Sources offer peek at Adobe Creative Suite 5 for Mac

Comments

• Reply 101 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

For my line of work there is some competition: CorelDraw. It's PC only and it does technical drawing with dimensions VERY well. The whole Creative Suite focus on web oriented tasks makes it harder and harder for me to justify using Illustrator. If CorelDraw ever came back to the Mac, I would have to seriously consider it because of it's out of the box superiority in the areas of technical drawing.

I agree. Illustrator needs some attention. So much more could be done with it.

You almost made me punch my beautiful Mac... and if there was a thing as location aware time travel... you'd be in some serious pain right now!

Sorry... but as bad as some things are with Adobe... they are a world of difference better than ANYTHING from C****!

So why am I so "violently" opposed to that company? Well I've wasted literally days of my life getting projects to print or RIP... or do anything with data sent to me from this un-Gawdly FU of a program. You name it, from EPS to PDFs, even JPGs are a mess... which is pretty friggin' hard to screw up.

Yes... the users on the other end are mostly to blame, with their love of "rainbow gradients" with Faux-3D text, and a solar-eclipse-like shadow... but hey, it's C****'s problem if they can't find a way to flatten the damn thing to make it usable for anything other than monitor-sickness.

Sorry buddy... I sure hope your not one of those types of users.... and yes C**** is a dirty word here in this studio!

PS: my cat took a look at me and jumped out the window... no kickin' that clever beast
  • Reply 102 of 128
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

PS: my cat took a look at me and jumped out the window... no kickin' that clever beast

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
  • Reply 103 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaisdaddy View Post

A few years ago, when Adobe bought out Serious Magic, I was excited and hopeful that they would bring the vector keyer from Ultra to the Mac. So far, they only shipped a rebranded version of the Windows only Ultra with the CS3 release and then completely dropped it for CS4.

If I had the cash, I'd buy Canvas back from ACD, tear it apart and fix the bugs I'm so familiar with and maybe buy the rights to the excellent but currently comatose TypeStyler and add those features to it. Oh, and I'd drop the Windows version out of spite. (OK, I wouldn't but I would enjoy thinking about it...)

Oh man, I'd forgotten Canvas. I used it too and loved it. I was very upset when they dropped Macs as I also got a lot done with that product. TypeStyler was my other tool of choice and I miss it greatly. It would be cool to develop a suite of individual small tools that quickly build up the buttons, navigation bar, and user interface for websites. That's why I like Web Assist's products and am so frustrated that they won't run on CS4's Dreamweaver.
  • Reply 104 of 128
    OK... after calling my cat back in and calming down some, I thought you (cygnusrk727) might like to see what kinds of software that C**** does produce for the Mac, and "it's" problems.

CGTalk Painter Thread

C****Painter Thread

ConceptOrg Painter Thread

Gawd forbid if they ever decided to try and port anything to the Mac again!!!
  • Reply 105 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Is it just me, or is the guy who narrates that clip about the silliest thing since Peewee Herman? It's almost like he's trying to sound like an incompetent fool.

That guy is Russel Brown and he's the most competent fool you could get to speek about Adobe Photoshop. He knows his voice is wacky and yes he plays it up. But he knows more about that program than most people could ever dream of.
  • Reply 106 of 128
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Is Adobe adopting Apple's philosophy of releasing same product annually with few new features at the same price? I just got CS4 and now its CS5 coming.
  • Reply 107 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Yes, I'm afraid so. Me too. Print is dying super fast, I am afraid. I was wondering if Adobe would try to help out designers. I've been trying to learn hand coding of web sites. I t is so slow. (Actually, what I would like is a pro version of iWeb from Apple.

I too am an old school designer. The last two years I was at college was when Macs were first being accepted as actual tools for print design. Web design, what was that? Still just a sparkle in Al Gore's mind.

I have been doing web design for close to 10 years now and I don't know what was so wrong with tables and Photoshop and ImageReady? But apparently, those are all bad words now. So I agree with you 100%. Please, someone, anyone, come up with a program that allows designers to design and not have to learn code. My productivity will go up 100%.
  • Reply 108 of 128
    Quote:

OK... after calling my cat back in and calming down some, I thought you (cygnusrk727) might like to see what kinds of software that C**** does produce for the Mac, and "it's" problems.

