Inside Apple's iPad: Multitasking

Comments

• Reply 241 of 285
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You think it's so easy to create a new paradigm from scratch yet only iPhone OS has a complete copy/paste setup. Not Android. Not WebOS. Not BB. Not WinMo.

If the developer who made the first 3rd-party app with copy/paste acknoledges the undertaking then why can't you?

Actually my older phones Sony ericsson P800 and P900 had copy paste and i begged apple to get the same functionality but make it even as good as on those old devices.

-call a phonenumber on a web page

-call a phonenumber from a number in calendar

-web links in documents etc.

These features werent in the 3G when it came out. But i think they were addred in 2.0. I could tolerate being without them for a while but if they wouldnt have added all that I honestly dont know if I would be an Iphone user as the calender for one sucked pretty badly. Im quite content now but this backgrounding is the only issue I have. Its not like I can do many tasks atonce on a small screen but as for where I live I dont have 3G coverage everywhere so data fetching can take minutes sometimes. It would be nice to make use of all the waiting. Cant blame me can you
  • Reply 242 of 285
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

Wow the last few post have actually had some merritt and substance ... Well done.

Now as for the idea of advanced features I'll take it one further.

Why not introduce a "pro" model?

This can have multitasking and all the extras people are screaming about.

The standard iPhone would have the same specs (maybe a little slower) but your average Joe user won't care. It's still an iPhone and does everything you want it too.

It would stop 90% of the infighting in these and similar forums.

Just an idea.

Im with you there!!!
  • Reply 243 of 285
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

SJ himself said they will implement multitasking when they get it right.

What the heck is taking them so long? Amateurs have already designed great methods to make it work.
  • Reply 244 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baron Munchausen View Post

I would have thought that multitasking needs the right UI mechanism. I would think this is the key issue torturing SJ.

People have gotten into the habit of just homing and presuming that the ex app has no impact.

I suppose we could see a scrollable dock along the lower edge replacing the 4 "usual suspects" we have now. Might be that this is where you drag your "blessed for concurrency" applications, or that after a divider are kept the blessed apps.

Maybe blessing is done the same way you move/delete. Keep finger on a badge, they jiggle and in the lower right corner is a place to touch to bless them for concurrent running. They then appear in the scrollable "usual suspects" dock along the bottom and a small triangle will appear under them if they are runn

Just my $0.02

That sounds great. But most folks assert that unless a feature is usable by morons, it has no place on Apple products.
  • Reply 245 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

iGenius, what were you just saying about personal attacks? You're obviously just trying trying to start an argument.... The original Google G1 phone was laughable, they inovated and did some interesting things Apple will do the same.

I attacked no person in this post.
  • Reply 246 of 285
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

I attacked no person in this post.

You attack people all the time. Two posts up you call the average consumer a moron. Of course, most of use don't ignore such elitist comments except to wonder why you even care about a device that isn't designed by geeks for geeks.
  • Reply 247 of 285
    Quote:

What the heck is taking them so long? Amateurs have already designed great methods to make it work.

No, no they haven't.
  • Reply 248 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

Wow the last few post have actually had some merritt and substance ... Well done.

Now as for the idea of advanced features I'll take it one further.

Why not introduce a "pro" model?

This can have multitasking and all the extras people are screaming about.

The standard iPhone would have the same specs (maybe a little slower) but your average Joe user won't care. It's still an iPhone and does everything you want it too.

It would stop 90% of the infighting in these and similar forums.

Just an idea.

Sounds good.
  • Reply 249 of 285
    Quote:

Sounds good.

It does sound good. Maybe a bifurcation of Apple products into "suitable for naive users" and "suitable for the rest of us" would be a good general strategy.
  • Reply 250 of 285
    Quote:

It does sound good. Maybe a bifurcation of Apple products into "suitable for naive users" and "suitable for the rest of us" would be a good general strategy.

1) Marketing anything as "suitable for naive users" is not a good marketing strategy.

2) The much larger piece of the pie are the naive users.

3) You can always jailbreak like me and many others did if you want anarchial multitasking.

