MWC: Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 Series

Comments

• Reply 161 of 450
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    22-minute walkthrough of the UI for those of you who chose to bash first and ask questions later:

http://gizmodo.com/5472166/an-epic-2...indows-phone-7
  • Reply 162 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

we probably all need our heads examined for spending us much time as we do on these and other forums.

That's for sure! I come here to try to learn something and get a peek at what is in the pipeline for tomorrow. It's just so easy to get sucked into the negativity.
  • Reply 163 of 450
    How come Microsoft is always aiming for Apple or Google, and not the other way around. Microsoft should consider changing it's name to ME2.
  • Reply 164 of 450
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Having only 4 pages of apps, I can already see what I need to see simply by being on the home page. So, to me, having an inline history of all notifications is really not bringing all that much to the table. I understand your point and I always welcome the tweaks and enhancements that come down the pike, but this feature doesn't do all that much for me. That's not to say i couldn't be convinced otherwise.

I must be a heavier user than you. I can't tell you how many times I've been sing my iPhone and a popover notification came up and I closed it before getting read it having no way to tell what app it was from without going into all my apps that se notifications. It was nice when SMS was the only thing that used it, but the design was shortsighted.

On the other side of the coin, is your messages piling up. The popover can barely show two and usually not completely. Having them stored in central repository for you to see them in a timeline associated with each app without having to scour your home screens and access each app to read them is simply something needed at this point.
  • Reply 165 of 450
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

I think Apple would be wise to look at the Home Page of the iPhone and over a similar type of Live Update facility. It would be useful to see how many emails, IM's, Texts, Phone calls etc, without having all the individual Apps required at the moment. More integration of contact info as well.

Apple can always learn from others and improve.

Yes, Apple definitely can learn from others and improve. But mostly they march to their own well researched beat. All of the things you mention above I already have and I would imagine, so do you. And re the mutli-tasking complaint - I think that is a user experience choice first and foremost from Apple's pov. Simplicity is the most important feature of the iPhone. It ensures everyone can use it right out of the box.

But I too think the home screen is ready for a refresh. It definitely could be smarter. It would be great to have the ability to customize it with live feeds of my choice as suggested in the MS version and I like the 'social' integration.

I gotta say I kind of like the idea of a search button. To get to search within the iphone is a pain.
  • Reply 166 of 450
    Wow. What a confusing mess of an interface!
  • Reply 167 of 450
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I must be a heavier user than you. I can't tell you how many times I've been sing my iPhone and a popover notification came up and I closed it before getting read it having no way to tell what app it was from without going into all my apps that se notifications. It was nice when SMS was the only thing that used it, but the design was shortsighted.

On the other side of the coin, is your messages piling up. The popover can barely show two and usually not completely. Having them stored in central repository for you to see them in a timeline associated with each app without having to scour your home screens and access each app to read them is simply something needed at this point.

Yeah, it sounds like you're a much heavier user than me. Hopefully we'll see some cool things in iPhone OS4.0 that may address some of your concerns.
  • Reply 168 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

OK, I thought I was the only one that thought so.
  • Reply 169 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:

how is that confusing, and im being serious.
  • Reply 170 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

...I gotta say I kind of like the idea of a search button. To get to search within the iphone is a pain.

Hitting the home button twice is that hard?
  • Reply 171 of 450
    Rather a bad copy then a real innovation, too little too late to gain market share over the Iphone.

The upsmuck is maybe good looking, but when you want to connect to a wireless network you will find no doubt the real ms-shitty menu's, which no one will ever understand, except the techs from Seattle.

No it is time for us too laugh loud as Balmer on this new product.

To make a joke, where is the ctrl=alt-del button
  • Reply 172 of 450
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

I have to agree. I didn't like the way it appears to free scroll so you end up with half-tiles or whatever their calling them showing up on the screen, along with random edge text from the bits that don't fit on the page. I can only suppose they did this to mimic a long web page, but it doesn't make sense for a 'desktop' to do this. My first impression was that the UI was ugly.

As to the 'live' bit, I'm not sure how this is different than the numbers next to your phone, e-mail, and text messages in the iPhone GUI. I can only assume the Berry does something similar. As to the pics, I don't care to have my pics showing up in mini-thumbnails on my main desktop. They are not all meant for public consumption

Ah well, to each his own. I'll pass.
  • Reply 173 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:

Hitting the home button twice is that hard?

assuming you have your double home tap set to search.
  • Reply 174 of 450
    Not bad but nothing groundbreaking that'll win over current iPhone users. Will see how the market reacts.

We'll get iPhone OS 4 before Windows Phone 7 Series hit the market.
  • Reply 175 of 450
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

One touch from the home screen takes you to search. Two (separate) touches from any other screen takes you to search, regardless of what you have the double-tap set to. You can also set the double-tap to take you to search making it even faster from non-home screens.

Therefore, to say that it's "hard" to get to search on an iPhone is a complete misrepresentation.
  • Reply 176 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I'm not talking about double-clicking the home button, I'm talking about hitting it once to go to the home page and again to go to the search page. My phone is set to go to my phone favorites when I double-click the home button. You can do both.
  • Reply 177 of 450
    "The first handsets are expected to arrive in holiday 2010."

Does this refer to Christmas?
  • Reply 178 of 450
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

22-minute walkthrough of the UI for those of you who chose to bash first and ask questions later:

http://gizmodo.com/5472166/an-epic-2...indows-phone-7

Holy crap! Never again will us Apple fanbois have to endure taunts of style over substance. That interface is just ridiculous. The hyperactive animations are SO annoying. "Gee. Those animations on the new Apple iPhone are cool. Lets AMP THEM UP TO 11!" Everything jiggles, twists, bounces, rotates; FOR NO REASON! Pointless eye-candy to the Max.

Seriously ridiculous. I understand the rationale behind the 'motion' and the 'floating' (kids of today, the 'cloud' etc) interface but the lack of a notional physical anchor and the partial obscuration of menu items to suggest off-screen content is just nuts. It doesn't work. They'll be studying this in HCI labs for years.
  • Reply 179 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Photosmike View Post

"The first handsets are expected to arrive in holiday 2010."

Does this refer to Christmas?

I would assume so. I don't think they're referring to Memorial Day or the 4th of July.
  • Reply 180 of 450
    Creative Director's POV: Clean, simple, grid driven... zzzzzz...

It looks like a wireframe with FPO images instead of the final art.

Hey, Balmer. Next time, hire some creatives to finish the product before it hits the shelves.