Steve Jobs calls Flash a 'CPU hog' in meeting with WSJ - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 291
    You know Jobs tends to complain like this just before a "solution" (product) announcement.
  • Reply 22 of 291
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

I certainly hope not. Given the recent issues with Cloud Computing and server failures, I do not want my personal stuff sitting on some server in some country. I want it on my computer.

It can be on both easily enough, all my work is now and has been for quite a while. This includes high definition video productions as well as document type work such as client proposals and quotes etc..
  • Reply 23 of 291
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Sure it's a CPU hog when it's running on the underpowered devices like the iPhone, iPod Touch and the mere 1 Ghz iPad which Flash wasn't designed to run on.

Flash was designed with the increase of processor performance on computers in mind, not these underpowered hand held devices.

It's a hog on any Macintosh desktop computer I've ever used.
  • Reply 24 of 291
    Quote:

except that HTML 5 standards are not set, and are not expected to be finalized for many years to come. In the meantime then, theoretically there can be different implementations which forces companies like Apple and Microsoft and others to write code to handle it al.

Thing is, Flash has never crashed my Mac when I run Firefox, but Safari crashes frequently. YMMV, but one has to wonder where the issue lies.

it crashes my firefox badly. On my PC at work too.
  • Reply 25 of 291
    We get video sent to us from our manufacturers. For the last few years its been in Flash format but lately that's all changed and it's mainly H.264. In fact we've had to change our website accordingly as we can't get flash format anymore.

This video then gets viewed by the normal everyday folk.

So perhaps a lot of what Jobs is allegedly saying is resonating with the corporations that produce the content in the first place.
  • Reply 26 of 291
    Well just about all news media is about hyperbole now so I'm sure SJ was "furious" by their definition.

As for the WSJ dropping flash, I'm all for every site in the universe dropping it. I no longer use it and don't visit any sites which depend on its use.
  • Reply 27 of 291
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Sure it's a CPU hog when it's running on the underpowered devices like the iPhone, iPod Touch and the mere 1 Ghz iPad which Flash wasn't designed to run on.

Good point but Flash as it exists today, as part of a web page or completely encompassing the entire web site (dumb) is clearly not designed to be used on a touch screen device.

Developers need to custom design web pages for each device/browser just like the old days. Sniff the user agent and switch styles, video formats, layout, etc. And don't expect the requirements to be the same for the iPad and iPhone either. You will need two different presentations due to the difference in screen dimensions. A lot of extra work for developers and an overwhelming if not impossible task for smaller organizations.

But Steve is right about trying to keep it off the mobile platform as it would certainly degrade the experience. Too many Flash 'designers' are not programmers and their product often makes the end user suffer due to the lack of proper optimization.
  • Reply 28 of 291
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Flash was designed with the increase of processor performance on computers in mind, not these underpowered hand held devices.

i recommended a friend to buy a macbook a few weeks ago. he did.

nothing but complaints since. it hangs, spinning ball, he has to restart many times a day.

i narrowed the problem down to "it happens when i'm on the web"; i noticed that he likes to spend time on youtube, and that he opens multiple tabs in safari.

i installed clicktoflash 4 days ago, all problems gone, he's delighted.

from someone who was complaining and ready to return the device he is now someone recommending others to buy an apple computer.

this has nothing to do with underpowered handhelds.
  • Reply 29 of 291
    Quote:

Thing is, Flash has never crashed my Mac when I run Firefox, but Safari crashes frequently. YMMV, but one has to wonder where the issue lies.

According to security types, Safari is a recipe for trouble, adding the insecure Flash to that makes things worse.

Quote:

"...the Safari Web browser also has a lousy reputation in the security community--it almost seems a child's play to locate an exploitable condition in Safari.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10444561-245.html

I use Firefox on my Mac, have NoScript and Betterprivacy installed to take care of Flash issues.
  • Reply 30 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Sounds like iSteve needs some therapy.

Why? Because he doesn't want a 20 year old piece of shit software vampiring the battery life from the devices he's trying to promote?

Flash was not designed for portable devices. It has a bandaid on it to work on portable devices, but otherwise sucks up the same energy as a desktop computer.

Adobe could have rewritten it from scratch, but they sat on their asses like most companies do that don't have any competition. Well, now they do and they're panicking because it's too late.

Flash is RealPlayer. Bye Bye.

Next time pick a handle that fits you.
  • Reply 31 of 291
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

The internet needs open standards, the rendering engines that can blaze through HTML5 will elevate the web browsing experience. Flash:RIP.

The Ajax movement is just the tip of the iceberg. Once the whole HTML5/CSS/Javascript format gets into full swing your CPU usage is likely to be just as much as Flash requires today.

For example, open up your activity monitor and watch the CPU spike when you open Google's web pages. The amount of code on those pages is enormous. In the case of Google their code is highly compressed and optimized. But put that same technology in the hands average web designers and poorly written javascript has the same potential to cripple your computer that users are criticizing Flash for today.
  • Reply 32 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

My only little criticism of Jobs' Adobe bashing is when he calls Adobe "lazy." It is understandable that he would use that characterization, but that kind of statement makes it sound like Adobe employees spend all their time on Facebook. The real issue is that people in Adobe management choose to allocate resources in a way that results in Flash performing poorly -- that is, they choose not to spend resources on making it the best product it can be. That's not so much "lazy" as it is "bad management".

