HP plans to beat Apple iPad price, Microsoft Courier still in works

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's iPad announcement has not deterred PC competitors, as HP's forthcoming 3G-enabled "slate PC" will reportedly be competitively priced, and Microsoft is still working on its unannounced Courier dual-screen tablet.

According to The Wall Street Journal, executives from HP intend to "tweak prices and features" soon on its upcoming Slate, which will offer a 3G data connection. The company had already intended to price their hardware below the starting $629 price for the 16GB 3G iPad, sources said.

The report also cited people familiar with Microsoft's dual-screen, touchscreen tablet, dubbed the Courier, in stating that the Redmond, Wash., software giant has a "secretive team" working on the unannounced device. Renders of the Courier leaked last September, showing a device with two color screens that folded together like a book.

"Although early designs leaked onto blogs last year, it's unclear whether the company will introduce the gadget," the report said.

The Journal said other manufacturers -- including Dell, Acer and Sony -- all have their eyes on Apple's impending iPad launch, set for the end of March, to decide how they might respond. The iPad has single handedly brought buzz to the concept of the tablet PC, which has been around for years but failed to generate significant sales for hardware makers.

"PC companies are eager for a piece of any tablet market that emerges," the report said. "With profit margins dwindling due to ongoing price wars, PC makers hope new touch-screen devices will sell for higher prices than mini-computers like netbooks, which have comparable components."

Weeks before the iPad was unveiled, Microsoft and HP partnered to tout the forthcoming HP Slate at the Consumer Electronics Show in early January. The device has a multi-touch screen and has instant-on capabilities. It was demonstrated running Windows 7 and being used for tasks such as reading novels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iPad announcement has not deterred PC competitors, as HP's forthcoming 3G-enabled "slate PC" will reportedly be competitively priced, and Microsoft is still working on its unannounced Courier dual-screen tablet.

According to The Wall Street Journal, executives from HP intend to "tweak prices and features" soon on its upcoming Slate, which will offer a 3G data connection. The company had already intended to price their hardware below the starting $629 price for the 16GB 3G iPad, sources said.

The report also cited people familiar with Microsoft's dual-screen, touchscreen tablet, dubbed the Courier, in stating that the Redmond, Wash., software giant has a "secretive team" working on the unannounced device. Renders of the Courier leaked last September, showing a device with two color screens that folded together like a book.

"Although early designs leaked onto blogs last year, it's unclear whether the company will introduce the gadget," the report said.

The Journal said other manufacturers -- including Dell, Acer and Sony -- all have their eyes on Apple's impending iPad launch, set for the end of March, to decide how they might respond. The iPad has single handedly brought buzz to the concept of the tablet PC, which has been around for years but failed to generate significant sales for hardware makers.

"PC companies are eager for a piece of any tablet market that emerges," the report said. "With profit margins dwindling due to ongoing price wars, PC makers hope new touch-screen devices will sell for higher prices than mini-computers like netbooks, which have comparable components."

Weeks before the iPad was unveiled, Microsoft and HP partnered to tout the forthcoming HP Slate at the Consumer Electronics Show in early January. The device has a multi-touch screen and has instant-on capabilities. It was demonstrated running Windows 7 and being used for tasks such as reading novels.

kindles being given away for free and now this? the ipad will be a huge success
  • Reply 2 of 140
    "PC companies are eager for a piece of any tablet market that emerges,"

I think that's supposed to read "...that Apple creates"
  • Reply 3 of 140
    Even with all of the power behind existing and forthcoming tablets from companies other than Apple and their lower prices, the iPad still has the potential to surpass its competitors. I think it's safe to say that most, if not all of the issues plaguing the iPad today (no Flash, no camera, high prices, low memory, etc.) will be taken care of completely or to a large extent within the next few years. That said, what potential can be seen with all of these other companies that may be on the same level as the iPad? I don't think any. Applications, it's iTunes and App stores, hype, simply being Apple - these are factors that are going to keep Apple ahead of the game in the tablet market for the forseeable future.

iPad news and updates:

http://iPadLot.com
  • Reply 4 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

"PC companies are eager for a piece of any tablet market that emerges,"

I think that's supposed to read "...that Apple creates"

