Apple job listing hints at new iPhone OS-based devices

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A new corporate job listing implies Apple's iPhone OS could become the interface for new hardware beyond the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch in the future.

Last week, Apple revealed it is looking to hire an engineering manager to work at its corporate headquarters in Cupertino, Calif. The full-time job would lead a team responsible for the architecture, firmware, core drivers and bring-up of new hardware based on the iPhone OS.

"The Core Platform team within Apple's Core OS organization is looking for a talented and inspired manager to lead a team focused on bring-up of iPhone OS on new platforms," the job listing reads.

Apple is looking for a "very technical and hands-on leader" to work closely with the company's hardware team, and someone who has a thorough understanding of the mobile operating system's underpinnings. The ideal candidate would have experience with Mac OS X or iPhone development, as well as ARM-based systems-on-a-chip.

In 2006, AppleInsider first revealed that Apple planned to utilize a variant of Mac OS X to embed in its mobile devices. That variant eventually became the multitouch iPhone OS, which is based on the underpinnings of Mac OS X. Apple's latest job filing would imply that the iPhone and iPad were just the first two new devices to take advantage of Apple's revolutionary mobile operating system.

The iPhone is based on the ARM processor architecture, which allows for low power consumption in mobile devices. For the forthcoming iPad, Apple created its own custom chip, also based on the ARM architecture and estimated to have cost the company $1 billion to make.

As first reported by AppleInsider in 2008, Apple has been a licensee of the ARM architecture for years. The company also purchased P.A. Semi for $278 million in 2008. Apple's experience with and acquisitions related to chip design could give the hardware maker more flexibility in the future to create unique devices that take full advantage of the iPhone OS.

Apple said its new engineering manager will work with the company's hardware and silicon teams "to bring-up new platforms and prototype systems," and also define the software roadmap for "a range of hardware platforms, including iPhone and iPod." The employee will also "lead the team's assistance in requirements for future hardware and custom silicon."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    Quote:

A new corporate job listing implies Apple's iPhone OS could become the interface for new hardware beyond the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch in the future.

The open OS X UI on Mac's might be doomed. \

Looks like Intel processors use on Mac's is doomed too.

If people buy the (cheaper?) closed iPhone/iPad UI devices to satisfy their needs, it decreases the demand for the open OS X UI devices.

Wow, just when OS X UI market share has exploded around the world.

ARGHHH! I got to use insecure Windows now for a compatible, somewhat stable and open OS? After 20 something years of using Mac's?

Is Apple committing business suicide?

There is certainly some mixed signals coming out of Cupertino lately, including the removal of some racy Apps and some not.

WTF?? I wish Apple would calm the fears out there, I don't want to buy the newest MacBook Pro only to find out it's OS X UI is going to be obsolete soon and no more program development.

Got fooled by the PowerMac G5 and then Blamo! no more OS X development, what a total waste of several thousand dollars that was.
  • Reply 2 of 69
    I saw this buzz a couple places. And I can see a 'clam-shell' like device with a keyboard and touch screen, but... How would you roll multi-touch into AppleTV? Unless it required a iPod Touch/iPad/iPhone as the remote control...

Now, the core iOS on Apple Silicon with a different (than iPad) UI? That is the future (if it has one) of the AppleTV.

But I can't see the Mac Mini or the MacbBook Air being 'replaced' by iOS devices. The Mac Mini is successful because it it IS a full Fledged Mac. And the cachet for the MB Air is a fully functional, ultra portable, premium laptop. [I can also see an iOS clam-shell device canabalizing this market - which would lead me to say that it won't happen]
  • Reply 3 of 69
    A4 (and family) expectedly becomes their flagship...
  • Reply 4 of 69
    It would be great to use my iPHONE to go online to PayPal and use it as an charging device - with or without an attached creditcard reader. Since MasterCard is now in GB available with an RFchip built in, I suppose the communication between card and iPHONE could also be done via WiFi.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

If people buy the (cheaper?) closed iPhone/iPad UI devices to satisfy their needs, it decreases the demand for the open OS X UI devices.

ARGHHH! I got to use Windows now for a open and compatible device? After 20 something years of using Mac's?

