Steve Jobs wins 'personality of the year' at Mobile World Congress

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Though Apple and its co-founder were not present at this week's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, Steve Jobs took top honors at the event, being named "Mobile Industry Personality of the Year."

The title was bestowed on Jobs despite his absence thanks to a vote of the attending media at this week's conference. It was a fitting close for the show, where Apple was not officially present, yet talk of the iPhone was said to remain a hot topic in the face of major competing announcements.

The GSMA Awards event was hosted by writer, actor, and self-proclaimed Apple fan Stephen Fry. Fry was also present at last month's iPad unveiling in San Francisco, where the humorist came away impressed with Apple's new device.

Winners were announced in 19 categories which included awards titled "Best Contribution to Social and Economic Development," the "Green Mobile Awards," "Mobile Innovation," and "Mobile Entertainment." Apple competitor Research in Motion took home "Best Mobile Enterprise Product or Service" for its BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0, while HTC won "Best Mobile Handset or Device" for its Android-powered HTC Hero.

"A remarkable 500 entries from across the global mobile ecosystem were submitted this year, all of an extremely high calibre, and the winners should be incredibly proud of their achievements," said Rob Conway, CEO and Member of the Board, GSMA. "The demand for new ways to use mobile technology continues to evolve and accelerate at a breathtaking speed, and it is genuinely inspiring to see such inventive thinking and exciting ideas showcased at Mobile World Congress."

Last year, Jobs was named "CEO of the Decade" by Fortune, for making Apple the most valuable company in Silicon Valley. Recognition for Jobs' performance came despite the fact that he was absent from work for health reasons in the first half of 2009.

This week's Mobile World Congress saw the introduction of a number of products that hope to take on Apple's iPhone. The most high-profile introduction was Microsoft's new Windows Phone 7 Series, a new multitouch-capable operating system from Apple's rival to the north.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Damn. And I had a tenner on Steve Ballmer.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Wow. A Personality award.

No hardware, no software, no innovation, no nothing...except personality.

I take this as a huge slap in the face to Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    HTC Hero best handset/mobile device. LMAO
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Yeah - Apparently these awards are disconnected from reality, eh?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    "Beware geeks bearing gifts."
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

No accounting for taste. \
  • Reply 7 of 22
    I think this award was all about his choice of a snazzy top hat in NYC.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    not by the attendees. different from the other awards announced.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

In this sense, "personality" is probably meant as "person" or "celebrity". Like, People magazine is all about famous personalities. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Steve Jobs' actual disposition (as I hear he's actually pretty standoffish). True, it was awarded to one individual and thus ignores the thousands of people him. But this was going to happen whomever the award was given to.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

YOU NEED TO CHANGE YOUR NAME FROM I-GENIUS to U-GENIUS....LOL

• Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Y.M.S.BUSHAN View Post

YOU NEED TO CHANGE YOUR NAME FROM I-GENIUS to U-GENIUS....LOL

• Reply 12 of 22

a crowd-lol
  • Reply 13 of 22
    He has a personality? Sometimes he comes across as too much Mao.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

I agree. Not sure he should take that as a compliment.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    They should have had Jobs accept the honors via smartphone. Missed opportunity there.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

They should have had Jobs accept the honors via smartphone. Missed opportunity there.

Go to gsmworld.com to see all the awards. GSM gave Apple no awards not even Jobs award.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Apple's mindshare in mobile computing is so huge that people talk about Apple whether they win awards or not.

Contrast that with Microsoft's mobile mindshare. Why do you think they named WinMob7 "Windows Phone 7 Series?" Certainly not because it sounds good. It's because Zune is such a total failure that Microsoft wants to avoid associating anything new with it.

Windows 7 has done well in the market recently (because Vista was so terrible and XP is so ancient) that Microsoft would rather associate their smartphone effort with 7 than Zune. So Microsoft put "Windows" and "7" in the official marketing name for WinMob7.

"Zune Phone" is catchier, but "Zune" has become a pejorative. Zune = Fail. Zuned = Failed.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No accounting for taste. \

Well of course the Apple-flavored Kool Aid that you've been having would affect how you taste things.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Because very similar reiterations of the iPhone should've won three years in a row.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Well of course the Apple-flavored Kool Aid that you've been having would affect how you taste things.

Lol.

I really dont read the forums in AI that much, seems that there are a lot of Anglry Windoze trolls trolling around in their sad little way. In an Apple site. Dedicated to Apple products.

im the exact opposite, I dont like the Palm Pre so not a hint of me to be seen at www.palmpreforum.org.

Call that sanity, if you will. Or being normal.

dont know what to make of these muppets though.