Gartner: Apple's iPhone was No. 3 worldwide smartphone in 2009

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What momentum? The one that made them become uncompetitive?

I wonder if the writer realised that momentum is a vector quanity?

C.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Windows Mobile take is still pretty impressive for a mobile OS that is highly considered to be a joke now. I think Windows Phone 7 Series has a good chance of being a success.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

There is no doubt the iPhone came into it's own last year when it got MMS, video, cut and paste and speed. All the things I had been asking for. Heck, I even bought one.

What are odds that a company will eventually release a faster device with more features.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

3 years to become the 3rd largest smartphone manufacturer, bravo Apple.

If they continue on the same growth it looks like they'll beat RiM for #2 and that is without opening up to new carriers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by goron59 View Post

In June 09, 46% of the iPhone/iPod Touch usage was outside the US and I expect this is only going to get higher.

I think by now that has happened. For total Apple revenue more than half has come outside the US for a year or two now, and Europe is getting close to being a higher take than North America.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

Apple is the no 1 phone maker in the world in terms of profit !!!! Apple even earns more than nokia !!! Haha...

And that first happened a year ago. Crazy!
  • Reply 23 of 51
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

To call some of Nokia's best-selling phones "smartphones" is a real stretch.

According to Nokia's latest financial report, their best selling smartphones are the E71, 5800, N97 mini and X6.

Which of these isn't a smartphone and why?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126

Can't wait to see what Apple has up their sleeve for 2010's iPhone/OS!

Me neither. I think we're going to see a substantial update this year.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

According to Nokia's latest financial report, their best selling smartphones are the E71, 5800, N97 mini and X6.

Which of these isn't a smartphone and why?

Me neither. I think we're going to see a substantial update this year.

Yeah, I'm probably biased because Nokia isn't even in the same league as Apple when it comes to mobile innovation.

Symbian?
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Quote:

To call some of Nokia's best-selling phones "smartphones" is a real stretch.

But how does that make Apple #2? Even if we took 50% off of Nokia's numbers for not meeting the definition of a "smartphone" (yours or otherwise), they still nearly double the amount of sales Apple made.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    Quote:

Yeah, I'm probably biased because Nokia isn't even in the same league as Apple when it comes to mobile innovation.

Symbian?

Ok... But how does that make Symbian not an smartphone OS? Just because it doesn't have an Apple logo, it isn't a smartphone?
  • Reply 27 of 51
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A

..... Symbian platform drop from 52.4 percent a year prior to 46.9 percent.

I.

On the chart it's 54.2 not 52.4.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Quote:

? Research in Motion, which carried 19.9 percent with 34.3 million units sold.

Did it include the "Verizon, RIM Run 2-for-1 BlackBerry Sale"?http://www.thestreet.com/story/10462...erry-sale.html
  • Reply 29 of 51
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Did it include the "Verizon, RIM Run 2-for-1 BlackBerry Sale"?http://www.thestreet.com/story/10462...erry-sale.html

You've got to remember that the 2-for-1 offer is a Verizon offer. Verizon can afford to run this promotion because the offer is tied to a relatively expensive two year contract. RIM gets paid whether Verizon sells the phone for $500 or gives it away for free.

It's no different from O2 offering the iPhone for free in Europe.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I would assume it does. But how does that affect things? Sure you can have bragging rights that the iPhone didn't need a sale (not that Apple would ever have one...). A BB sold is a BB sold, regardless of what the carrier does.

It's not like that sale was a mandatory condition for getting a BB.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    iPhone was NOT (as the headline suggests) the "No. 3 worldwide smartphone in 2009." The remainder of the article goes on to demonstrate that Apple was the No. 3 smartphone VENDOR in 2009.

The iPhone has been the No. 1 smartphone in the world for a long time. Specifically, the iPhone sells more units than any other single model of smartphone in the world. Apple only sells the one model (more, if you count differing amounts of RAM as different models). Nokia sells around a dozen different smartphones, none of which support sales approaching that of the iPhone. But grouped together, their numbers exceed that of the iPhone. The same goes for RIM.