4) Moat of think multitasking is coming, but most of don't think Apple is entitled to give it to us if it doesn't suit their business needs or that the method offered in other phones is ideal. You forget that the iPhone made smartphones popular or the average person.
  • Reply 251 of 285
    Quote:

1) Marketing anything as "suitable for naive users" is not a good marketing strategy.

Right. I was thinking that the regular line stuff would be intended for that audience. I am told that type of customer is Apple's bread and butter. (Before I started hanging out here, I was under the impression that Apple products were mostly suitable for advanced stuff, like video rendering. I have been set straight, however).

"2) The much larger piece of the pie are the naive users."

That's what I am told.
  • Reply 252 of 285
    Quote:

Right. I was thinking that the regular line stuff would be intended for that audience. I am told that type of customer is Apple's bread and butter. (Before I started hanging out here, I was under the impression that Apple products were mostly suitable for advanced stuff, like video rendering. I have been set straight, however).

They are not mutually exclusive.

My mother uses an iMac that oul very well be found high-end editing shops. TenoBell uses some very complex iPhone apps for work that are found in the same store that sells farts apps.
  • Reply 253 of 285
    Quote:

They are not mutually exclusive.

My mother uses an iMac that oul very well be found high-end editing shops. TenoBell uses some very complex iPhone apps for work that are found in the same store that sells farts apps.

Again we sort of agree - But why is Apple unable to provide the functionality in devices like the iPhone and iPad without a need for a "pro" line?

See, that's what's been bugging me since I bought my iPhone. I thought Apple was the king of the UI, who made products with advanced capabilities, but made them easy to use.

Now I see lots of arguments that advanced capabilities cannot be part of Apple's products, because too many of their customers would be flummoxed.

Hence my confusion.
  • Reply 254 of 285
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

but Apple has already taken a different approach - keep an older model in production at a lower sale price in addition to the current year model. currently, the 3G and the 3GS. all models, including the original 2G, can run OS 3.0. but it is very possible this year's new OS 4.0 will work only the new 2010 model (or the 3GS too but not the 3G/2G) which might also include new hardware capabilities, like RFID. Apple is saying, you want more power/options than that? get an iPad. want more than that? get a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

or i'd just say, you want to do more with your iPhone? then just jailbreak the darn thing. which is exactly what quite a few techie people do for this reason.

Apple is a consumer products company now, and their business strategy with model succession and compatibility is very obvious. they are not going to try to cater to techies. they are not going to follow the failing Sony model of offering an array of models topped by very high end products with souped up specs and endless bells and whistles for videophiles. Apple is not going to cater to smatphonophiles, sorry. they aim for the broadest common denominator instead.
  • Reply 255 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Apple is a consumer products company now, and their business strategy with model succession and compatibility is very obvious. they are not going to try to cater to techies.

Seemingly so.

Before I bought my iPhone, I didn't realize that Apple had changed. I thought Apple geeks were, well, geeks. Guys who wrote their own software. Guys who used huge rendering farms to crunch multi-terabytes into video frames. Guys who were ahead of the crowd, and not smack dab in the middle of it.

I guess I was wrong. Now everyone seems to be saying that "Billions and Billions [of fart apps] Served" is the current strategy.

I'm not sure why, but that seems sad to me.
  • Reply 256 of 285
    Quote:

Seemingly so.

Before I bought my iPhone, I didn't realize that Apple had changed. I thought Apple geeks were, well, geeks. Guys who wrote their own software. Guys who used huge rendering farms to crunch multi-terabytes into video frames. Guys who were ahead of the crowd, and not smack dab in the middle of it.

I guess I was wrong. Now everyone seems to be saying that "Billions and Billions [of fart apps] Served" is the current strategy.

I'm not sure why, but that seems sad to me.

It's this sort of follishness that makes people think your trolling. Especially your focus on fart apps. Which is odd since I'm sure you also want apps to be unregulated therefore making a few fun app for a younger crowd the least of the iPhone's worries.

