MWC: Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 Series

Comments

• Reply 361 of 450
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The problem is that you've just hawked an outdated piece of information. This lists the top 10 institutions and funds that hold Apple stock:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=AAPL

Even if they own some stock, it's not a large portion.

I was mistaken. Thanks for the correction. I like being wrong - it's a great way to learn new stuff.
  • Reply 362 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

It's based on WinCE but with the UI thrown out, so existing CE apps aren't compatible.

Got a cite for this outlandish claim?
  • Reply 363 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not sure that is true with Windows Phone 7 Series (WP7S, even the initialism is a mouthful). MS looks to be tightening up what the OEMs can and can't do. MS may not care about an LCD v. OLED display but that isn't exactly a make it or break deal.

I'm not even sure that MS will allow a slide out keyboard for WP7S after looking at the demo and I think it would behoove them to start with a specific design with only a couple OEMs to make the device as solid as the Zune.

As for choices, there is such a thing as too much choice. Take the Nexus One, for example, the iPhone sold more units in one day, on the 4th UK carrier than the Nexus One sold worldwide in a week. Yet the Nexus One is clearly a much faster device with a higher rez display. Choice is great, but having an understanding of your market that makes customers feel safe with your products is extremely important. Too much change and too many options simply aren't good business.

I have read from various news sources that MS is willing to allow for a slide-out keyboard, but not the full-body BB form-factor. And I believe that it was mentioned in passing during that 22 minute walkthrough video too.

Understanding the local market is exactly the point. Lets say the local OEM knows that certain form-factors sell really well in their market area. They'll have the freedom to create those form-factor with the WP7S OS. They'll all have the same minimal hardware bar to meet and the same software inside. If one model has a slide-out keyboard and the other is touchscreen only, then they've provided options for both segments of the market for the same OS experience. Apple unified software, with Android form-factor options.
  • Reply 364 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Got a cite for this outlandish claim?

Which part?
  • Reply 365 of 450
    Quote:

Which part?

it's based no WinCE.
  • Reply 366 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

If anyone is still on the fence about the new UI, I think short video pretty much sums up the experience in comparison to the iPhone:

http://gizmodo.com/5472235/windows-p...yline=true&s=i

The whole going into an app, then having to hit the Home button to go back -- rinse and repeat -- vs Microsoft's approach.

The video makes the point perfectly.

Does anyone else wonder how she doesn't get run over? Just walking down the street, listening to music, surfing her phone. Oh yeah she is getting hit.
  • Reply 367 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

it's based no WinCE.

You mean 'on WinCE' right?

http://www.google.com/

• Reply 368 of 450
    Quote:

You mean 'on WinCE' right?

http://www.google.com/

Yes. Sorry for the typo. Do you have an cite for your claim that it is based on WinCE?
  • Reply 369 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    no one knows if its based on CE unless you work on the Microsoft team that developed this new software because none have spoken on this.
  • Reply 370 of 450
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Typography is done a certain way for a reason. Having a consistent place to "return" the eyes for the next line aids quick readability, breaking it up disrupts that. This isn't something that people made up, it's been tested. You've yet to give a reason why it should be otherwise.

[CENTER]Yes, I certainly have explained my personal situation numerous times:

My use of center justification is,

"Before I retired from the USAF I had an accident involving a hydrazine tank explosion that seriously impaired my vision. I center my posts so that they're easier for me to identify in a sea of (otherwise) blurry scribbles."

It's the manner in which I 'work around' my disability with the 'tools' made available to me.

If this forum is not receptive to such situations, then please just say so by adding it to the official forum rules, and I will act accordingly.

Additionally: If you, or anyone else, find my posts 'allegedly' difficult to read, then the most reasonable thing to do is PM me so that I can explain, and/or utilize the forum's [IGNORE] list.

Posting these kinds of inquiries/interrogations within the body of a thread is what truly results in disruptions, not anything having to do with topography/text formatting.

Note: This is the last I will ever post relating to this matter in the public section.

It's Really That Simple.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 371 of 450
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

no one knows if its based on CE unless you work on the Microsoft team that developed this new software because none have spoken on this.

No one has spoken on the record. It has been commonly assumed and MS has not spoken out against this assumption (not that they have to).

Given the resources MS has poured into WinCE over the years and the leaked information about Chelan, it is a fairly safe assumption that Windows Phone 7 Series will be based on a version of WinCE. Engadget seems to believe it will be WinCE 6.0, whereas other think it will be called WinCE 7.0.

You are right, no one knows for sure, but it would be a gigantic change in direction for MS to opt for an entirely new kernel that would further balkanize their offerings. The fact that existing apps will have to be reworked for the new OS will be a big enough challenge for developers.
  • Reply 372 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

"Before I retired from the USAF I had an accident involving a hydrazine tank explosion that seriously impaired my vision. I center my posts so that they're easier for me to identify in a sea of (otherwise) blurry scribbles."

It's the manner in which I 'work around' my disability with the 'tools' made available to me.

