Browser Choice Screen for European users only

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Browser Choice Screen for European users only:

http://mashable.com/2010/02/19/browser-choice-screen/

What do you guys think? i don't understand why the EU is making microsoft do this. hopefully it doesn't happen in the usa. anyway somebody has already started a petition to microsoft to not do it:

http://www.petitiononline.com/t647lf75/petition.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickcrawley View Post

What do you guys think? i don't understand why the EU is making microsoft do this.

It's because they have around 90% of the marketshare for a desktop OS and this means that whatever software they bundle with the OS quickly becomes the standard. For an open and accessible internet, standards shouldn't be defined by one company's products, especially when they are so poor like Microsoft's browser products.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's because they have around 90% of the marketshare for a desktop OS and this means that whatever software they bundle with the OS quickly becomes the standard. For an open and accessible internet, standards shouldn't be defined by one company's products, especially when they are so poor like Microsoft's browser products.

why shouldn't a business be able to be as sucessful as it wants to be? why should businesses be forced to be less sucessful just to help out competitors?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Because Monopoly (i.e. a business being so successful that competition is impossible) stifles progress, as well as consumer value and options.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Nothing wrong with bundling a browser.

Microsoft committed a crime by bundling a non-standard complaint browser.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Browser Choice Screen for European users only

It may interest you to know that the €uropean Union has over 500 million inhabitants. That's a lot of PCs! Almost twice as many as in the US! Micro$haft can't afford to not comply with the rules and regulations of that kind of market! They tried that, and it's cost 'm 5 billion US dollars in fines so far. With a couple more cases on-going. So expect more fines.

Micro$haft may have learned its lesson, witness the browser choice with new installations of Windoze in the €U. But M$ is hardheaded enough, so they'll probably need a few more (expen$ive) prods to learn to really behave when they are in another country.

Be realistic, there really is only one direction for M$ to go: down.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I think they should have a Flash/No Flash option as well.

Apple is lucky they didn't call themselves Zeppelin Computers.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I think they should have a Flash/No Flash option as well

That's inside the browser(s), hill. But Flash will have gone the way of the Dodo long before that option will become mandatory in the €U. HTML5 may start to take over this year. Jobs/Apple is pushing hard. And a choice between Flash and HTML5 is a no-brainer. So what we need is a competitive technology to HTML5 to get real choice.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I don't feel it's right for a operating system maker or computer maker to bundle only one choice of web browser in their products, it gives them a unfair advantage.

Web browsers have improved dramatically since the free market and choice has been allowed work fairly.

Look at the selections we have now, Firefox with it's excellent add-ons and themes, Chrome, Safari, Opera etc.

Even IE has improved, a little.

Competition is good, wish the U.S., Apple and Microsoft will adopt the EU standards of choice first.

Safari has not lived up to Apple's usual security standards like OS X with it's Unix base is.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Because Monopoly (i.e. a business being so successful that competition is impossible) stifles progress, as well as consumer value and options.

if a company is being more successful it means they pay more tax to the government which means the government can help create more jobs for competitors or if a company is more successful it may mean they will want to expand which would create more jobs which means there will be less competition but there will still be jobs for people to work for the largest business.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I think they should have a Flash/No Flash option as well.

Apple is lucky they didn't call themselves Zeppelin Computers.

As far as I know the list isn't normally alphabetical, but random. Anyway, on Windows Chrome is way better than Safari.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

if a company is being more successful it means they pay more tax to the government which means the government can help create more jobs for competitors or if a company is more successful it may mean they will want to expand which would create more jobs which means there will be less competition but there will still be jobs for people to work for the largest business.

Unfortunately, in the economic real world, this is simply not true.

And seriously? Are you saying the government should use tax funds to create jobs in the private sector?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

anyway somebody has already started a petition to microsoft to not do it:

An online petition for Microsoft to break the law?

You really are incredibly naive.