Apple SDK simulator offers closer look at Safari for iPad

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Though Apple's undercooked Safari Web browser remains hidden in the latest beta of the iPhone OS 3.2 software development kit, it can be still be accessed and used, and AppleInsider offers a sneak peek.

Those familiar with the iPad simulator say that its version of mobile Safari in iPhone OS 3.2 SDK is not readily accessible, but can be opened in a roundabout way. The iPad browser should be instantly familiar to anyone who has spent time browsing the Web on the iPhone or iPod touch.

Though the software has some issues and is not yet ready to be officially accessible to developers through the iPad simulator, it can still be used to browse the Web and access popular sites. It also offers a glimpse of how users will interact with the iPad when it ships in late March.

Like on the iPhone, users will have the ability to add bookmark icons to the home screen of the iPad. These will offer direct links to specific Web sites through Safari. The browser also features a drop-down bookmarks menu that looks similar to the one on the iPhone.

Typing into the search box creates a pop-up of as many as 10 suggested searches through Google. The default engine can also be changed to Yahoo, which also provides its own suggestions. Names and passwords can also be saved and automatically filled in online forms.

Of course, Adobe Flash content does not load, as Safari simply displays as a blank space on the page. The SDK also includes a debug console that will help developers fix potential iPad compatibility errors on their Web site.

Choosing between multiple tabs opens up a full-screen display with a black background. Open pages can be selected or closed from this view.

A select few had the opportunity to test out Safari and iPhone OS 3.2 on the iPad at Apple's unveiling of the device in late January. It was there that AppleInsider spent time with Safari, along with the mail and calendar apps, and keyboard, VGA and camera accessories. For more in-depth coverage, read the exclusive hands-on with pictures and videos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I really wish they'd add the ability to search a page for keywords like desktop browsers. That always bugged me about MobileSafari.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    I fully intend to get an iPad, but I won't be using the web browser on it very much at all.

The reason is that despite what Jobs said about it being the "full" internet, it will still be hobbled by the fact that it won't support plug-ins. I don't care about Flash, but the Internet without Ad blocking is hardly even usable. At least it's so incredibly distasteful that I won't be able to force myself to use it much.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I fully intend to get an iPad, but I won't be using the web browser on it very much at all.

The reason is that despite what Jobs said about it being the "full" internet, it will still be hobbled by the fact that it won't support plug-ins. I don't care about Flash, but the Internet without Ad blocking is hardly even usable. At least it's so incredibly distasteful that I won't be able to force myself to use it much.

You'll change your mind within one week of getting the iPad.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Beta 2 of the iPad Simulator has a blank white Safari button on the dock of the home screen.

I've been using it to optimize our iPulpFiction.com site and prepare our mobile stories for reading on the iPad (They already are accessible from many smart phones using modern browsers such as the iPhone, PalmPre, Android OS and new Blackberry models.)

The iBookstore has been pretty much ignoring smaller publisher like us, but since we are web-based anyway, we access the iPad market immediately through Safari.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

You'll change your mind within one week of getting the iPad.

Nah, I don't browse much on my iPhone as it is. I use dedicated apps and probably will continue to do so.

Also, most of my browsing is done at home or at work on one of my desktop computers.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though Apple's undercooked Safari Web browser remains hidden in the latest beta of the iPhone OS 3.2 software development kit, it can be still be accessed and used, and AppleInsider offers an exclusive look.

Not really exclusive. 9to5mac has a better video that was posted a few hours ago. This seems kind of reactionary to me. The 9to5mac video was much longer and more informative. The bookmarks bar is one of the things not shown in this preview, which is only viewable, evidently, in landscape mode. Good stuff.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Nah, I don't browse much on my iPhone as it is. I use dedicated apps and probably will continue to do so.

Also, most of my browsing is done at home or at work on one of my desktop computers.

