ITC to review Apple's patent infringement claims against Nokia

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As expected, the U.S. International Trade Commission has agreed to investigate Apple's complaint against handset maker Nokia over alleged patent infringement.

Apple's complaint with the ITC, filed in January, was made in response to Nokia's own ITC complaint in December. The two technology giants are currently engaged in a number of lawsuits accusing the other of violating their respective patents.

According to Bloomberg, the ITC formally agreed this week to review Apple's complaint, which has asked the commission to ban the import of all Nokia handsets.

Weeks ago, the trade agency also agreed to look into Nokia's complaint against Apple, in which the Finnish company requested halting the importation of iPhones, iPods and MacBooks. Nokia's ITC complaint accuses Apple of treading on seven distinct patents applying to user interface, camera, antenna and power management.

The battle first began in October, when Nokia sued Apple over the use of patented wireless standards. Nokia has alleged that the iPhone maker has infringed on GSM and wireless LAN related patents it owns.

Two months later, Apple countersued Nokia over its own patented technologies. Apple has alleged that Nokia has attempted to obtain more money from it than other companies, as well as rights to Apple's intellectual property.

It is the third ITC investigation the Apple is officially involved in. This week the ITC also announced it would look into camera maker Kodak's complaint against Apple, which alleges the iPhone infringes on patents the company owns related to previewing digital images. Handset maker Research in Motion and its line of Blackberries are also targeted in the suit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    LOL. Of course you all are over on the sexually explicit removal article chiming in there...

• Reply 2 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has alleged that Nokia has attempted to obtain more money from it than other companies, as well as rights to Apple's intellectual property.

This says it all... I don't care how many "units" Nokia sells, Apple is still handing Nokia its a$$ on a plate in just about every way that matters.

This is about Nokia being vengeful and greedy, and trying to leech off of Apple to cover up for their own inability to compete.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It will be interesting to see, when this gets through a court, how much technology a Finnish gumboot company stole in order to make the switch to phones.

http://www.nokianfootwear.fi/eng/our_story/

At least they no longer pulp forests for newsprint.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

how much technology a Finnish gumboot company stole in order to make the switch to phones.

And the fact that the company is Finnish is relevant exactly how?
  • Reply 5 of 45
    So you are saying Nokia is not a Finnish company, established in Finland ex-pulper of forests and maker of shoes?

So where did they come from then?

The moon perhaps?

What is the relevance of your questioning this?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobrik View Post

And the fact that the company is Finnish is relevant exactly how?

• Reply 6 of 45
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

It will be interesting to see, when this gets through a court, how much technology a Finnish gumboot company stole in order to make the switch to phones.

At least they no longer pulp forests for newsprint.

What is the point of mentioning the race, or the country of the company in question and not actually making a valid point with it, why are you not making an insult to the American side of the equation? Maybe you are too busy killing Kangaroos and making them into cat food?
  • Reply 7 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

What is the point of mentioning the race, or the country of the company in question and not actually making a valid point with it

It's because Nokia is trying to stop the imports to America, where infact Nokia sells only a few phones and doesn't even reside. They aren't trying to gain anything, just hurt Apple.

Quote:

why are you not making an insult to the American side of the equation?

Because normal American stereotypes do not work on Apple. You can't call a company fat, because that makes no sense. You can't call a computer company unhealthy, because that doesn't make sense either. You can call Apple stupid, which makes literary sense, but judging by how well Apple is doing, it doesn't make sense in a technological way.

On the other hand, you can use many European stereotypes against Nokia. Cheap, immoral, and jealous are all European stereotypes that work against Nokia.

Quote:

Maybe you are too busy killing Kangaroos and making them into cat food?

One response:

• Reply 8 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neotyguy40 View Post

It's because Nokia is trying to stop the imports to America, where infact Nokia sells only a few phones and doesn't even reside. They aren't trying to gain anything, just hurt Apple.

And yet he didn't make the same comment about Kodak, which is, wait a minute an American company.

And Nokia sold around 3.8 million phones in North America in Q4 2009, that is more than "a few".

Quote:

Because normal American stereotypes do not work on Apple. You can't call a company fat, because that makes no sense. You can't call a computer company unhealthy, because that doesn't make sense either. You can call Apple stupid, which makes literary sense, but judging by how well Apple is doing, it doesn't make sense in a technological way.

Actually there are quite a few that you could use, but unlike the Aussie, I won't bring racial undertones to the discussion.

Quote:

On the other hand, you can use many European stereotypes against Nokia. Cheap, immoral, and jealous are all European stereotypes that work against Nokia.

Oh, there are those racial undertones that I was talking about, nothing to add so you just start insulting a whole bunch of people.

Quote:

One response:

Look things up before posting an ignorant response.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    Wow, who would have thought that stating the obvious about a company from Finland is some sort of insult.

I'm sure the Finnish people would not consider being from Finland is a racial insult.

Hey, jfanning would you like some more possums?

Have you managed to kill the last lot we sent you?
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Quote:

And yet he didn't make the same comment about Kodak, which is, wait a minute an American company.

