MWC: Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 Series

Comments

• Reply 241 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Apple is the one that programmed the iPhone to do the double-click thing. They're also the ones who programmed the iPhone to go to the search page when you hit the Home button while on the Home page.

Apple is the one that allows me to do a double click to ipod, double click to search or double click to homepage.

Of course, I had to pay cash to have that ability... which also cocked up the nice way OS2 used to work.

Quote:

Come on, have we sunk to a new level of laziness that we can't even click a button twice?

So let me get this straight.

If apple makes you do more to get a certain command/application, you are lazy if you dont use it.

But

If Microsoft makes you do more to get a certain command/application, its all sloppy and evil development.
  • Reply 242 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nz_silverfox View Post

Like you really believe that MS could produce Mac software that isn't bloatware?

Well, they certainly couldnt do any worse than Apple does with iTunes on Windows.
  • Reply 243 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Well, they certainly couldnt do any worse than Apple does with iTunes on Windows.

Yeah, thats Apple payback for Office for Mac 2008
  • Reply 244 of 450
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    This coming from some of the biggest Apple fanboys on the planet:

Windows Phone 7 Interface: Microsoft Has Out-Appled Apple

Quote:

Rather than accessing an app to get contact information and make a call to a person, open another app to get her Twitter updates, and then another app to get her Facebook updates, and another for her latest mails to you, and yet another one to watch her photos, the Windows Phone's people hub offers a seamless view into all of it, presented in a very simple and logical way. On a function-centric model like the iPhone, when the user thinks "I want to make a call", he puts the device in "calling mode" by clicking on an app, selects a contact, and calls. When the user thinks "What's up with John Smith?" he puts the device in Facebook or Twitter or Mail mode, and so on.

Microsoft has organized the hubs into panoramas, by stitching groups of information as columns of a single landscape screen?bigger than the phone's display?that can be scrolled with your finger. The solution?tied together with minimalist interface aesthetics and animations that are inviting, elegant, and never superfluous?works great.

• Reply 245 of 450
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkbaron View Post

Dont forget (and I talk as someone who works for a Microsoft Premier Partner) that although the interface on series 7 look cool and zune like, the code base is very much unchanged. Expect this os to have the same issues that have plagued windows mobile for the last 6 itterations!

According to this (from http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=17684):

The first surprise is in the base operating system. The past Windows Mobile operating system code base is about to become officially retired, relegated to some forgotten change management repository. In its place will be an entirely new mobile phone operating system built atop the existing OS on Microsoft's Zune MP3 players.

In that respect Windows Mobile 7 could be hailed as the long awaited "Zune phone" as it shares much of the look of the Zune, with bright, flat square icons, large text and nary a chiclet in site. The look provides the first true alternative to the iPhone (competitors like Palm and Google have largely emulated Apple's chiclet grid look) and will likely appeal to many customers.

Win 6 Mobile platform is scrapped, and 7 is a fresh start.

We'll see. I personally think it looks promising.
  • Reply 246 of 450
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Dear Apple,

Just because Windows Mobile 7 Series Professional SP2 2010 is underwhelming and a yawnfest, please do not sit on your laurels. Make iPhone OS 4.0 an A++ update.

Sincerely,

Someone ready for a nap.
  • Reply 247 of 450
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It does change the user experience, but not necessarily for the better. The method employed by Android and WebOS are not intelligent or user friendly.

[CENTER]To You - That Is... Many others find it enhances productivity and usability immensely.

Of course if Apple's offerings supported multi-tasking (of all apps), then I have little doubt that attitudes would be much different.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 248 of 450
    I see this is the same left-to right - then up- down interface that the Sony Playstation has. Apple seems to have missed following up on the idea of fluid animation interfaces - that are entirely pointless but make you go ooh-ahh every-time you use them just like the OSX dock
  • Reply 249 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Windows? Is any other comment necessary?

I conaider myself, somewhat of a mac zealot in that the experience is really there, for example, most Apple programs work the way you think they should, unlike windows where you have to do several more clicks to obtain the same results, that said win 7 is the most stable I've seen in a long time and they dont have to worry about suportting so many operating systems, which was a nightmare in the past, me, millinium, xp, vista , server 03/08 so now they more streamlined and 7 works really good on old hardware.

Plus they've had the touch out for quite sometime. Anyone watch NCIS Los Angeles? I wonder if that is touch. Plus I read an article that some restaraunts have them built into the table. The waitress brings the bill, digital and you drag and drop what you hade and then use your card directly on the tableto pay bills.

Sure 6.5 is not an iPhone OS but it's a lot better then 6.1.

Wonder if it has flash for tv websites?
  • Reply 250 of 450
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Unless, of course, Apple adopts Bing as it's default search engine and then you will argue why it's better than Google.

You misunderstand. The poster wasn't necessarily complaining about Bing as the search engine... it's the presence of a dedicated HARDWARE BUTTON whose sole purpose is to invoke it.

That's just plain ridiculous when a software solution is possible and more elegant. What's up with Microsoft (and PC vendors') fascination with extra buttons?

Thompson
  • Reply 251 of 450
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

You misunderstand. The poster wasn't necessarily complaining about Bing as the search engine... it's the presence of a dedicated HARDWARE BUTTON whose sole purpose is to invoke it.

That's just plain ridiculous when a software solution is possible and more elegant. What's up with Microsoft (and PC vendors') fascination with extra buttons?

Thompson

So YOU are deeming it wrong and unnecessary? I'm willing to give it a try to see how it works in practice instead of just writing it off so quickly.

I personally use search enough that I wouldn't mind having the feature -- but that's just my personal opinion.