CGTalk Painter Thread

C****Painter Thread

ConceptOrg Painter Thread

Gawd forbid if they ever decided to try and port anything to the Mac again!!!

Trust me. I'm no fan of CorelDraw. It's a big player in my field unfortunately, and it's advantages over Illustrator for scaled drawings, importing and exporting with cad programs, all at a better price point, is the only reason I would HAVE to switch. Adobe has done little to cater to this market requiring expensive third party plug-ins to do simple tasks. It's hard to justify paying twice as much for a program to your boss who would in all honestly like to see Macs out of the office.

All of your examples are for Painter. I never said anything about Photoshop. To be honest, in the field of print, which you keep alluding to, I would have thought the exclusion of CorelDraw was a forgone conclusion many years ago not needing of a tirade on a public forum. I can see why you are a cat person.
  • Reply 109 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Is Adobe adopting Apple's philosophy of releasing same product annually with few new features at the same price? I just got CS4 and now its CS5 coming.

CS4 was released in October 2008. An April 2010 release date for CS5 would be consistent with the 18 months release schedule which Adobe seems to try to adhere to. Apple's release schedule differs by product.
  • Reply 110 of 128
    Quote:

Trust me. I'm no fan of CorelDraw. It's a big player in my field unfortunately, and it's advantages over Illustrator for scaled drawings, importing and exporting with cad programs, all at a better price point, is the only reason I would HAVE to switch. Adobe has done little to cater to this market requiring expensive third party plug-ins to do simple tasks. It's hard to justify paying twice as much for a program to your boss who would in all honestly like to see Macs out of the office.

All of your examples are for Painter. I never said anything about Photoshop. To be honest, in the field of print, which you keep alluding to, I would have thought the exclusion of CorelDraw was a forgone conclusion many years ago not needing of a tirade on a public forum. I can see why you are a cat person.

My apologies for the tirade. Sorry... but if I see or hear the "Dirty Word" I freak seriously!

As to that "program" being excluded years ago... maybe in the US, but here in Germany, every sign, silkscreen, and film-cutting firm uses it. Most of these shops are mom-n-pop, and I don't want to belittle their efforts... but the problem is that they think that they are also "Advertising and Design" firms. I mostly get their hideous creations to adapt to packaging and the real design world, after their client realizes that they are not saving anything (like money), or being badly served by having their image and branding done be the equivalent of an auto mechanic.

End of rant... again... sorry.

PS: yes, I have heard that C**** excels in the CAD cross-over category. Good for them. Please stay away from print is all I ask.

PSS: pointing at the Painter threads was just meant to scare you from wanting them to do the same to Draw. Check out the problems Mac users have trying to install the program... and later run it. Sad, because Painter was originally written specifically for the Mac... until C**** got their hands on it.

Well... I guess on the positive side it's still being developed for Mac users... unlike Adobe flat out killing FreeHand.
  • Reply 111 of 128
    Quote:

As to that "program" being excluded years ago... maybe in the US, but here in Germany, every sign, silkscreen, and film-cutting firm uses it. Most of these shops are mom-n-pop, and I don't want to belittle their efforts... but the problem is that they think that they are also "Advertising and Design" firms. I mostly get their hideous creations to adapt to packaging and the real design world, after their client realizes that they are not saving anything (like money), or being badly served by having their image and branding done be the equivalent of an auto mechanic.

I do feel your pain. It is the design aspects of Illustrator which I trumpet when the C-word is brought up from my superiors. I'm actually a member of a CorelDraw sucks group on facebook if that helps to make amends.

Pretty much the same here except my 'mom and pops' are little sign companies and or manufacturers working with ancient PCs with ancient copies of Corel Draw...or worse....

Enjoy a delicious German Hefeweizen for me.
  • Reply 112 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asbeve View Post

I hope InDesign CS5 will be faster and make better use of multiple processor cores (Grand Central Dispatch). Especially when printing and exporting to PDF. I hope the same for Photoshop too.

