Hulu for Apple iPad likely to be a pay-only service - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I can't find 10 a month....Formula one, Some of the Winter Olympics, some of Pro Tennis...really can't think of anything else. Maybe Tosh.o

The rest is just so bad and the interminable adverts! Ahhhhhhhh!

Now Formula 1 is something that could be made really cool on the iPad. It would be great having touch controls to allow you to select the camera you want, pull up laptimes, information about the teams etc.

It won't happen of course, since it would take money to develop, and Bernie Ecclestone only likes to make money, not spend it, but I can dream!
  • Reply 22 of 137
    Newsflash - Hulu's been threatening to get a pay-model for the web too.

What - you only thought they'd charge 1-2 million iPad users (estimates for the first year) and be profitable? Oh - you did - oh I'm sorry ... I'm so so sorry. Here have a tissue.
  • Reply 23 of 137
    I'm no expert...but although Flash is ubiquitous I am reading that it is 'old technology, buggy and a resource hog.'

The argument that Apple is somehow wrong not to include it seems specious at best.

If that were the case, we all still be using IE5 or IE6 on our computers instead of Safari.

I think I will put my faith in Stevo and all the PHD's at Apple on this one!
  • Reply 24 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

This is yet another blow to iSteve's lie that the 'Pad is the best way to experience the 'web.

Do you really think Hulu is going be free on the web much longer. your tone is so accusatory, derogatory and juvenile, get a life. seriously how old are you? Unless your 16 I am going to be seriously disappointed once again in humanity.
  • Reply 25 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

I'm not sure how Hulu can start charging for something that they have already valued at zero.

I'm old enough to remember when TV was free. Now I pay for FIOS. And most channels have tons of ads. TBS, TNT, etc. They only get away with it because we agree to it.
  • Reply 26 of 137
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:

I think I will put my faith in Stevo and all the PHD's at Apple on this one!

Its wonderful that those guys are there to make our decisions for us. We are not competent to make them ourselves.
  • Reply 27 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I'm old enough to remember when TV was free. Now I pay for FIOS. And most channels have tons of ads. TBS, TNT, etc. They only get away with it because we agree to it.

....'tons of ads!' Agreed. I can't watch any movies on TV or NFL football anymore because of the 's**tload' of ads. I won't watch any video on the web, (WSJ, Time, etc.) that is preceded by a video ad, either.
  • Reply 28 of 137
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Hulu for free on a laptop/desktop or pay for it on the iPad? I think I'll stick with free.

Stunned.
  • Reply 29 of 137
    I'll pay to get the Hulu app, not a monthly fee, regardless what that fee might be. I hope they consider this option better, this way they can get money without screwing us for something I can watch in my computer free.

If I have to pay a monthly fee, it better be without commercials and HD included.
  • Reply 30 of 137
    Quote:

This is yet another blow to iSteve's lie that the 'Pad is the best way to experience the 'web.

Why is it a blow, maybe just saying here, the free service is not as good quality as paid service. I all for free, but I rather pay a fair amount for something, If i am getting quality service.

Since we do not know what the service will be like, let's not jump to conclusions.

Btw: You the one that said personal attacks have no place on this forum, stop attacking SJ.
  • Reply 31 of 137
    Quote:

Its wonderful that those guys are there to make our decisions for us. We are not competent to make them ourselves.

A bit dismissive....but I guess I have to agree with you. I'm certainly not 'competent' to make an iPhone or iPad!

To be quite honest, I'm not that impressed with Adobe recently. I'm not a PS 'power user,' but I do prefer PDFPEN and PDFShrink to Adobe Acrobat Professional!
  • Reply 32 of 137
    so let me get this straight...

RIGHT NOW I can go to Hulu's website and watch limited TV content for FREE on my laptop.

Yet, if I buy an iPad for the convenience that APPLE (not hulu) has afforded me, I have to PAY to view the very SAME limited TV content?????!!!!!?????

Can somebody say STUPID IDEA...