Even if you group all the TOUCHSCREEN smartphones by vendor, Apple is No. 1 in the world. (See <http://www.canalys.com/services/continuous/sma.html>;)

No, the headline of this article is misleading. It should be changed to "Gartner: Apple was No. 3 worldwide smartphone vendor in 2009."
  • Reply 32 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drbilly View Post

iPhone was NOT (as the headline suggests) the "No. 3 worldwide smartphone in 2009." The remainder of the article goes on to demonstrate that Apple was the No. 3 smartphone VENDOR in 2009.

The iPhone has been the No. 1 smartphone in the world for a long time. Specifically, the iPhone sells more units than any other single model of smartphone in the world. Apple only sells the one model (more, if you count differing amounts of RAM as different models). Nokia sells around a dozen different smartphones, none of which support sales approaching that of the iPhone. But grouped together, their numbers exceed that of the iPhone. The same goes for RIM.

Even if you group all the TOUCHSCREEN smartphones by vendor, Apple is No. 1 in the world. (See <http://www.canalys.com/services/continuous/sma.html>;)

No, the headline of this article is misleading. It should be changed to "Gartner: Apple was No. 3 worldwide smartphone vendor in 2009."

Good points. Welcome to the list.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Linux is doing very well - Android and WebOS are both Linux based. The total Linux share is 9.3% - ahead of Windows Mobile. Pretty impressive.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drbilly View Post

Good point. That's true.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UrbanVoyeur View Post

Linux is doing very well - Android and WebOS are both Linux based. The total Linux share is 9.3% - ahead of Windows Mobile. Pretty impressive.

Hold on there. It took Google to bring Linux successfully into the mobile space.

Desktop Linux is a completely different story.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Quote:

? Research in Motion, which carried 19.9 percent with 34.3 million units sold.

Did it include the "Verizon, RIM Run 2-for-1 BlackBerry Sale"?

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10462...erry-sale.html
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

You've got to remember that the 2-for-1 offer is a Verizon offer. Verizon can afford to run this promotion because the offer is tied to a relatively expensive two year contract. RIM gets paid whether Verizon sells the phone for $500 or gives it away for free.

It's no different from O2 offering the iPhone for free in Europe.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I would assume it does. But how does that affect things? Sure you can have bragging rights that the iPhone didn't need a sale (not that Apple would ever have one...). A BB sold is a BB sold, regardless of what the carrier does.

It's not like that sale was a mandatory condition for getting a BB.

No argument with either response.

Just a note however, according to the attached article this was a joint venture with RIM, not a subsidization program by Verizon or Vodafone.

The original article implies that RIM might be losing a little on the deal, i.e., lower pricing to the wireless service, although they might enjoy a 'piece of Verizon's monthly action.'

Unless RIM/Verizon continue to offer the deal ad infinitum, thus in effect lowering the price of their devices, it is difficult to extrapolate the sales and get a true trend of the market.

If I am not mistaken, one of the most interesting points of the report was the growth in units sales between 2008 and 2009, i.e.,
    • Symbian .............+8.0 million units

• RIM ..................+11.2 million units

• Apple ...............+13.5 million units.

• Reply 37 of 51
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    I think Nokia will grow strong in 2010/2011. No vendor lock-in, no ridiculous iTunes/Phone coupling, working bluetooth, multitasking, SIM-lock free models available, also available with more than just one (bad) provider... My next phone will almost certainly be a Nokia again.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

We're number THREE!!! We're number THREE!!! We're number three!!!

Let's see, if I remember things correctly (always a crap-shoot at this stage of my life), Nokia started their foray into smartphones in 1996 to establish their smartphone lead (ignoring their earlier general cellphone development), Microsoft with Windows, and RIM in 2002. iPhone rolled out in 2007, and Android of course came out in 2008. Number 3 in the market against more mature players doesn't suck.

Ironically there is no industry-wide accepted definition of "smartphone" beyond the "generally accepted" version of "a mobile phone with advanced capabilities". So even a "dumb phone" that can do email and carry a questionable web browser could be classified as a smartphone.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Ironically there is no industry-wide accepted definition of "smartphone" beyond the "generally accepted" version of "a mobile phone with advanced capabilities". So even a "dumb phone" that can do email and carry a questionable web browser could be classified as a smartphone.

Which is exactly the problem with Nokia's numbers. Remove all the Nokia junkware and the gap is narrowed considerably.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Which is exactly the problem with Nokia's numbers. Remove all the Nokia junkware and the gap is narrowed considerably.

Which models are these "junkware" that you talk about?