Yeah I hope they do use Grand Central, and OpenCL too. If they don't.... then they are idiots.
  • Reply 113 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asbeve View Post

I hope InDesign CS5 will be faster and make better use of multiple processor cores (Grand Central Dispatch). Especially when printing and exporting to PDF. I hope the same for Photoshop too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kasakka View Post

While I agree about Dreamweaver being easily replaced by Textmate, Pixelmator is still no Photoshop and Vector Designer doesn't seem to do well with very complex illustrations (slows down to a crawl) last time I tried it.

I really want to like Pixelmator and Vector Designer because both are made to work well with OSX and both are better designed than Photoshop and Illustrator but they are still lacking so many features and above all don't allow opening PSD/AI/PDF formats properly. By comparison for example iWork does just fine for my office app needs because it handles the MS Office formats fairly well.

I really wish the developers of those two would get some serious backing and more developers behind them.

See what happens when Developers follow standards, and use modern API's, you get kick ass apps.

I think Adobe needs to stop acquiring other companies for the time being, and concentrate on cleaning up their 20 year or so old codebase, and get bloody FLASH fixed/cleaned up.
  • Reply 114 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

Any word on about the video side of things? After Effects? Encore?

http://blogs.adobe.com/keyframes/200...it_native.html

Looks like the end of 32-bit with Adobe After Effects. I didn't see anything about new features but here is where 64-bit is really going to shine. Time is money and these under-the-hood improvements in CS5 are a real reason for me to upgrade.
  • Reply 115 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

that's what would happen in a windows installation, and i'm not surprised the same happens in osx

They should stop using their damn home baked slow as molasses installers, Use Apples Installers, and stop spewing their private Frameworks and other bits, all over the place on users Hard Drives. And put all "Adobe related" preferences in an "Adobe Folder" too.

They are just damn lazy. I would hate to see their build process, its probably over complicated, and convoluted. No wonder so many weird bugs turn up in Adobe Software (yes Flash the finger is pointed at you).
  • Reply 116 of 128
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I love how all the little kiddies are so knowledgeable about professional design. Pretty easy to pirate a copy, try it out for 15 minutes and then dismiss it as a piece of crap. After reading all the comments in this thread, it's pretty clear that having a rational discussion about CS5 or Adobe products of any flavor would be pretty much impossible here... sayonara whiners.
  • Reply 117 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sip View Post

If only this came with Middle Eastern support as standard.

Yes. thats another thing. This should have been done AGES ago. There should not be a separate Middle East capable version, There should only be one version that Does ALL languages including Right to Left ones. In this Age of Unicode, and Cocoa etc... there is no excuse not too, except to rip people off. Middle Eastern Just works out of the box in Apple Products (even iTunes)... So get cracking Adobe. Microsoft Office, is another major offender. This is an Issue that has pissed me off for ages
  • Reply 118 of 128
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I love how all the little kiddies are so knowledgeable about professional design. Pretty easy to pirate a copy, try it out for 15 minutes and then dismiss it as a piece of crap. After reading all the comments in this thread, it's pretty clear that having a rational discussion about CS5 or Adobe products of any flavor would be pretty much impossible here... sayonara whiners.

You're right.
  • Reply 119 of 128
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You're right.

Does that mean you are taking your flattened PSDs and storming off for home too?
  • Reply 120 of 128
    Quote:

I do feel your pain. It is the design aspects of Illustrator which I trumpet when the C-word is brought up from my superiors. I'm actually a member of a CorelDraw sucks group on facebook if that helps to make amends.

Your OK in my book now!

Quote:

Pretty much the same here except my 'mom and pops' are little sign companies and or manufacturers working with ancient PCs with ancient copies of Corel Draw...or worse....

Yup! Those are the same ones I'm ranting about!

Quote:

Enjoy a delicious German Hefeweizen for me.

Why Thank You! However, may I introduce you to Cologne's Sweet Water, known as "Kölsch"? Very mild, served in tall, skinny water-like glasses, and so delicious, that you're likely to drink a half dozen rather quickly. Then you know it's strong beer when ya stand up to go to the bathroom.