Hulu for Apple iPad likely to be a pay-only service - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

And don't start talking about "ads"

no one cares when they are there on your regular television. And nobody cares when they are watching Hulu right now FOR FREE.

No one cares?!

That's one of the reasons I bought a pvr. Other than sports, I record everything. That way I can skip through the moronic ads. People mention that they can't find 10 programs worth watching in a month... let's try that with ads and see how long it takes to find one worth watching.
  • Reply 42 of 137
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

This is yet another blow to iSteve's lie that the 'Pad is the best way to experience the 'web.

On a mission, much? You sound like the tabloid press on a vendetta. But you know, its hardly a 'lie' - more like an opinion.
  • Reply 43 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Hulu for free on a laptop/desktop or pay for it on the iPad? I think I'll stick with free.

You are assuming that Hulu on the web will remain free ? an assumption that I think might be premature.
  • Reply 44 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Its wonderful that those guys are there to make our decisions for us. We are not competent to make them ourselves.

You're not competent enough to even use a keyboard.
  • Reply 45 of 137
    They do the exact same thing that Hulu is talking about. Right now you can use your Sling Player for free via either an app or directly in your browser but if you want to get the Sling Player on your iPhone it's $30 and I'm pretty certain they don't have problems selling it.

Also, Hulu has been talking about going to subscription based for quite a while so it's not like the iPad/iPhone are going to be that different. They may start out charging for the creation of the app and porting their stuff to make it "i" compatible but, like I said, there are already companies that do that and make tons of money off it. For a 1 time fee I'd probably pay $30 or more to be honest. I paid $30 for the Sling Player mobile app and I'd probably get more use out of the Hulu app so that's probably fair. A monthly subscription tho - maybe $5-$10 but that's pushing it.
  • Reply 46 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I'm old enough to remember when TV was free.

I remember when free TV programming included "The Brady Bunch Variety Hour", "SuperTrain", and "Pink Lady and Jeff". Small wonder cable took off shortly afterwards.
  • Reply 47 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

And you do realise that the subscription will kill the ads, don't you?

And you do realize that statement is 100% BUNK!

Why do I say that... I pay my local cable company a monthly subscription to hop on and view the channels... I then have to pay another subscription to the likes of HBO or STARZ for so called "Premium" content commercial free!

So regarding your statement, that the subscription will kill the ads is not necessarily true! The subscription can be to cover operations' cost and the ads 'profitable income'!

Unless you have proof of legal documentation stating that being on a subscription plan will kill the ads, to which I will retract the whole "Bunk" commentary!
  • Reply 48 of 137
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Hulu for free on a laptop/desktop or pay for it on the iPad? I think I'll stick with free.

I guess you thought you made a cute, sarcastic reply, huh. And just how long do you think Hulu will continue to be free on a "laptop/desktop" once this happens? Hmmm?

Let's see, nobody wants to pay for ANY content online. And everybody installs ad blockers so they don't have to watch ANY advertisements on the "free" sites. What's wrong with this picture? Oh, yeah, the business model that precludes making any money on the content.

The "everything should be free on the internet" bozos didn't do very well in their Economics 101 classes I bet.
  • Reply 49 of 137
    Quote:

so let me get this straight...

RIGHT NOW I can go to Hulu's website and watch limited TV content for FREE on my laptop. Yet, if I buy an iPad for the convenience that APPLE (not hulu) has afforded me, I have to PAY to view the very SAME limited TV content?????!!!!!????? If that is the case, no iPad for me.

Lookout - this troll was going to get an iPad - but now won't - but because Hulu might charge for content on it. And I believe him too. He's so believable. You can actually almost believe that he was going to get an iPad until he heard he might not get Hulu for free. Yep. It's so believable.
  • Reply 50 of 137
    OK Chaps, gotta go get some work done! Enjoyed the conversation today and it's settled then....

....down with Ads, down with mindless TV programming and down with Flash!
  • Reply 51 of 137
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Well as Hulu are planning to start charging for its service full stop, then why is this news?

Flash is irrelevant to this discussion - why is that being bought up again. Standards aware, competent web sites should not be relying on proprietary plug-ins which trash standards. If Youtube, BBC iPlayer and most kids in bedrooms making sites can do it, then it's time for the big boys to play catch up.

Hulu is only available in the US anyway, so this is a non-story for the majority of Apple customers.
  • Reply 52 of 137
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

so let me get this straight...

RIGHT NOW I can go to Hulu's website and watch limited TV content for FREE on my laptop.

Yet, if I buy an iPad for the convenience that APPLE (not hulu) has afforded me, I have to PAY to view the very SAME limited TV content?????!!!!!?????

Do you honestly believe that hulu will always be free, supported solely by advertising revenue? And why do you assume that an iPad version would be identical to the current free version?

Throw in live streaming of new shows and sports and you basically have a replacement for cable. Once online services become good enough to replace cable, why shouldn't you pay for them? After all you wouldn't have a cable bill anymore (but internet costs would increase to an extent).

Once internet streaming reaches the point where it is like having a cable connection wherever you go with the added benefit of being able to watch old shows, unlimited time shifting and play/pause/rewind, I don't see why anyone who currently pays for cable wouldn't be willing to pay for that. Is that what hulu for the iPad would be? Probably not, but that is the direction things are going. Things don't have to be free just because they are on the internet. Products like the iPad do monetize certain markets. There are paid apps on the iPhone that are free on full fledged computers, but that isn't necessarily bad if these products can encourage more companies to embrace online distribution and provide better products as a result.
  • Reply 53 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I guess you thought you made a cute, sarcastic reply, huh. And just how long do you think Hulu will continue to be free on a "laptop/desktop" once this happens? Hmmm?

Not at all. As of right now, I don't pay money to watch Hulu. I also doubt that by the time the iPad is released Hulu will have a paid model. When they move to a paid model, I will revisit my original statement.
  • Reply 54 of 137
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

No, you won't. Hulu will be paid only for new content within the year. Mark it
  • Reply 55 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No, you won't. Hulu will be paid only for new content within the year. Mark it

Read my last post.
  • Reply 56 of 137
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Not at all. As of right now, I don't pay money to watch Hulu. I also doubt that by the time the iPad is released Hulu will have a paid model. When they move to a paid model, I will revisit my original statement.

Hulu probably won't be on the iPad at the time of the iPads release. If they do go to a paid model it would make sense to make that transition at the same time on the iPad and elsewhere, or even go to a paid model before it is available on the iPad.

They don't want you to pay for hulu on the iPad, they want you to pay for hulu. Don't lose sight of that.
  • Reply 57 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

FYI: Perhaps it's just me, but your "unique" formatting does make your posts stand out, but it also makes me skip over your posts entirely.

Except that you are reading them, and now you're replying....
  • Reply 58 of 137
    The important question will become, will Hulu offer the same business model for iPhone/iPad use, as they do for the computer. Will it be similar to iTunes, accessible from anywhere, but with a subscription/streaming model?
  • Reply 59 of 137
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

But you know, its hardly a 'lie' - more like an opinion.

Fair enough.
  • Reply 60 of 137
    I think you'll have to subscribe to a specific show, like iTunes, pay a flat fee upfront, and have access to streaming episodes from that season at any time from any device (PC/Mac, iDevice).