HP plans to beat Apple iPad price, Microsoft Courier still in works

Comments

• Reply 61 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

Maybe you are right. But the iPad isn't a replacement for a computer! That is the big problem here. You still need a computer to exchange files with it and you can't do chatting/surfing the full web/ and dont have a webcam. These are things the most non-geeks are using their PCs for.

The iPad is for gadget lovers who have some money over. IMHO

If you want to exchange files with a computer, you will need a computer. What a revelation.
  • Reply 62 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Those are all opinion and bias ones at that. Blah, blah, blah...

It's funny how you think everything you say is fact, but any statement contrary to yours is unworthy opinion.
  • Reply 63 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

So do you predict Mac-like market share as well?

No, iPhone like market share. If you truly look at full touchscreen phones, that is.
  • Reply 64 of 140
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    the geeky guys here will never get it. they are addicted to fussing with their desktop OS, whichever one, and modding their hardware plus playing with lots of obscure shareware. they love complexity and think of it as "power" and "freedom." if they own an iPhone - probably not - it's jailbroken. living in the their own world, they cannot grasp the worth of something very different to the broad consumer population. when the iPad is a big hit - and it will be - they will blame "dumb" consumers for buying into Apple "hype."

no point in replying to their blindness. they can't see.
  • Reply 65 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

More GB is a bullet point that very few real people care about?especially since this isn?t a computer in the conventional sense.

I haven't found that to be true for most people I know.
  • Reply 66 of 140
    Quote:

It depends on your defininition of "more successful". I have little desire to banter about the definitions of words.

Before you proclaim yourself a "genius" and sound so pompous, you might want to learn and use correct punctuation. For someone who sounds anti-Apple you sound more arrogant than Apple fans are stereotyped to sound.
  • Reply 67 of 140
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

So do you predict Mac-like market share as well?

you need to change your handle to iFail....

Here, I don't even have to type a response - this post nails it: http://tii.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=579875
  • Reply 68 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

If Android based slates come to market with the same form factor, the same functionality and a more developed eco-system, the game changes entirely.

Your "more developed ecosystem" isn't a minor point. Android (or any other platform, for that matter) is no where near as successful in attracting developers as Apple, and just like with the iPod, the iPhone is eclipsed not by a competitor, but by Apple itself.

I don't believe that Steve was boasting idly when he stated that Apple will not let their competitors catch up. The iPad is the proverbial 16 ton block crushing a character in a cartoon.

Quote:

My prediction is that in the short term others will bring out slates that are lower priced but have inferior user experience. These will sell well on the back of the iPad but likewise, these will increase product category awareness and help re-inforce the iPad's strengths.

I dunno. Netbooks were not nearly as successful as the PC press and pundits like to make them out to be. Many people are soured on the experience, and are more likely to look at something like a Windows based tablet with more skepticism. Call it "fool me once..." I don't think they are going to get the grace period of exploratory sales like they did with netbooks - I think that trust has been blown. Also, if the rumors on pricing and profit are true on the iPad, Apple can play that game - and still blow them out of the water with a better experience. Period.

Quote:

I think the iPad will be a huge success. I think the slate market will become huge but I don't necessarily think Apple will own this market a few years down the line.

I do. What do you see in the Microsoft/HP announcement? Nothing experience based - every statement, every pitch is about features. It's a geek orgasm in a press release, but wholly uninspiring to normal people.

There are far more normal people than geeks.

Apple gets this. The rest of the industry can't seem to shake their slavish addiction to feature lists and until they do, I don't think they stand a chance of following Apple with where they are going with the iPad. The traditional computer market place is pretty saturated, and has been for a while. Apple is again skating to where the puck will be rather than where it is. By controlling the CPU, Apple now denies cloners the ability to slap some parts together and quickly follow them with similar performance tempered with marginal software. Now the best they will easily be able to do is inferior performance with marginal software - the gap will be much wider. As time goes on and Apple tunes their synergy of hardware and software, that gap will widen.
  • Reply 69 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

"PC companies are eager for a piece of any tablet market that emerges,"

I think that's supposed to read "...that Apple creates"

That and also that's the problem with some of these tech companies, instead of innovating and leading they are sitting on their butts and waiting to follow Apples lead and consumer demand. Easy to sit and wait then make adjustments after the fact and claim your "new" item is better. This is lazy development.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

...if not all of the issues plaguing the iPad today (no Flash, no camera, high prices, low memory, etc.) will be taken care of completely or to a large extent within the next few years...