I sympathize, but surely you are able to read left-justified posts somewhat well, for otherwise you would not be posting much at all!?
  • Reply 373 of 450
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

[CENTER]I center my posts so that they're easier for me to identify in a sea of (otherwise) blurry scribbles.

wouldn't the find function on your browser be just as fast, or faster, way to find your posts without being so exasperating to others?
  • Reply 374 of 450
    If that design makes sense to anyone else out here please explain it.

I would never buy a product that intentionally designed the screen with intent to FORCE me to swipe and scroll across a "page" that exceeds the size of my screen like that.

I was almost insulted at the way the glossies were positioned the phone across the real estate. Is this supposed to be enticing?

Completely erase in your mind WHO designed this and just look at how comical this UI design is. Laughable. This HAS to be a joke.
  • Reply 375 of 450
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rwheadon View Post

If that design makes sense to anyone else out here please explain it.

I would never buy a product that intentionally designed the screen with intent to FORCE me to swipe and scroll across a "page" that exceeds the size of my screen like that.

I was almost insulted at the way the glossies were positioned the phone across the real estate. Is this supposed to be enticing?

Completely erase in your mind WHO designed this and just look at how comical this UI design is. Laughable. This HAS to be a joke.

[CENTER]Think of it this way:

The TEXT in this GUI (much as it appears on the ZUNE HD) is made larger so as to represent information that is without boundaries i.e. endlessly expansive data/media/possibilities.

The text runs off on the screen in a manner that incites/invites the users to embark upon further exploration rather than feel confined/limited to whatever is currently displayed on the screen.

Makes Sense... Yes?[/CENTER]
  • Reply 376 of 450
    Quote:

[CENTER]Think of it this way:

The TEXT in this GUI (much as it appears on the ZUNE HD) is made larger so as to represent information that is without boundaries i.e. endlessly expansive data/media/possibilities.

The text runs off on the screen in a manner that incites/invites the users to embark upon further exploration rather than feel confined/limited to whatever is currently displayed on the screen.

Makes Sense... Yes?[/CENTER]

I personally think this is a pretty ingeneous way of displaying more information than a pocketable screen size allows. One wide band of all the information related to the subject (apps, pictures, messages, etc), divided up into screen-width chucks that's easy to read an manage.

It's an extension and improvement of what the Android home screen is right now. 3, 5, or even 7 screens side-by-side with all the information that you want. As you scroll to the left or right, you'll notice the background shifts slightly in that direction.

I've always figured MS had something up their sleeves when they used this style on the ZHD. Like you said, it makes me want to scroll in the direction the text is cut off in to see what's there when it becomes revealed.
  • Reply 377 of 450
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    have to wait and see how consumers actually respond to this WinMo 7 approach. is this "layers" UI approach optional? among many other things, can't tell yet how much users can customize it.

the popularity of the alternative Apple approach is proven however. you can load up your first-look home screen with 20 icons of anything you choose - apps, one touch phone number dialing, direct web page links. we all typically pick our most frequently used items, whatever category. and you can group stuff any way that makes sense to you on each of the other screens too.

moreover, some prefer the omnibus apps that aggregate multiple services' feeds into a single display. while others prefer the opposite, segregated apps that feature just one service but with more functions/depth. both approaches are valid, and there are iPhone apps for both. how those options work on WinMo 7 remains to be seen.

of course, both Google and MS want to sweep everyone into depending exclusively on their proprietary packages of cloud services. so they both will make those respectively uber-convenient to access as a single aggregated portal in their UI. whereas Apple has never really pushed MobileMe, and it is just a group of handy but non-essential logistical add-on apps with no social stuff at all. Apple is into media, not social. so they push you into iTunes instead. not the same.

so the head-on battle here really will be WinMo 7 vs. Android - cloud vs. cloud. both have varying strong zones and weak areas/omissions now. this will be interesting. bloodbath.

btw, given that Android is "free" and has a big head start, it is hard to envision how MS can charge more than a token amount - $1? - for WinMo 7 licenses.
  • Reply 378 of 450
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    The Wholesale Applications Community announced yesterday has to go down as the smartphone joke of the year. all the telcos are of course terrified of becoming nothing but "dumb pipes" losing all their lucrative over-priced mobile phone thingee sales. so they team up with the flailing Samsung and the failing Sony-Erricsson to create a new kind of app that they can still control/sell directly. yeah, sure, we need that!

missing of course are all the big guys with their own platforms/stores - Apple, RIM , Nokia, Google, MS. that must leave about - um - 5% of the market? or less ... i'm sure developers can't wait.

Samsung can afford this wild goose chase, but Sony can't. it's only a matter of time until the Sony-Erricson JV dissolves in a sea of red ink. and Samsung picks up the pieces?
  • Reply 379 of 450
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Wait you don't like spending $1 per wallpaper or ringtone? And paying to get pics off your phone? What a weirdo! Nah, Ma Bell knows what's best so sit down and shut up. And you'll like it, too. Oh and would you care to buy another $20 phone charger with a differently-shaped friggin' end of the cord so you can't use it in any other phone, including all of our own other models?

Yeah I'm excited, it certainly does look like in the long term carriers are headed in the direction of being a dumb pipe like an ISP. What they should have always been. Thanks Apple and Google!
  • Reply 380 of 450
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    It all comes down to execution. This could be a really nice product or a total dud. We'll have to wait and see.