Lord of the Rings

thttht
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Saw it this afternoon. Good movie. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I still teared up in places. Man the following movies are going to be in dark places if they keep it up.

Anyways, I'm off. Happy Holidays.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 103
    Cool. I finished the books about a week ago. One thing that pisses me off about the book/movie Xfer is that in the movie Boromer (sp?) gets to hold the ring at one point. In the book no one was allowed to touch or wear the ring. It was major aspect of the book. And a human too....what were they thinking?
  • Reply 2 of 103
    Yea!! I saw it and it was great!!

Go see it now!

• Reply 3 of 103
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    So the question is, did any Sci-Fi trailer catch your eye?

"We live for the one... We die for the one..."
  • Reply 4 of 103
    Matrix 2???
  • Reply 5 of 103
    Hmmm ... the only sci-fi trailer I recall was <a href="http://bventertainment.go.com/movies/signs/index.html"; target="_blank">Signs</a> with Mel Gibson.

Overall I really liked the movie. Very well-done. Excellent acting. Clearly some compromises had to be made with the plot, but overall I thought Jackson made good choices.

Ian McKellen was tremendous.
  • Reply 6 of 103
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Its been many years since I read and reread those books. But I seem to remember there being some strange relationship to the ring with Boromir . . . doesn't he flip out or something and covet the ring?
  • Reply 7 of 103
    Boromir flips out at the end of the first book and demands the ring from Frodo. Frodo puts on the ring and runs off, and ultimately decides to leave alone (Sam figures out his plan and comes with him). The rest of the fellowship spreads out to look for him and is broken by the assault of Isengard orcs.
  • Reply 8 of 103
    Well yea but he never gets his hands on it. The ring is just to powerful for any man. He wants it because his family has been holding the castle waiting for the return of the king for generations. They _never_ take the throne for themselves. Boromir wants to use the ring to win the coming war and claim the throne for his family.

He corners Frodo and puts a scare into him. That's what causes Frodo to concluded that he has to go it alone from that point on but then Sam catches up and goes with him.

Boromir gets killed trying to save Merry and Pippen.
  • Reply 9 of 103
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    great movie.

I made sure that I didnt read the books. Everytime I read a book and see the movie based on it, I cant get into the movie at all because Im trying to make too many comparisons and analysis.

So, this time I just played ignorant and I have to say it was excellent.

I was feeling misty when Gandalf plunges into the ravine... very powerful character.

cant wait for next december
  • Reply 10 of 103
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>great movie.

I made sure that I didnt read the books. Everytime I read a book and see the movie based on it, I cant get into the movie at all because Im trying to make too many comparisons and analysis.

So, this time I just played ignorant and I have to say it was excellent.

I was feeling misty when Gandalf plunges into the ravine... very powerful character.

cant wait for next december </strong><hr></blockquote>

OUCH!

You have to give people a SPOILER warning before you post about an emotional scene. I know I shouldn't be reading this but hell I'll see the movie regardless this weekend! I agree ...I'm going to watch the movie and then read the books as a child I read the Hobbit but never followed the rest of the books. Here's hoping for someone to do a movie based on The lion the witch and the wardrobe. I love this!
  • Reply 11 of 103
    I've been reading FotR to my family aloud, part of our effort to reduce TV time. Anyway, we're putting off watching the movie until we're done reading the material, but I have heard rumour that the end of the book and the end of the movie do not exactly match up. Should we read slightly into TT? How much?

-- ShadyG
  • Reply 12 of 103
    [quote]Originally posted by ShadyG:

<strong>I've been reading FotR to my family aloud, part of our effort to reduce TV time. Anyway, we're putting off watching the movie until we're done reading the material, but I have heard rumour that the end of the book and the end of the movie do not exactly match up. Should we read slightly into TT? How much?

-- ShadyG</strong><hr></blockquote>

I haven't seen the movie but from what I can tell you should read until (and I don't want to say too much or else I'll get yelled at for spoiling it) the end of the first real battle.