Jobs has made it very clear he will never put Flash on the iPad (barring a huge shift in philosophy) he wants HTML5 to crush Flash. This iPad will have a camera, but only via external use - I agree they will add an internal cam in time, the price was originally expected to be $900-999, so $400+ is competitive and they said they may lower it if needed. I personally think the memory is acceptable, most netbooks avg about 32-64mg, of course it will increase in time

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

And the sheep follow.

And you are not a sheep how? You seem to hate Apple yet you take time out of your day to not only read Apple stories, but also to comment. So, Apple is in your mind - they got you thinking about them. You'll buy the HP slate, why cuz you're a sheep for MS? Or are you a 'troll' here? A sheep by any name is still a sheep nonetheless.
  • Reply 70 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

It's funny how you think everything you say is fact, but any statement contrary to yours is unworthy opinion.

Really when did I say everything I post is fact. I give alot of opinions.
  • Reply 71 of 140
    Quote:

Zune can compete. It may not have many apps and games at this point but the music subscription model and it's superior software are advantages.

Also a plus is the ability to stream full HD content (1080p) to the Xbox and a portable player to carry around HD content (720p) to play it everywhere as a cheaper BluRay player alternative. Another advantage is the good integration of a social network.

And yet it's still not making a significant penetration in the market. If the Zune was put out by Palm instead of MS with their deep pockets, it would have died long ago.

and why do you need the overhead of 720p resolution on anything under 12-14"? Actually I think anything under 20" is just simple posturing, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...
  • Reply 72 of 140
    Quote:

Maybe you are right. But the iPad isn't a replacement for a computer! That is the big problem here. You still need a computer to exchange files with it

No you don't. Dropbox? Mobile.me? That thing called the cloud?

Quote:

and you can't do chatting/surfing the full web/ and dont have a webcam.

Despite built in camera's in most of Apples laptops and desktops I encounter few people (myself included) who really care about video. And who's to say there won't be add-on camera's for those that really want them?

Quote:

These are things the most non-geeks are using their PCs for.

Most non-geeks do email, web browse and light file creation. The iPad will be more than able to handle that - and without a PC. Sure, right now it works better with one, but for my father he could use one out of the box. All his email is in the cloud, his files could easily be put there. He doesn't have an iTunes library so no problem there. He can swap files via email just fine... I don't anticipate him ever touching a traditional computer once he gets an iPad.

Quote:

I guess we'll see
  • Reply 73 of 140
    It was Henry Ford who said "You can build a reputation on what you're going to do"
  • Reply 74 of 140
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I'm still under the impression that nearly no Windows user want to use any simplified slate computing device.

And it appears that 99% (Literally!) of Windows users don't want a complicated slate/tablet device.

Engadget comments? Are you being serious?
  • Reply 75 of 140
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

HP makes a damn good tablet and at least its powerful enough to run a full OS, something you feel is a fault but the rest of the working world wants.

See above.
  • Reply 76 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

See above.

In general Tablets are not popular and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Tablets have been around for a while and they still only take up 2-4% of the market depending on what source you read.

With that being said having a Tablet with a fully functioning OS is not complicated its functional.

While one member here keeps putting down Windows based Tablets because they "just slap Windows" on any hardware that is all Apple did. They didn't create anything innovative they didn't create a new UI they simply slapped the iPhone OS on a bigger iPod Touch.

I beleive Apple needs to rename some of its devices. We will have the iPad, then the iPod Touch will now be the iPad Nano and the iPhone will be the iPad Nano with Voice.
  • Reply 77 of 140
    Quote:

Maybe you are right. But the iPad isn't a replacement for a computer! That is the big problem here. You still need a computer to exchange files with it and you can't do chatting/surfing the full web/ and dont have a webcam. These are things the most non-geeks are using their PCs for.