Or this could have nothing to do with macs at all. I could see aspects of iPhone OS going to Apple TV (or touchscreen controllers for Apple TV), a smaller iPad (or bigger iPod touch). Maybe they want to develop a touch screen device that car manufacturers can integrate into their vehicles. iPhone OS requires a computer to sync to, be it windows or mac. If anything it has brought more people to OSX (note the huge increases in mac sales despite some models being very old).
  • Reply 6 of 69
    Nice!

Seems Apple's got the game figured out for the next few years. This is a great time to be an Apple customer.
  • Reply 7 of 69
    I bet we'll see it in refrigerators, like a built in cut down family iPad that can be updated via other iDevices
  • Reply 8 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

A4 (and family) expectedly becomes their flagship...

No. There is a lot to be gained from keeping windows-compatible macs running intel. Macs are gaining market share and own a disproportionate amount of profit in this sector.
  • Reply 9 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

I saw this buzz a couple places. And I can see a 'clam-shell' like device with a keyboard and touch screen, but... How would you roll multi-touch into AppleTV? Unless it required a iPod Touch/iPad/iPhone as the remote control...

Now, the core iOS on Apple Silicon with a different (than iPad) UI? That is the future (if it has one) of the AppleTV.

But I can't see the Mac Mini or the MacbBook Air being 'replaced' by iOS devices. The Mac Mini is successful because it it IS a full Fledged Mac. And the cachet for the MB Air is a fully functional, ultra portable, premium laptop. [I can also see an iOS clam-shell device canabalizing this market - which would lead me to say that it won't happen]

Who says the iPhone OS can't handle an apple remote (or iphone remote) if in an apple TV?
  • Reply 10 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Or this could have nothing to do with macs at all. I could see aspects of iPhone OS going to Apple TV (or touchscreen controllers for Apple TV), a smaller iPad (or bigger iPod touch). Maybe they want to develop a touch screen device that car manufacturers can integrate into their vehicles. iPhone OS requires a computer to sync to, be it windows or mac. If anything it has brought more people to OSX (note the huge increases in mac sales despite some models being very old).

You could be right, however Apple did remove all but the one white MacBook and substituted a line of iPads in their place.

And Apple didn't port iPhone Apps over to OS X, so you can't use some of the same apps on both computers and your portable devices. Why do this unless you plan the demise of the OS X UI?

How many iPhone Apps have Dashboard copies by the same developer? Does anyone know?
  • Reply 11 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

I bet we'll see it in refrigerators, like a built in cut down family iPad that can be updated via other iDevices

I'm hoping for in car displays. I'm tired of poorly designed displays and UIs in cars.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    Quote:

Apple must have figured out the faster way to grow market was through iTunes and no bikinis.
  • Reply 13 of 69
    Quote:

You could be right, however Apple did remove all but the one white MacBook and substituted a line of iPads in their place.

And Apple didn't port iPhone Apps over to OS X, so you can't use some of the same apps on both computers and your portable devices. Why do this?

How many iPhone Apps have Dashboard copies by the same developer? Does anyone know?

I guess everybody expects that single task system for devices would be able to displace multitasking OS X. Is that really what you (and Apple) think as future?

I would guess that they may put into devices that do not require much, but simple user interactions:

- cash registers,

- vending machines,

- TV sets,

- standalaone audio control systems (not just portable sources like iPod or iPhone)

- simple user gadgets with screen

- some gadgets with no screen

- e.t.c.

It may also not be about their processor... or it could be if there is one simplified/optimized to microcontroller functions. Who knows?

I am not sure if the want new, closed platform for regular PC that will not cease to exist in near future.
  • Reply 14 of 69
    iPhone is a killer, no secret there

iPad is likely to be a killer; no surprise expect on that front

What I see is a need for a device between the 3.5" iphone-the Baby Bear and the 10" iPad-Poppa Bear, i.e., a Momma Bear in the 6-7" range

Such a device would be perfect for UPS/FedEx and other genre of couriers (of course it would need a high enough res camera to read bar codes), shop employee who need a true handheld that can easily slip in and out of a holster for on-the-fly invoicing, nurses on the wards to check and document patient details, and other users, not to mention gamers who might find the iPad too big and the iPhone too small. Because of the plethora of business uses, it might even chip away at any windows-based devices that are out on the market

Let's see what the future holds
  • Reply 15 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I'm hoping for in car displays. I'm tired of poorly designed displays and UIs in cars.