Very well said.
  • Reply 5 of 140
    LOL HP et all know that they can't compete and never will be able to. Itunes is the gold in the ipad's success. Seems like Steve realized that any tablet is just a tablet and the thing that makes a tablet really work is the software and media ecosystem it lives in. (MMMM thousands of awesome apps we are all drooling already) Hmm somebody studied evolution and Biology. LOL No one can compete with Itunes at this point; most are still trying to compete with the device itself and/ or the pricing.
  • Reply 6 of 140
    Rumor has it that Play Skool has annouced the kidPad that will only cost $29. It does not really do anything. Pundits predict that it will sell millions simply because it is cheaper than an iPad and not an Apple product.
  • Reply 7 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

LOL HP et all know that they can't compete and never will be able to. Itunes is the gold in the ipad's success. Seems like Steve realized that any tablet is just a tablet and the thing that makes a tablet really work is the software and media ecosystem it lives in. (MMMM thousands of awesome apps we are all drooling already) Hmm somebody studied evolution and Biology. LOL No one can compete with Itunes at this point; most are still trying to compete with the device itself and/ or the pricing.

ditto...nicely stated
  • Reply 8 of 140
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Quote:

"With profit margins dwindling due to ongoing price wars, PC makers hope new touch-screen devices will sell for higher prices than mini-computers like netbooks, which have comparable components."

Smart HP. Hoping for higher margins we will lower prices. If anyone challenges us in this (soon to be) highly competitive market we will lower our prices again.

My guess is that that the iPad will be more expensive but offer a superior experience. Status Quo.
  • Reply 9 of 140
    bawbaw Posts: 12member

Couldn't agree with you more. It has become kind of sad to see once-great innovators like HP adopt this kind of Microsoft-like strategy based almost entirely on imitation. It IS the ecosystem that makes all the difference, and the companies that just try to build cheap iPad lookalikes will not do well. They will fool a lot of people into buying a cheap knockoff, but the rest of us will actually be enjoying all of the superior benefits of the iPad. As Mark Twain once said, "The public is the only critic whose judgment is worth anything at all." I think once the "public" gets their hands on the iPad the attempts by other companies to compete are going to be a little comical. I want Apple to have strong competitors that keep them on their toes but the reactions of companies like Microsoft and HP to the iPad show that so far they just-don't-get-it.
  • Reply 10 of 140
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    A wrinkled laundry list of features long enough to fill almost 18 seconds!

Who wants to guess Maya and green screen?
  • Reply 11 of 140
    As was proven by the iPod, iPhone, and the iMac, pricing has always been secondary.
  • Reply 12 of 140
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

My guess is that that the iPad will be more expensive but offer a superior experience. Status Quo.

So do you predict Mac-like market share as well?
  • Reply 13 of 140
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    A tablet running Windows 7 is alone enough of a reason why I will not buy one. And for full disclosure, I'm running Windows 7 - in a virtual machine on my i7 iMac.
  • Reply 14 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BAW View Post

It IS the ecosystem that makes all the difference,

I agree. That is why Apple chose to make the 'Pad an oversized touch - the touch has an existing ecosystem.

And that is also why so few folks choose Macs - the ecosystem just isn't there.
  • Reply 15 of 140
    The biggest problem facing the WinPad is getting the shoehorned version of Windows it will run to perform adequately on the lighter duty processors. The second is getting the UI for this form factor right, which Microsoft has proven itself to be uniquely inept at doing after several tries now. The third is Apple's signal that they are prepared to be aggressive on price with the iPad.
  • Reply 16 of 140
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

So do you predict Mac-like market share as well?

No, more like the iPod Touch share.

Do you consider company X selling millions of low-end, cheap knockoffs, with barely a profit being made to be more successful than company Y selling less but making more money than company X?
  • Reply 17 of 140
    And the sheep follow.
  • Reply 18 of 140
    If MSFT releases this as-is, using a dual screen "book" like feature, it's going to massively fail. It is going to be more expensive to produce, requires more power thus will be heavier and users turning in couriers broken in half at the hinge.

• Reply 19 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The biggest problem facing the WinPad is getting the shoehorned version of Windows it will run to perform adequately on the lighter duty processors. The second is getting the UI for this form factor right, which Microsoft has proven itself to be uniquely inept at doing after several tries now. The third is Apple's signal that they are prepared to be aggressive on price with the iPad.

Yep. I'm taking a skeptical view of Win7 tablets too. I would expect that the Android tablets will be the best ones for a long while, but my crystal ball has never been reliable.

At any rate, it will be a great year for gadgets.
  • Reply 20 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

No, more like the iPod Touch share.

Do you consider company X selling millions of low-end, cheap knockoffs, with barely a profit being made to be more successful than company Y selling less but making more money than company X?

It depends on your defininition of "more successful". I have little desire to banter about the definitions of words.