*sigh* can do chatting - there's an app for that: Skype client (and others)

Can exchange files wirelessly - again, multiple apps for that

(warning: informal and anecdotal survey results) webcam. I asked around my circle of friends, acquaintances and coworkers - webcam is a nice thing but hardly ever used. Your results may vary among a similar sample from your circles. And no these things are NOT, as you have claimed, what the average user uses their PC for. They are in almost unanimous agreement on order:

email

web-browsing (including social networking, games (usually Flash driven) and shopping)

media: music, photos, video

personal "research"

some work overflow (Office -driven content: text, presentation and spreadsheet)

that's it.
  • Reply 78 of 140
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

In general Tablets are not popular and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Tablets have been around for a while and they still only take up 2-4% of the market depending on what source you read.

With that being said having a Tablet with a fully functioning OS is not complicated its functional.

I'm guessing you're not seeing how those two ideas don't really jibe. If a "full" OS (which doesn't actually mean anything) on a tablet is actually not complicated and is functional, why haven't such tablets been more successful? Lightweight, convenient, functional, failure. Hmmm....

Quote:

While one member here keeps putting down Windows based Tablets because they "just slap Windows" on any hardware that is all Apple did. They didn't create anything innovative they didn't create a new UI they simply slapped the iPhone OS on a bigger iPod Touch.

Let's see: stick a desktop OS on a touch tablet, have poor sales, just keep doing that over and over. Versus develop a game changing, wildly popular touch OS, then adapt if for a larger form factor with things like pop-over menus, page turn animations and reveals, and bi-modal layouts based on rotation. Oh, and come out of the gate with a metric ass load of touch friendly apps that will run as is.

Yes, those are just the same. Apple is clearly doomed to follow in the footsteps of Windows tablets.

Quote:

I beleive Apple needs to rename some of its devices. We will have the iPad, then the iPod Touch will now be the iPad Nano and the iPhone will be the iPad Nano with Voice.

Um, yeah. Sure. Whatever.
  • Reply 79 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm guessing you're not seeing how those two ideas don't really jibe. If a "full" OS (which doesn't actually mean anything) on a tablet is actually not complicated and is functional, why haven't such tablets been more successful? Lightweight, convenient, functional, failure. Hmmm....

Let's see: stick a desktop OS on a touch tablet, have poor sales, just keep doing that over and over. Versus develop a game changing, wildly popular touch OS, then adapt if for a larger form factor with things like pop-over menus, page turn animations and reveals, and bi-modal layouts based on rotation. Oh, and come out of the gate with a metric ass load of touch friendly apps that will run as is.

Yes, those are just the same. Apple is clearly doomed to follow in the footsteps of Windows tablets.

Um, yeah. Sure. Whatever.

You are right the Apple tablet is clearly doomed. Glad to see we agree.
  • Reply 80 of 140
    Quote:

Again, the reason why tablets have not taken off is frankly the interface is awful, the devices are clunky, the battery life a joke. My doctor's office for example, has tablet style laptops the nurses all ignore the touch screen and type in the info - they really dislike the interface and the poor performance, but since the doctor's drive the equipment purchasing (and they even do mostly typing to enter info) and they are geeky - it just makes matters worse. THAT'S why they are almost dead in the marketplace.

And for the record, the iPad, if you even bothered to pay attention and not just regurgitate talking points, is not simply "a bigger iPod Touch". Homework time. Go back. Look at the hardware configuration, the new custom chipset (from their acquisition of PASemi) the higher density multitouch screen, the rework of the iWork package. The performance demonstrated in use during the presentation. It categorically isn't simply a larger Ipod Touch. You fail utterly in your geekiness to make such an inaccurate statement. That being said however, there are 75 million people who have already been trained to use the multitouch interface on their iPod Touches and iPhones and are ready to have a handheld device with a large bright screen and familiar interface that does the key things they want to do. BAM! The iPhone and iPod Touch simply were Apple's way of prepping the consumer market for the iPad and what comes after. The successes of these devices are merely icing on the cake.