[edited for grammar failures]

So do YOU know how Adobe employees spend their time? Not for nothing, but it doesn't seem like you're in any position to disagree with Jobs', unless you know something.

Reallocating resources is one thing, but when you've had a half a decade to get on board, well, how can you NOT agree with Jobs. Adobe has had plenty of time to bring their plug-in, not flagship, enterprise grade product, but PLUG-IN up to snuff. They haven't. And haven't done much in the way of the Windows platform either.

The current beta, yes, still beta, is only now getting GPU acceleration. Quite frankly, Adobe has long only cared about holding their monopoly, rather than releasing innovative products and securing their position rightfully through excellent products and top notch user experience.

Many of their products are decrepit and aging. They had to buy out Macromedia to avoid competing with them. A shame. Their is nothing in their last 5 year history (or very much before that) that shows how progressive and truly high functioning they really are. Update cycles of 2 years and with little to show for it at the end of day make most reluctant Adobe users, not happy ones...
  • Reply 33 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

i recommended a friend to buy a macbook a few weeks ago. he did.

nothing but complaints since. it hangs, spinning ball, he has to restart many times a day.

i narrowed the problem down to "it happens when i'm on the web"; i noticed that he likes to spend time on youtube, and that he opens multiple tabs in safari.

i installed clicktoflash 4 days ago, all problems gone, he's delighted.

from someone who was complaining and ready to return the device he is now someone recommending others to buy an apple computer.

this has nothing to do with underpowered handhelds.

So all you did was stop the auto-loading of multiple tabbed YouTube videos in Safari so only one loads at a time with ClicktoFlash.

If he's getting a colored beachball and has to restart, it's a software problem as the OS or program is hanging and requires a backup, wipe and zero and reinstall of the OS and latest Flash version.
  • Reply 34 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Why? Because he doesn't want a 20 year old piece of shit software vampiring the battery life from the devices he's trying to promote?

Flash was not designed for portable devices. It has a bandaid on it to work on portable devices, but otherwise sucks up the same energy as a desktop computer.

Adobe could have rewritten it from scratch, but they sat on their asses like most companies do that don't have any competition. Well, now they do and they're panicking because it's too late.

Flash is RealPlayer. Bye Bye.

Next time pick a handle that fits you.

Dude. PRECISELY! I'm dumbfounded that so little people realize this. Nice to see another human being get what the deal is
  • Reply 35 of 291
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

it crashes my firefox badly. On my PC at work too.

Like I said, YMMV but the iMac at home that my daughter uses crashes when playing games using Safari, but they play just fine under Firefox. I have not had many problems on my MacPro so who knows.
  • Reply 36 of 291
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

Yeah, Safari, I quit using it long ago. Flash, I still use every day without problems.
  • Reply 37 of 291
    Quote:

It shouldn't take a modern multi-core desktop to render a web page.

Flash is the PowerPoint of the Internet. When I come across a Flash-filled page, my thought is "I don't care about your stupid intro, effects, or eye candy. Just show me the content."

The sooner Flash dies, the better.
  • Reply 38 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The funny part about this entire HTML5 and Adobe Flash issue is its a non issue for most users. Its only an issue for Safari users. The rest of the world could care less if HTML5 or Flash is used as long as their video works.

Jobs is the only one with the bug up his a$$ because Flash isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Wrong!

Flash really sucks! I have an iMac that I share with my wife and three kids! Most of the time we are all logged on and the _only_ time it gets bogged down is when one of my kids leaves a Flash based website up on their login (either Safari or Firefox)! All I do when I notice that its getting slow is login to my kids accounts and kill the Flash page and then the system returns to normal functionality!

I for one applaud Jobs stance on Flash! It's old technology that is buggy and a CPU pig!

KRR
  • Reply 39 of 291
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:

So all you did was stop the auto-loading of multiple tabbed YouTube videos in Safari so only one loads at a time with ClicktoFlash.

Sounds like he was choking his bandwidth, not a Flash issue.

comparing activity monitor's CPU info showed that it was flash and not bandwidth. bandwidth here is fine. same happend with single windows attempting to load one flash intro. device came to a standstill. hardly bandwidth either.
  • Reply 40 of 291
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Steve probably hates Flash because it makes Macs run like crap. We can assume Steve is a Mac user. He probably uses Safari. He probably surfs the web.

Thus, Steve probably notices the massive memory leaks and incomplete wipes that bring his Mac to a crawl. He has to restart his Mac because Flash sucks so much, blimping Safari up above 750MB of processor intensive Adobe blubber, wallowing in its own nasty digital shame.

If those engineers worked for Steve, he would fire them. This HTML5 effort is Steve's chosen way to solve this usability problem for everyone. He's trying to do his job... safeguard the user experience. He's a perfectionist. Certain aspects of the Mac are perfect. Flash is one of the biggest problems in the Mac system intergrity today. Steve is trying to kill it. Pretty simple.