Gartner: Apple's iPhone was No. 3 worldwide smartphone in 2009

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Which is exactly the problem with Nokia's numbers. Remove all the Nokia junkware and the gap is narrowed considerably.

But what's that actual number? 10%, 15%, 25% of the total numbers? Unless you can definitively draw a line in the sand on the definition of a "smartphone" that everyone can agree on and nail down a definite amount to remove, you're forced to count them all.

Your argument is really moot.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drbilly View Post

iPhone was NOT (as the headline suggests) the "No. 3 worldwide smartphone in 2009." The remainder of the article goes on to demonstrate that Apple was the No. 3 smartphone VENDOR in 2009.

The iPhone has been the No. 1 smartphone in the world for a long time. Specifically, the iPhone sells more units than any other single model of smartphone in the world. Apple only sells the one model (more, if you count differing amounts of RAM as different models). Nokia sells around a dozen different smartphones, none of which support sales approaching that of the iPhone. But grouped together, their numbers exceed that of the iPhone. The same goes for RIM.

Even if you group all the TOUCHSCREEN smartphones by vendor, Apple is No. 1 in the world. (See <http://www.canalys.com/services/continuous/sma.html>;)

No, the headline of this article is misleading. It should be changed to "Gartner: Apple was No. 3 worldwide smartphone vendor in 2009."

As has been constantly pointed out, Apple sells more than one model of phone, at the moment they sell two, and more if you count memory configurations. To assert your claim, can you provide the split between the 3G, and 3GS?
  • Reply 43 of 51
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Maybe Nokia can stop falling, another 2% this year.

How did Nokia executives get them to 36.4% market share?

By starting with 40% three years ago!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

I think Nokia will grow strong in 2010/2011. No vendor lock-in, no ridiculous iTunes/Phone coupling, working bluetooth, multitasking, SIM-lock free models available, also available with more than just one (bad) provider... My next phone will almost certainly be a Nokia again.

• Reply 44 of 51
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

How did Nokia executives get them to 36.4% market share?

By starting with 40% three years ago!

Just you wait
  • Reply 45 of 51
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Seen the Q4 2009 results? Nokia gained 5 points. Nokia had a bad start to the year but they recovered significantly towards the end. Their last financial reports showed net income up 65%.

2010/2011 is going to be very interesting. Apple, Google and RIM are riding on strong growth. Nokia and Microsoft will finally release competitive versions of the mobile operating systems. And then there's the curve balls, such as Palm and MeeGo.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Let's see, if I remember things correctly (always a crap-shoot at this stage of my life), Nokia started their foray into smartphones in 1996 to establish their smartphone lead (ignoring their earlier general cellphone development), Microsoft with Windows, and RIM in 2002. iPhone rolled out in 2007, and Android of course came out in 2008. Number 3 in the market against more mature players doesn't suck.

You're correct. Nokia's first quasi-smartphone was the 9000 Communicator in 1996. It's first modern smartphone was the 9210 Communicator in 2000 and it's first S60 smartphone was the 7650 in 2002. So, yes, they've been in the smartphone business for a long, long time.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Nokia is apparently doing not that bad at all. Evenly to anyone in the traditional industry. It's funny as hell now to see how CEOs are completely failing to explain where the decent revenue's come from in 2009.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dvassallo View Post

All this achived in 3 years with 1 model and 1 US Carrier.

Why 1 model and 1 carrier? 1 model, understandably, but 1 carrier, why?
  • Reply 48 of 51
    Not only 1 carrier in the US but also only 1 carrier in each European country. I also would like to know why. It's one of the reasons I don't want an iPhone.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

Not only 1 carrier in the US but also only 1 carrier in each European country. I also would like to know why. It's one of the reasons I don't want an iPhone.

They opened up to other carriers awhile back. Note that Apple isn't the only vendor to offer exclusivity to carriers. This is a common practice. The HTC G1 only on T-Mobile, the Droid only on Verizon. Apple and AT&T aren't the first or only ones to do this. The difference is, like with their Macs, is Apple doesn't try to make a 10,000 slightly different products to fit everyone's needs. Will the exclusivity end? Absolutely, but at this stage it's pointless since the iPhone can only work on the GSM world standard, not CDMA or 3G on T-Mobile.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    Yes, you in America are used to having this retarded system where every provider can determine which functions a mobile phone does or does not support, but in Europe it's different. Here any phone can work with any provider, and all the phone's functions just work. Except for the iPhone and some Android phones, although you can at least get the Android phones SIMlock free here. The reason Nokia is not nearly as popular in America as it is in Europe and the rest of the world is that they can't be bothered to make a phone for every provider out there. They sell enough phones already and the US is not that big a market compared to the rest of the world.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    Thats good news i can't wait to see what the end of 2010 will bring, and where we will be placed after the iPhone 4G release around christmas time.