Does this article have anything to do with Kodak? No? Ok, my point is made.

Quote:

And Nokia sold around 3.8 million phones in North America in Q4 2009, that is more than "a few".

Phone ≠ Smartphone

Quote:

Actually there are quite a few that you could use, but unlike the Aussie, I won't bring racial undertones to the discussion.

You already did buddy, first by calling him an Aussie, and second... Well why don't you take a look at your kangaroo statement.

Quote:

Oh, there are those racial undertones that I was talking about, nothing to add so you just start insulting a whole bunch of people.

They're called stereotypes kid, and if you indicate in a conversation that you are talking about stereotypes, then people don't normally get insulted... Well, unless you talk about someone personally. But did I single a person?

Quote:

Look things up before posting an ignorant response.

Why don't you look things up before you make an ignorant statement. Otherwise you will get an ignorant response.

If you want to argue about this further, then we can take it to PMs.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    Quote:

Wow, who would have thought that stating the obvious about a company from Finland is some sort of insult.

The minute you mention one race, and ignore the other it becomes one.

Quote:

Hey, jfanning would you like some more possums?

Have you managed to kill the last lot we sent you?

You might want to check you history a bit, you never sent any possums over to NZ, the governor of the countries at the time (who was from the UK) thought it was a good idea to bring some over. And yes we kill tonnes of them, it is a national passtime did you not know?
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Quote:

Does this article have anything to do with Kodak? No? Ok, my point is made.

the last paragraph of the article...

Quote:

It is the third ITC investigation the Apple is officially involved in. This week the ITC also announced it would look into camera maker Kodak's complaint against Apple, which alleges the iPhone infringes on patents the company owns related to previewing digital images. Handset maker Research in Motion and its line of Blackberries are also targeted in the suit

See those letters K O D A K, they make up the word, Kodak, so yes the article has something to do with Kodak, so your point is nowhere.

Quote:

Phone ≠ Smartphone

To quote you...

Quote:

where infact Nokia sells only a few phones and doesn't even reside

You said phones, you didn't restrict it down to anything else, so if you meant smartphone, then say smartphone, not just phone.

Quote:

You already did buddy, first by calling him an Aussie, and second... Well why don't you take a look at your kangaroo statement.

He is from Australia, that makes him an Aussie, or is this one of those things that only that race is allowed to do? And Australias kill their national icon the Kangaroo and make pet food from them, again, we can insult one buch of people, but not Australians or Americans?

Quote:

They're called stereotypes kid, and if you indicate in a conversation that you are talking about stereotypes, then people don't normally get insulted... Well, unless you talk about someone personally. But did I single a person?

Well actually you did, you said that Europeans are cheap, immoral and jealous, if I was an european I might take offence with that.

Quote:

Why don't you look things up before you make an ignorant statement. Otherwise you will get an ignorant response.

If you want to argue about this further, then we can take it to PMs.

No, actually I don't understand what you mean, I did look it up, I know it to be a fact, we used to feed our cat Kangaroo meat.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    [QUOTE=jfanning;1576120]the last paragraph of the article... See those letters K O D A K, they make up the word, Kodak, so yes the article has something to do with Kodak, so your point is nowhere.[quote]

Look kid, it's called a connection. They are connecting that Apple has a lot of lawsuits against them. The article itself does not have anything to do with Kodak, now does it?

Quote:

To quote you...

Your point is not specified.

Quote:

where infact Nokia sells only a few phones and doesn't even reside

You said phones, you didn't restrict it down to anything else, so if you meant smartphone, then say smartphone, not just phone.

I'm sorry, I just assumed since the article is talking about smartphones, and EVERYONE else is talking about smartphones, you would get the connection. I apologize for what I said.

Quote:

He is from Australia, that makes him an Aussie, or is this one of those things that only that race is allowed to do? And Australias kill their national icon the Kangaroo and make pet food from them

Saying that he is an Aussie is not insulting. It's how you say it. I could say someone is 'gay', but it is not insulting unless I state it in a rude manner. Would you be mad if I called you a European? I sure hope not, but you be mad if I called you a typical European? I sure would be. And Australians killing their national icon is their culture, and it is very ethnocentric to insult someone by their culture. Many African tribes would think of us as cruel for using cows for meat. Do you think that is cruel?

Quote:

again, we can insult one buch of people, but not Australians or Americans?

If you said there was a stereotype of Americans being lazy, I wouldn't be offended. If you were saying that Americans were lazy, then I would be offended. There is a difference stating there is a stereotype of someone, and stating the stereotype was true.

Quote:

Well actually you did, you said that Europeans are cheap, immoral and jealous, if I was an european I might take offence with that.

Look at my post again kid, I said there is a stereotype of Europeans being cheap, immoral, and jealous. Did I ever state it was true?

Quote:

No, actually I don't understand what you mean, I did look it up, I know it to be a fact, we used to feed our cat Kangaroo meat.