Amen to that. With so many people using their iPhone/iPod in their cars, it seems silly to allow Microsoft to provide the interface (Ford/Sync).
  • Reply 16 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

iPhone is a killer, no secret there

iPad is likely to be a killer; no surprise expect on that front

What I see is a need for a device between the 3.5" iphone-the Baby Bear and the 10" iPad-Poppa Bear, i.e., a Momma Bear in the 6-7" range

Such a device would be perfect for UPS/FedEx and other genre of couriers (of course it would need a high enough res camera to read bar codes), shop employee who need a true handheld that can easily slip in and out of a holster for on-the-fly invoicing, nurses on the wards to check and document patient details, and other users, not to mention gamers who might find the iPad too big and the iPhone too small. Because of the plethora of business uses, it might even chip away at any windows-based devices that are out on the market

Let's see what the future holds

Seems logical, but why hire a new person or team just for that? Seems like it would just be a slight re-tooling of products they already have.
  • Reply 17 of 69
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Finally... they are going to develop the wrist watch people have wanted for years... and it will have holographic technology and laser beams and it's rumoured that they will use new inter-dimentional transporter technology so you can beam yourself to the moon and ride a cosmic space unicorn over rainbow comet dust....

However, the unicorn only comes in gloss.

But it will have a blue tooth.
  • Reply 18 of 69
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

And Apple didn't port iPhone Apps over to OS X, so you can't use some of the same apps on both computers and your portable devices. Why do this unless you plan the demise of the OS X UI?

Then they redesigned that single macbook to feature "unibody" construction. Why redesign a product you are phasing out?

You can use iPhone OS apps on a mac if you are a developer and have the iPhone/iPad simulator. Why hasn't Apple given everyone the ability to use iPhone OS apps on a mac? The apps are designed for a touch screen and an arm processor, they wouldn't run natively on OSX and cursor input is less than ideal for multitouch based programs. Apple prides themselves in a superior user experience, they aren't ones to slap on features for the sake of having features.

If Apple was abandoning OSX why would they require it to code iPhone apps? Apple wants more developers using the mac platform in the hopes that some will transition into developing proper OSX programs in addition to iPhone OS programs.

I don't understand how these crazy conspiracy theories come about. Will Apple borrow elements from iPhone OS in future iterations of OSX? Yes. Will iPhone OS get some new OSX features? Yes. Could they eventually merge into one? Maybe, in a long time, but the resulting OS would be a lot different from what we see today.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    This has little bearing on the Mac OS and I have no idea why some are bleating on about the death of Mac OS X.

The iPhone OS has always been more capable than merely running a phone. I can certainly see a lineup based around A4 and perhaps an A3 or A2 processor as well. Some obvious options.

Nextgen Timecapsule

Nextgen Airport Extreme

Home Server (not based on Mac OS)

Apple TV

Quick Boot feature for Mac laptops where you boot quickly into iPhone OS to email/Calendar/Tweet

Anything small with processing needs is a candidate for iPhone OS.

People needing to run heavy applications, multitask and more are still going to be served by Macs running the latest flavor of Mac OS X with gobs of RAM and storage space.
  • Reply 20 of 69
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    WOW, overreacting anyone?

I don't think Apple will drop OS X anytime soon. It's their core, they having iPod, iPhone and iPad drive people to trying it. Maybe from our end the world is moving very fast in terms of OS, but majority of Offices around the world still use Windows XP. So no need to freak out about Apple dropping OS X.

It will still dominate well into the future.

Quote:

ARGHHH! I got to use insecure Windows now for a compatible, somewhat stable and open OS? After 20 something years of using Mac's?

There is certainly some mixed signals coming out of Cupertino lately, including the removal of some racy Apps and some not.

WTF?? I wish Apple would calm the fears out there, I don't want to buy the newest MacBook Pro only to find out it's OS X UI is going to be obsolete soon and no more program development.

Got fooled by the PowerMac G5 and then Blamo! no more OS X development, what a total waste of several thousand dollars that was.