I think it would have been super cool to end where the first volume ends but that would be a major downer. Plus there would be no chance to to have a major war.
  • Reply 13 of 103
    saw it last night (Wensday), loved it. BUT the worst bit was not the film but the iPod ad before it.
  • Reply 14 of 103
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I want to see it. Never read the books, so I'm hoping I won't be disappointed per usual. And whaddaya mean about the iPod ad...you don't like that Arab looking guy dancing around? That ad cracks me up. I almost want to get up an dance to it sometimes.

PS - at almost 3 hours, I'm kind of psyched. I like getting some serious footage for my money, and the special effects scenery looks amazing (better than the Star Wars stuff even). I just hope I can follow the plot as it goes because I have a feeling stuff happens in the blink of an eye / it's easy to miss important things.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 103
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs ?:

<strong>I just hope I can follow the plot as it goes because I have a feeling stuff happens in the blink of an eye / it's easy to miss important things.</strong><hr></blockquote>

In the book nothing happens in the blink of an eye. The story is rather straight forward. You may not understand all the motivation all the time but what fun would it be if you did?
  • Reply 16 of 103
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong> Here's hoping for someone to do a movie based on The lion the witch and the wardrobe. I love this!</strong><hr></blockquote>

It has been done. They play it on Public television every once in a while. here is a link to where you can buy it. <a href="http://www.christiancinema.com/c/catalog/lion.witch.wardrobe.html"; target="_blank">http://www.christiancinema.com/c/catalog/lion.witch.wardrobe.html</a>;

They have also done Voyage of the Dawn Treader and I beleive at least one other. Fairly well done.

Now back to the subject at hand. I hear that Sauron looks just like what you would expect, a total bada$$ and that the Balrog is just awesome. Is it true they did not do Tom Bombadil? I want to see this movie SOON!!!
  • Reply 17 of 103
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I'm going to go see it with my brother and uncle this Sunday.

I've been rereading LotR for English class. Excellent book. I somehow doubt that the movie will live up to it.
  • Reply 18 of 103
    The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe has been criticized for being "too christen". They even rewrote the book to tone it down a little.
  • Reply 19 of 103
    The lion the Witch and the wardrobe movies (if you can call them that) were pretty good. VERY BBC but good.

As for LOTR, well, It was lacking but still good. They REALLY needed some more character development (is the whole point of reading LOTR not to experience the great characters?), and above all some better camera work. It got me, they had stunning sets, AMAZING special effects, but the camera work was reminicent of a collage documentary.

Also, agent Smith as the elven king (Elrond?) just didnt work. He wasnt bad at the role or anything, but he just played Agent Smith in elven cloths.

Other complaints:

Too much in too little time, but what can you expect? They had to. Also Legolas was a virtually non-existant character, he just sat there looking elvish and fighting like some doped up ninja (when he stabs the orc with the arror then cocks it and nails another orc.... woha...).

But my BIGEST PROBLEM with it ALL:

The Lord of the Rings Poem! Why did they NEVER read it? The begining they "tell it" but they dont read the damn poem! I wanted to hear "Nine for mortal men doomed to die" but instead they say "Nine rings were forged for the kings of mankind to rule their lands"

now the good:

-The effect when Frodo puts on the ring... WOHA! That was the best part of the movie.

-The casting was beyond superb. Jackson showed his casting skill with xmen, but in this it was amazing.

-The Balrog, THE FRIKIN BALROG! AMAZING! Also that scene with Gandalf was over the top.

"You can not pass!"

-Computer animation takes the cake for the best Ive seen. It even out does my previous #1, Fightclub.

-AMAZING back drops, AMAZING! The world was perfect.

-Ring wraiths, what can I say...

-Awsome action

It was good, I really enjoyed it, but it could have been better with just a few little touches.

And my final question: What was with time in that movie? It takes gandalf what? 4h to get to that city, read all the scrolls and get back? Why didnt they just make it the 12 years that it was supposed to be?

Oh well, you cant win them all... unless your Gandalf.
  • Reply 20 of 103
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    I almost saw it this afternoon, but I got a flat tire on the way there and missed the show.

Planning on heading out again to see it tomorrow, though!