The live keynote showed just how tightly integrated Bing search is with Windows Phone 7 Series that I can see why they have a dedicated button.
  • Reply 252 of 450
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[RIGHT]To You - That Is... Many others find it enhances productivity and usability immensely.

Of course if Apple's offerings supported multi-tasking (of all apps), then I have little doubt that attitudes would be much different.[/RIGHT]

So only when ";' use multitasking do my phones resources get used up with the performance and battery life suffer? No one else, just me. That's a great argument!

Try being a little objective for once. Multitasking is in the iPhone, what isn't enabled is App Store multitasking. Apple doesn't allow it's own apps in the App Store to multitask, either. Allowing any and all apps to run in the background forever and day once they've been opened is lazy and shortsighted. Having a separate app for managing these apps after they're opened and having them kill other apps running in the background when you need the RAM does not create a good user experience.

Having a controlled method for which the apps with reason to run in the background can background is the intelligent way to go. Having guidelines for the amount of resources background apps will use in the background is insightful. This takes more time to develop than the free for all ho down you've envisioned.
  • Reply 253 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Couldn't agree more. Time to fix the problem. Open the iPhone and iPad to all carriers. Other companies do it. It's high time.

Technically the iPad is open to other carriers. In practice of course you can only use it on AT&T due to the 3G frequencies and funky microSIM
  • Reply 254 of 450
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Sure 6.5 is not an iPhone OS but it's a lot better then 6.1.

Wonder if it has flash for tv websites?

At this point Hulu and other only require 10.0, I think. Flash 10.1 will work as a Flash player, but the HW may not be able to support Flash as the player. If they can get HW acceleration working and the content is in H.264 I'd wager the lower res will be playable without stuttering, but I have doubts about the higher res content. However, your battery will be taking a hit regardless.
  • Reply 255 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surferfromuk View Post

I see this is the same left-to right - then up- down interface that the Sony Playstation has. Apple seems to have missed following up on the idea of fluid animation interfaces - that are entirely pointless but make you go ooh-ahh every-time you use them just like the OSX dock

I completely agree that Apple needs to do more with the idea. Oddly my favorite part of the iphone/ipod interface is when I move an email to a different folder. The cutsie animation of the message flying to another folder is absolutely great and shows what is going on. I could use a lot more of those little animated touches
  • Reply 256 of 450
    Not sure I like the idea of sliding the phone along a card to select the screen you wand to use, that's surely gonna be a clumsy interface.

• Reply 257 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

So let me get this straight.

If apple makes you do more to get a certain command/application, you are lazy if you dont use it.

But

If Microsoft makes you do more to get a certain command/application, its all sloppy and evil development.

Moron alert.

There is no simpler way of accessing search from anywhere in the system than double tapping the home button.

Troll.
  • Reply 258 of 450
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So only when ";' use multitasking do my phones resources get used up with the performance and battery life suffer? No one else, just me. That's a great argument!

Try being a little objective for once. Multitasking is in the iPhone, what isn't enabled is App Store multitasking. Apple doesn't allow it's own apps in the App Store to multitask, either. Allowing any and all apps to run in the background forever and day once they've been opened is lazy and shortsighted. Having a separate app for managing these apps after they're opened and having them kill other apps running in the background when you need the RAM does not create a good user experience.

Having a controlled method for which the apps with reason to run in the background can background is the intelligent way to go. Having guidelines for the amount of resources background apps will use in the background is insightful. This takes more time to develop than the free for all ho down you've envisioned.

[CENTER]Hmmm?

I never once denied that the iPhone does multi-task Apple's core apps, just not 'apps' of the user's choosing.

(Note: I do expect better levels of comprehension from one so 'allegedly' intellectually superior)

As far as your claim that multi-tasking results in suffering 'performance and battery life', I direct to Motorola's DROID, which multi-task any/all installed apps yet still consistently achieves greater battery autonomy than my iPhone 3GS.

The iPhone is undoubtedly a fine device, but some of these 'excuses' for features it's clearly lacking are just that - excuses that can be easily rectified with more proficient hardware/software design/integration. [/CENTER]
  • Reply 259 of 450
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

This coming from some of the biggest Apple fanboys on the planet:

Windows Phone 7 Interface: Microsoft Has Out-Appled Apple

To quote from the Gizmodo piece - "I'm sorry, Cupertino, but Microsoft has nailed it. Windows Phone 7 feels like an iPhone from the future. The UI has the simplicity and elegance of Apple's industrial design, while the iPhone's UI still feels like a colorized Palm Pilot."

Interesting reading for sure, and I like what I see. It really is a big step beyond the iPhone. I can't imagine anyone expected anything so good after years of Windows Mobile being a joke.

Well done MS, now it's your turn Apple, modernise the iPhone.
  • Reply 260 of 450
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Multitasking is far from a sprinkle. You talk about MS being a year behind, not having multitasking is about five years behind.

Some Flash sprinkle would help, too.

Even Queen acknowledged importance of Flash in their song, with catchy line: "Flash! A-ha, saviour of the universe!"

Now, seriously. I don't mind (much) lack of multitasking on a phone, and can even do with ne Flash on small screen. What kills me is poor phone module - maybe it is something with Vodafone network here in NZ, but however you turn it, iPhones are having "No Service" in spots where other phones (I had) have solid signal.

Additionally, I'd like iPhone to be a bit more open. Apple could have kept music and other media folders (with paid content) locked and hidden, but I can't see a reason why I could not plug my phone to any PC and copy, say, images or documents to and from.

I like the idea of Win 7 Mobile GUI, but lets see the implementation. So far, it is promising enough to keep me interested.