years -- the GS was more of a .X release.

When I have the WinMo7 phone in my hands and I can evaluate responsiveness, taps to accomplish a given task (something Windows Pocket PC never mastered), battery life and cost. Then we can evaluate whether it is a 'leap'.

Until then, MS Windows 'Phone' is still just an also ran, and this announcement is just another load of hot air.
  • Reply 153 of 450
    Quote:

Quote:

-9000/10 on all your 35 posts, now why do you add something constructive instead of trying to call me a troll you twat

This is reason why, I dislike this forum sometimes, name calling so childish! I read all four pages of this thread and you started name calling earlier on.
  • Reply 154 of 450
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yes its been confirmed that WP 7 does not support Flash, of course anything is subject to change.

It won't support at launch, but will later according to MS and Adobe
  • Reply 155 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

When I have the WinMo7 phone in my hands and I can evaluate responsiveness, taps to accomplish a given task (something Windows Pocket PC never mastered), battery life and cost. Then we can evaluate whether it is a 'leap'.

Until then, MS Windows 'Phone' is still just an also ran, and this announcement is just another load of hot air.

Would you also say that until you have an iPad in your hands, the iPad is still just an also ran, and that its announcement is just another load of hot air?

If not, then why not?
  • Reply 156 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

It won't support at launch, but will later according to MS and Adobe

So 8 months isn't enough time to get it ready for launch???
  • Reply 157 of 450
    You gotta hand it to Microsoft here. Few could simplify an interface so much but still leave it so alien and confusing to the average user.
  • Reply 158 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

Except.... WinMo7 isn't a leap beyond the current iphone. Sure it has a marginally different interface metaphor, but so do the android platforms. Sure the new metaphor is more 'active' than icons, moto-blur anyone?

But WinMo7 on a device doesn't exist. And won't for 10 months?

Sure the interface looks slick in a PowerPoint presentation. But Apple hasn't delivered a 'new' iPhone in 2 years -- the GS was more of a .X release.

Except this blow MotoBlur out the water.I also didnt say it leaped the iPhone but its UI is certainly the best looking in my eyes.

Have you seen the videos running in real-time? It looks pretty good, even with the placeholder stuff they have in there but its easy to tell there is still more work that needs to be done to polish it up.

The industry has been waiting for WinMo7 for years now, its poised to deliver currently. MIX is supposed to show a lot more next month. It will be nice to see how the phones are, since i hear MS partnered with QUALCOMM and the base processor for WM7 is the Snapdragon
  • Reply 159 of 450
    Call me crazy, but the WinMo7 seems like a big, convoluted mess. Everything seems interconnected with everything else and it seems like you're inundated with all kinds of information that you may not necessarily be interested in seeing at that particular moment. Not for nothing, but when I want to see my Facebook updates, I'll go to my app and open it. I don't need to see every single update the instant they are posted, and certainly not when I'm trying to check my recent phone calls. It just seemed like too much mixed together. It'll be interesting to see what the next 8-9 months brings.
  • Reply 160 of 450
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]Absolutely Brilliant Microsoft Effort... Enough Said[/CENTER]