And this is a selling point for me, sit on the couch and watch tv while surfing the web, answering email etc., without having to have a laptop on the table or on my .. well lap. It's getting old hearing M$ fanboys say "I use my laptop for that". It's the only argument they can come up with (?) and it's a terrible one. The point is it's NOT a laptop. Oh well I will get mine and will enjoy it and find it useful, that's all that really matters when you spend money on things because you want or need them.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    That's all kinds of awesome. Can't wait to pick one up.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

I use adblock on my phone, It's super useful on the laggy AT&T network. Jailbreak baby!

Sheldon
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Lol, I made an app that praised Apple and they rejected it because of copyright infringement.

(from www.applerejectedme.com) (I am not affiliated in any way, just thought it was good for a laugh.)
  • Reply 11 of 19
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]Hmmm?

There doesn't appear to be anything truly new/innovative going on here, just more of the same.

I guess we'll see the real 'magic' in a few weeks... \[/CENTER]
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xero910 View Post

I really wish they'd add the ability to search a page for keywords like desktop browsers. That always bugged me about MobileSafari.

@Xero910 Have you tried Bookmarklets? Check out this link: http://www.lifeclever.com/17-powerfu...r-your-iphone/

I created a special folder for all my iphone bookmarklets, works great for me.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Quote:

And this is a selling point for me, sit on the couch and watch tv while surfing the web, answering email etc., without having to have a laptop on the table or on my .. well lap. It's getting old hearing M$ fanboys say "I use my laptop for that". It's the only argument they can come up with (?) and it's a terrible one. The point is it's NOT a laptop. Oh well I will get mine and will enjoy it and find it useful, that's all that really matters when you spend money on things because you want or need them.

I'd have to go with Gazoobee. Stay on the couch if you like. I prefer being in my Freedom Chair with its headrest and armrests, sitting in front of a high resolution 30" LCD, with TV playing on a separate 24" LCD via EyeTV, doing what you mentioned with not only all those apps at my fingertips but all open at the same time so I can switch in an instant or use Exposé, plus working on various projects for work, my own clients and hobbies at the same time. I wouldn't be satisfied being a semi-multitasking couch potato with a small screen and no real keyboard for fast touch-typing.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xero910 View Post

I agree?much needed on long pages.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by volvoturbo View Post

@Xero910 Have you tried Bookmarklets? Check out this link: http://www.lifeclever.com/17-powerfu...r-your-iphone/

Meanwhile?thanks! I hadn?t thought to look for a simple bookmarklet. With the iPad?s bookmark bar that wouldn?t be too bad at all.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I'd have to go with Gazoobee. Stay on the couch if you like. I prefer being in my Freedom Chair with its headrest and armrests, sitting in front of a high resolution 30" LCD, with TV playing on a separate 24" LCD via EyeTV, doing what you mentioned with not only all those apps at my fingertips but all open at the same time so I can switch in an instant or use Exposé, plus working on various projects for work, my own clients and hobbies at the same time. I wouldn't be satisfied being a semi-multitasking couch potato with a small screen and no real keyboard for fast touch-typing.

I like that kind of stuck-in-one-seat super-multitasking. You and I are among the tiny fraction of the world who would do such a thing

But I also like freedom in my LIFE. I like to go wherever I want in my house?and an iPad will serve me well!

The rest of the world? They don?t care about having one big command center.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by volvoturbo View Post

Great tip here. I can't believe I hadn't heard of this before.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

?command center.

"Command center? It's a basement." John McClane to The Warlock -Live Free Or Die Hard

• Reply 18 of 19
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Sounds lonely. I like sitting in front of the tv with the rest of the family and being able to look up a few things. Can't wait for the iPad. Looks more friendly
  • Reply 19 of 19
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Er, perhaps giving credit to the guy who posted the video on 9to5Mac that this article aims to take credit for, would be appropriate...?

And if you're going to copy, at least mention the Bookmarks Bar, a Safari feature that we didn't previously know about until that video was posted yesterday.