Swimwear seller hit by Apple's removal of 'sexual' apps

Comments

• Reply 101 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

And once again Americans become prurient laughing stock for the rest of the world.

Only the fool (or the insecure) decides what's right and what's wrong by whether anyone is laughing at them.
  • Reply 102 of 124
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Not only is Apple bowing to pressure from a vocal religious fringe... they?re implementing it in crazy ways

It will be weird to see iTunes with all movies over PG removed (and all G movies with swimsuits too), and half the TV shows, and half the music, and half the podcasts.... Is that what?s next? Bow to pressure and more pressure will come!

Content ratings and filter options (opt-in?) can keep the scary swimsuits away from the psychologically-damaged. There?s no need for an outright ban.

I expect Apple will improve on this mistake?they often have with past bad calls in the App Store. But even if that happens, a bad call was still made.
  • Reply 103 of 124
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

I'm very surprised the ACLU (for better or worse) hasn't chimed in on this.

Really? Maybe we should have a constitutional amendment requiring Apple to sell Wobble iBoobs on the app store. Get right on that, write your congressman today!
  • Reply 104 of 124
    I wouldn't mind Apple purging these junk applications (and most of them look pretty worthless) so much if Apple allowed users to download apps from any other place. Put the burden on the buyer to vet non-Apple App store purchases and live with the consequences.

The biggest problem is that Apple demands that it be the sole retailer of third-party apps. As pointed out, Apple's decisions are completely arbitrary, Playboy and SI swimsuit app - yes; iWobbleBoobs no. A while back Apple denied a political guide to Congress app approval because of unflattering caricatures drawn by a Mad magazine artist. It was later approved after a public outcry. I don't want the sole retailer of apps making moral or political decisions on what I can see and use. Let grown- ups make grown up decisions on what apps they want, even if you and I may think they are stupid. Thats what makes America great.
  • Reply 105 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

It is not a civil liberties issue.

Suppressing the contents of privately-owned devices doesn't tread on any rights?

I see. Here's looking forward to whatever Apple imposes next...
  • Reply 106 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Really? Maybe we should have a constitutional amendment requiring Apple to sell Wobble iBoobs on the app store. Get right on that, write your congressman today!

Laugh it up.

What happens when Apple decides that everything we do with their hardware needs to be approved by them? Forget about reading or posting to any discussions like this.

Apple used to be all about non-conformity and free thought. Now they're Big Brother. It's time to wonder if maybe Microsoft wasn't that bad....
  • Reply 107 of 124
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I still can't believe that Phil Schiller, in the same conversation said, "Putting kids and families first" (whatever the f___ that means), and then said, "Established brands are OK, big names = OK. Little guy = f you"

It's just staggering. If you read that and don't have a problem with it, well I think you might need help.

Have you never heard of the term "marketing spin"? That's what directors of marketing do, and in this case, Apple has made Phil Schiller's job quite a challenge, no doubt about it.

But in any event, if you take everything a marketing person says at complete face value, perhaps you're the one that needs some help.
  • Reply 108 of 124
    Quote:

Laugh it up.

What happens when Apple decides that everything we do with their hardware needs to be approved by them? Forget about reading or posting to any discussions like this.

Apple used to be all about non-conformity and free thought. Now they're Big Brother. It's time to wonder if maybe Microsoft wasn't that bad....

Windows Phone 7series looks pretty tempting now
  • Reply 109 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

Ah...the slippery slope of mass censorship.

Wonder how the 'glad they banned the boobs' crowd is going to spin this into a positive move.

I imagine they'll try the old 'Apple can do what they want, sellers can just go elsewhere' argument - well worn, but entirely fallacious.

Toshiba doesn't dictate what apps I can use on their laptops, neither does Microsoft ban an entire swathe of applications for fear of offending American sensibilities that fly in the face of their European customers.

Tell me, why shouldn't these apps still be available in the UK or French app store? Why not just ban them from the US?

Or do the 'ban the boobs' crowd on this board genuinely believe that US morals should apply to us as well?

Don't try and characterize the whole United States.... Although it has a reputation for moral righteousness and narrow-minded religious orthodoxy, most of that nonsense is restricted to a (albeit large) minority. The majority of people are pretty moderate (or liberal) in their views of sex. Just take a look at the sex-crazed media industry.
  • Reply 110 of 124
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    LOLs

Quote:

So Apple Bans Girls In Bikinis, But A Shirtless Gay Dude Washing A Car Is OK

Apple has banned sexy apps. But apps from Playboy and Sports Illustrated remain. Why does Apple care what turns me on?

If you need another example of why the iTunes App Store's walled garden is flawed, Apple has been only too happy to oblige, capriciously and arbitrarily removing an unknown number of "sexy" apps without warning. All that's missing to complete the metaphor is a flaming sword.

Some of those apps were certainly garbage, but it seems most were simply slideshows of women in various states of undress.

http://gizmodo.com/5478334/so-apple-...ng-a-car-is-ok
  • Reply 111 of 124
    does this mean Apple is encouraging Nudity by baning Swimming Suits?

Lands' End Swimwear

Find Swimsuits for Every Body-Type at Lands' End. Shop Online Now!

www.LandsEnd.com

How's that for a google add?

it was in this message header ... LOL
  • Reply 112 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

If you remove 5000 apps. Mistakes are bound to happen.

If a mistake was made, I'm sure it will be corrected..

Mistake was to remove those 5000 apps. Waiting for that to get corrected...
  • Reply 113 of 124

Nazis in Apple completely took over.
  • Reply 114 of 124
    You people realize the swimwear seller is back on the App Store, right?

Link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/simpl...335321798?mt=8
  • Reply 115 of 124
    Apple's puritanistic views and draconian rule over the app store leave a bad taste in my mouth. I'm in the market for a new phone, and was looking forward to getting an iPhone... But I'd hate myself for supporting this bullshit. BlackBerry here I come.

In view of this article, it's ironic that the iPhone is the sexiest phone out there.

Shame.
  • Reply 116 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belligerence View Post

Apple's puritanistic views and draconian rule over the app store leave a bad taste in my mouth. I'm in the market for a new phone, and was looking forward to getting an iPhone... But I'd hate myself for supporting this bullshit. BlackBerry here I come.

In view of this article, it's ironic that the iPhone is the sexiest phone out there.

Shame.

Seems like that's a pretty dumb way to decide on which mobile phone you're going to buy.
  • Reply 117 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Seems like that's a pretty dumb way to decide on which mobile phone you're going to buy.

You don't think the ability to use any app you like on a phone that you spent good money for is important? I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a phone that's crippled by these enforced parental controls. I like my freedom, thank you.

It's not this app in particular that is bothering me, but the policies at Apple. The problem is, the stuff they make is so attractive, they can essentially be as arrogant as they want and they'll still sell a ton.
  • Reply 118 of 124
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:

Suppressing the contents of privately-owned devices doesn't tread on any rights?

I see. Here's looking forward to whatever Apple imposes next...

Apple can choose to sell or not sell whatever they want. They have no legal duty to carry any particular goods.
  • Reply 119 of 124
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Not IMO. I bought an iPhone, and the device is great. But Apple sucks.

They actively prevent me from using the device in the manner I want to use it (and no, I have no interest in lame bikini apps).

iTunes sucks - bloated and buggy, and I have little choice but to use it.
  • Reply 120 of 124
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member