Hulu for Apple iPad likely to be a pay-only service - report

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 137
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Who gives a shit?

Quote:

International

For now, Hulu is a U.S. service only. That said, our intention is to make Hulu's growing content lineup available worldwide. This requires clearing the rights for each show or film in each specific geography and will take time. We're encouraged by how many content providers have already been working along these lines so that their programs can be available over the Internet to a much larger, global audience. The Hulu team is committed to making great programming available across the globe.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

This is yet another blow to iSteve's lie that the 'Pad is the best way to experience the 'web.

• Reply 122 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Who gives a shit?

For the record, I do. This seems like a train wreck waiting to happen, I can't imagine iPad users being willing to pay to get just three TV networks. If it included everything I'd probably be willing to pay a bit.
  • Reply 123 of 137
    I can easily see me paying a fee for Hulu. I am currently waiting for my DTV subscription to end so that I can go through an antenna and get broadcasting free. I wouldn't mind paying a monthly fee to Hulu to get shows that I watch on Cable and will not be able to get anymore.

I just don't want to keep paying the 92.00 a month for channels that I don't watch. I wouldn't mind paying the 20 a month for Hulu if I was to get an Ipad. I can have it on the go.
  • Reply 124 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

For the record, I do. This seems like a train wreck waiting to happen, I can't imagine iPad users being willing to pay to get just three TV networks. If it included everything I'd probably be willing to pay a bit.

Hulu offers the older shows that you can not get anymore on tv plus shows from some cable channels. I really think their movie selection sticks other than that I think Hulu is great.
  • Reply 125 of 137
    I feel the only way this will work if Hulu had an Ad free version of it's video if they expect someone to pay for it.
  • Reply 126 of 137
    I doubt that Hulu is making enough off their advertising to cover 100% of the cost of the service AND the creation of new content, which is essential if they are going to mature into a viable replacement for cable. Right now it is more of a testbed for a service.

Personally if they had a paid service, with enough content that I wanted to watch, and they had a plug-in for my AppleTV then I would gladly pay a small fee for it with the commercials in place. That is what I do now with my cable since most of the content is filled with commercials. The question is at what price would it be able to succeed as a subscription service and how much current content would they need, and more importantly as it expands do I have the option to buy a smaller percentage of the content for a lower price or does the price expand as they add in more and more channels and services?
  • Reply 127 of 137
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Once again, expect Hulu to compete with iTunes:

They will continue to offer ad-supported, streaming video, but you will have an account and will purchase "season pass subscriptions" as you can in iTunes, but for half the cost.

A typical season pass in iTunes goes for $24.99-$54.99

The New Hulu will charge $12-$24 for a show's season, and you'll be able to stream those shows only, whenever you want from any device, ads-included.

Speculate all you want but mark my words.
  • Reply 128 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Hulu for free on a laptop/desktop or pay for it on the iPad? I think I'll stick with free.

Absolutely! I agree 100%.
  • Reply 129 of 137
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

This is yet another blow to iSteve's lie that the 'Pad is the best way to experience the 'web.

Well he said best, not cheapest.
  • Reply 130 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Let the AI elitists and their so-called "ignore" list have their own chat while we with common sense have ours.

now that funny coming from you
  • Reply 131 of 137
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Because you said to me:

Sorry but that was still no reason to get all rude and offensive.

You may not have quite liked what I wrote but no way it could have been taken as a "personal attack", unlike your repsonse which definitely was and could not be taken any other way.

Grow up. If you wanna respond, just respond. No need to be an ass.

As the saying goes, "Lighten up Francis."
  • Reply 132 of 137
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

so let me get this straight...

RIGHT NOW I can go to Hulu's website and watch limited TV content for FREE on my laptop.

Yet, if I buy an iPad for the convenience that APPLE (not hulu) has afforded me, I have to PAY to view the very SAME limited TV content?????!!!!!?????

Can somebody say STUPID IDEA...

And don't start talking about "ads"

no one cares when they are there on your regular television. And nobody cares when they are watching Hulu right now FOR FREE.

Perhaps if a major cable company made ALL of their (and their subcontractors') content available on all devices and got rid of all ads, then perhaps people might live with a small fee.

However, for a free service to all of a sudden cost money not because of what they have done, but what APPLE has done is ridiculous. No one will buy it save a few suckers who got taken early.

On the iPad, content that is currently free should remain free. You should not have to take a hit just because you want to use a tablet instead of a laptop.

And if Jobs wants to kill Flash just so he can create a community of dollars for his company and their partners, well that is a shame. MS did that and it worked for a decade and a half until a competitor wised up and actually catered to the people rather than themselves. If Apple goes that route, it may not even be 10 years before another company comes up to teach them the same lesson.

the iPad should ENABLE people to interact with content at a more convenient level, not RESTRICT to a limited format and then bleed their wallets.

Sorry, just sounds like a bunch of junk. If that is the case, no iPad for me.

the hulu content would be upgraded

and hulu will be bought out soon enough..

your whole loud rant is mis guided
  • Reply 133 of 137
    They're welcome to switch Hulu to a paid-for model... and watch piracy rates on their shows go back up.
  • Reply 134 of 137
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

They're welcome to switch Hulu to a paid-for model... and watch piracy rates on their shows go back up.

Piracy rates could go up, but so could their revenue from Hulu. Are you really a valued customer if you aren't willing to pay for something at all? Piracy and loss of sales aren't as tightly linked as people seem to think.
  • Reply 135 of 137
    Honestly, Boxee for iPad would be MUCH more compelling than Hulu, because people don't want to be spending $ all the time with everything they want to watch and do... Boxee also has a lot of interesting indie content, and of course Hulu has no ability to pull in custom sources or your own content...
  • Reply 136 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Piracy rates could go up, but so could their revenue from Hulu. Are you really a valued customer if you aren't willing to pay for something at all? Piracy and loss of sales aren't as tightly linked as people seem to think.

No, but in its free form, they're at least showing ads to people who won't pay. OTA network TV is at least partly ad-supported, too, and it's free, so there must be some revenue to be made that way.
  • Reply 137 of 137
    Hulu is okay in regard to TV but it is not so great with movies - multiple listings of the same movies in the same section, same exact set of movies in the "recently added" and "popular" sections, and 95% of the movies are just terrible!