The iPhone is a smartphone. The smartphone that made the smartphone market explode. The iPhone changed the game and became the apex device before it ever launched, it didn't land "smack dab in the middle of it." Check out Android prototypes before the iPhone launched, they were copying RiM.

What's funny is that is doesn't matter how much a poster, blogger or actual reporter lampoons the iPhone they will almost always compare any other device to it, which speaks volumes to it's success.

PS: Until Android's copy/paste is as good as the iPhone's, until the same speed HW can best the iPhone in actual performance (1GHz Nexus One gets owned by 600MHz 3GS), and until the multi-touch interface can track as well a the iPhone don't talk about who is "ahead of the crowd" because the answer is not Android. If this were 1985 you'd be calling the GUI and mouse a silly fad mpg suited for real users.
  • Reply 257 of 285
    How to multitask:

1. Shut up.

2. Think.

Stop complaining about those that don't and find something or make something that does. I don't complain to about my Lexus because it's not front wheel drive, or because it's doesn't handle like a Porsche. I'm not mad because it doesn't have two doors or because it can't haul as much as a pickup truck. You see, if I wanted a car that did all those things I would have gotten one. I wouldn't get a Lexus and then go on to a Porsche fan site and complain about how Porsche's have less power than a Corvette (even though they use it more efficiently than a corvette) and aren't as reliable as Accura (but they are). i Likewise don't complain that my car doesn't go to 60 in 4 secs. Why? because I research and research and research. I buy what fits my needs and I make compromises when it's a matter of NEED vs. WANT.

If you think about:

A. No usb.

Well,

1. USB was intended for deviced such as keyboards and mice.

2. Wireless USB has a realworld bandwidth of 150Mbs.

SO,

1. Bluetooth should replace USB for peripherals

2. Wireless N has a realworld bandwidth of 150Mbs (mimo)

WHATELSE GUYS?

OLED? Not Ready

Flash? Is Dead in 5

Multi-Task? Coming

Keyboard? Seriously? some ppl need to let go of the past

HDMI? Would have loved it, kinda, not really, I have my macbook hooked to VPL-AW15 via VGA 15' cable. Makes me wonder why anybody would by an ATV.

16:9? No biggy. I'll be reading far more than video watching, thats why i have a 50" tv dude.
  • Reply 258 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyzzy01 View Post

I've got a couple:
    • Skype. It's an integral part of my daily workflows and communications at work, and I also use it home.

• Spotify. We don't have pandora here, but we do have spotify

• (actually, any audio or radio app that isn't the ipod application)

Easy to add more scenarios, too:
    • Citrix or my Bloomberg Investor/Trader app where I WANT major security checks on program startup (and timeouts when inactive too long). But a PITA for a quick out-and-back, even if just to answer the phone.

• And every single app that you might want to pause while you ask Shazam to catch what you're hearing on a Plain Oldfashioned Radio.

• Reply 259 of 285
    I will reiterate.

Research research research.

Don't buy now and complain later. It doesn't do this, it doesn't do that.

Had you done the research you wouldn't be in the position you are now. You would have KNOWN you can't Skype and Spotify and Pandora while you're making a phone call. Of coarse the way you guys are using your PHONE you should get a macbook or wait for OS 4.0 and get an iPad.

The iPhone is not intended to be used as a computer. It is intended to be used for QUICK reference, CASUAL browsing, games, and mostly AAC loaded music. A little mail here and a text there. It seems as though the complaints are about things that were never promised to them in the first place.
  • Reply 260 of 285
    I want I want I want

This is whats available.

Take it or leave it.

It's a choice that's all yours.

I want all kinds of things too. So I go to work and I save my money. I research new products (and old stereo equip) and buy what I like. I might even give some constructive criticism and talk about how something could be "different" (also know on these boards as "BETTER" "because it's my idea", but alas just different).

The only different I can think of is:

An App that runs four apps. VERY similar to SPACES. (I understand the concepts are slightly different.)

I also think they could add the Menu bar. That would make turning things on and off easier, more mac like, but more simple. ie: prefs, wifi, 3g, spotlight all accessible from the home screen.