Ok then, let me explain:

The 'lol wut' post was a point of shock thinking that you actually brought up a stereotype as an insult. I was surprised that you would actually use racial putdowns just to prove their point across.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Quote:

Look kid, it's called a connection. They are connecting that Apple has a lot of lawsuits against them. The article itself does not have anything to do with Kodak, now does it?

kid? If I am a kid, that must make you about 80, right?

Quote:

I'm sorry, I just assumed since the article is talking about smartphones, and EVERYONE else is talking about smartphones, you would get the connection. I apologize for what I said.

No, the article is talking about Nokia, a communications company asking the ITC to look into Apple whom they believe are violating their patents. Nothing about smartphones in there at all, well unless you just assumed that based on that fact that is all Apple makes, but everyone knows what happens when you assume.

Quote:

Saying that he is an Aussie is not insulting. It's how you say it. I could say someone is 'gay', but it is not insulting unless I state it in a rude manner. Would you be mad if I called you a European? I sure hope not, but you be mad if I called you a typical European? I sure would be. And Australians killing their national icon is their culture, and it is very ethnocentric to insult someone by their culture. Many African tribes would think of us as cruel for using cows for meat. Do you think that is cruel?

You are going way off point, the fact of the matter is, why did he mention that fact that Nokia is finnish, and used to make rubber and paper produts many years ago, but made no mention of the nationality, or previous business practices of the two other "American" companies in the article.

Quote:

Look at my post again kid, I said there is a stereotype of Europeans being cheap, immoral, and jealous. Did I ever state it was true?

Again, what is up with the "kid" comment, what are you, 20? 25? The minute you say it the rest of what you are trying to say just seems pointless.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    Quote:

kid? If I am a kid, that must make you about 80, right?

Well you are acting immature like one. And you are avoiding my point.

Quote:

No, the article is talking about Nokia, a communications company asking the ITC to look into Apple whom they believe are violating their patents. Nothing about smartphones in there at all, well unless you just assumed that based on that fact that is all Apple makes, but everyone knows what happens when you assume.

Hmm... Nokia is suing Apple over smartphone patents. And Apple is countersuing Nokia over smartphone patents... You're right, I don't see a connection at all.

Quote:

Again, what is up with the "kid" comment, what are you, 20? 25? The minute you say it the rest of what you are trying to say just seems pointless.

Wow, you sure took a lot of offense from that. Usually people don't take offense unless they actually are a kid. You are still avoiding my point though.

Quote:

You are going way off point, the fact of the matter is, why did he mention that fact that Nokia is finnish, and used to make rubber and paper produts many years ago, but made no mention of the nationality, or previous business practices of the two other "American" companies in the article.

Wait... You're seriously offended by him calling Nokia 'Finnish'?

I see no reason to argue further now.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:

Nah. You got it all wrong. It's all about the tires (now Nokian tyres) and the cables (NK cables). You see after a long period of using the cables for morse coded messaging when the weather was so bad that not even Nokia tyres could transport you, they thought of something better as they didn't want to make cables or tyres anymore. They wanted instead to stay at home so that you didn't have to see anyone anymore (cables have to be maintained and you might actually see a scary human being). But you still have to communicatite to order milk and presto the wireless communication device was created!

So you see, nothing to do with the TVs, computers and military communication systems. It's all a derivative of their car tyre and cable businesses.

Regs, Jarkko (a Finn)
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Quote:

Hmm... Nokia is suing Apple over smartphone patents. And Apple is countersuing Nokia over smartphone patents... You're right, I don't see a connection at all.

Actually, not. Unless you adopt the more widely used smartphone definition than what seems to be accepted on these forums.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

But the patents are quite specific technology patents that som of them cover other phones and non-phone devices as well as just smartphones.

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 18 of 45
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

What is the point of mentioning the race, or the country of the company in question and not actually making a valid point with it, why are you not making an insult to the American side of the equation? Maybe you are too busy killing Kangaroos and making them into cat food?

Because Apple is an US company and the EU has been slamming US tech companies for whatever bogus reasons EU companies can think of? It was a BS move to try to keep Apple products from their own home country so I hope they get screwed big time by the US ITC. A little tit for tat would go a long way in keeping the EU from being jerks all the time. Not that I think it's likely that the US ITC will ban Nokia phones in the US but it sure would be nice.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

A little tit for tat would go a long way in keeping the EU from being jerks all the time.

Thanks. When we (the Europeans) do something to uphold the law and rules we've both agreed to (dunno, patents for example?), we're jerks, but when you go and do something similar (let alone invade other countries without just cause), that's OK. So we're jerks. Good that that's clear now. Easier to proceed (no need to be courteous anymore I guess).

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Because Apple is an US company and the EU has been slamming US tech companies for whatever bogus reasons EU companies can think of? It was a BS move to try to keep Apple products from their own home country so I hope they get screwed big time by the US ITC. A little tit for tat would go a long way in keeping the EU from being jerks all the time. Not that I think it's likely that the US ITC will ban Nokia phones in the US but it sure would be nice.

But it is ok when both companies are American, like when Broadcom took on Qualcomm?