And don't start talking about "ads"

no one cares when they are there on your regular television. And nobody cares when they are watching Hulu right now FOR FREE.

Perhaps if a major cable company made ALL of their (and their subcontractors') content available on all devices and got rid of all ads, then perhaps people might live with a small fee.

However, for a free service to all of a sudden cost money not because of what they have done, but what APPLE has done is ridiculous. No one will buy it save a few suckers who got taken early.

On the iPad, content that is currently free should remain free. You should not have to take a hit just because you want to use a tablet instead of a laptop.

And if Jobs wants to kill Flash just so he can create a community of dollars for his company and their partners, well that is a shame. MS did that and it worked for a decade and a half until a competitor wised up and actually catered to the people rather than themselves. If Apple goes that route, it may not even be 10 years before another company comes up to teach them the same lesson.

the iPad should ENABLE people to interact with content at a more convenient level, not RESTRICT to a limited format and then bleed their wallets.

Sorry, just sounds like a bunch of junk. If that is the case, no iPad for me.
  • Reply 33 of 137
    Quote:

....'tons of ads!' Agreed. I can't watch any movies on TV or NFL football anymore because of the 's**tload' of ads. I won't watch any video on the web, (WSJ, Time, etc.) that is preceded by a video ad, either.

So, i guess you don't see the commercials on your TV...
  • Reply 34 of 137
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beakernx01 View Post

I hope this happens and that they take the technology to the AppleTV as well. I've tried a couple of the downloadable hacks that are supposed to upgrade your ATV to run Flash so I could watch Hulu, but couldn't get them to work. I would pay a modest monthly fee for Hulu, $20/month?, if it means I can ditch my HD cable subscription ($50+).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Me too. I think Hulu is good enough to be worth paying for, as long as when you pay the adverts go.

be careful what you wish for. If enough people stop paying for cable, just internet, they may have to raise internet prices to compensate for the loss.
  • Reply 35 of 137
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Btw: You the one that said personal attacks have no place on this forum, stop attacking SJ.

Huge difference. He's a public figure. I object to personal attacks on forum members, not on folks who parade in front of the media. They are fair game.

YMMV.
  • Reply 36 of 137
    Upon further review, I would consider a paid suscription to Hulu if it offered its entire back catalog of shows already on its site. The 5 most recent ones would have to still be free however. 5 bucks is a month is all I would pay though...
  • Reply 37 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

You really watch 10 TV shows a day?

I can't find 10 a week worth watching!

I'll see your week, and raise you a month. http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/1wink.gif

As long as we exclude sporting events from the list of 'shows'.

Live sporting events are the only reason I keep my Satelite subscription.
  • Reply 38 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

So, i guess you don't see the commercials on your TV...

Pretty much! I try to avoid watching TV. I prefer to sit down in the evening and watch a movie from iTunes or a recorded show/sports where I can 'zip' through the commercials! Although I kind of like the Danica Patrick/GoDaddy ads, for some reason. And the e-trade baby ads are good too!

• Reply 39 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER], yet I do believe that this was inevitable once they entered into talks with Cupertino.[/CENTER]

Oh fscking please ...

Hulu doesn't need to "enter in talks" with Apple. All they is need it make their content displayable in HTML5.

And you do realise that the subscription will kill the ads, don't you?
  • Reply 40 of 137
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Huge difference. He's a public figure. I object to personal attacks on forum members, not on folks who parade in front of the media. They are fair game.

Wrong. Both are bad for this forum. (except for extremely rare occasions)

But even if your "public figure" exception were true with regard to this forum, it would seem that all posters are "public figures". We're all posting our thoughts for the general public to read and respond to.

(Welcome to my ignore list)

As for subscription based hulu? Sign me up! I don't pay for cable but would pay for a streaming service.

I just can't bring myself to spend over $100/month for the pleasure of having to watch things at a particular time of day while meanwhile being subjected to programming with about 30% of the time devoted to advertisements. That's just ludicrous, paying to watch advertisements at particular time of day. Madness!