Does Europe suck or what?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    sapisapi Posts: 207member
    that's one very good question Scott...

better ask the germans... maybe it has something to do with terratoriums (bad spelling??)
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Scott H, that is an awsome conversation! That guy has great comebacks.

I think that tis important here to point out that while the Americans are a "very clean people" some polution studies should be put up as well...

Canadians in the meanwhile are a healthy median, and completley convinced that they are the meek who shall inherit the earth ("I love this, because when they get it Im gonna push them down and take it. Hell, they're meek, a wimp could kick their ass" - some comic). I really wonder about the Canadian superiority mentallity some times.

As for the Europeans, they are cool. yes the French are snobby, but they have a right to be, they're French goddamn it! The Brits... well... go watch the family guy (Then we'll just have to talk you out with our superior conversation skills").

But if you ever wind up on a little island country called Malta you will never again bad mouth the Europeans as a whole. The people are the friendliest Ive ever met, they have NO crime, I dont htink that I ever saw a cop, everything is cheap, the climate is good, they have a good university... its a truely amazing place. In fact it took the reign from Panhachelle, Guatemala (or Gringo Tanango as it was known to locals) for being my favorite place.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    <-----
  • Reply 24 of 42
    janejane Posts: 68member
    No Europe or the U.S. do not suck.

You know what sucks, is having a lousy job with no future and be condemned to stay at it for years until you find another lousy job, the fact that doctors and nurses would leave a woman in the snow just outside the emergency room in the middle of winter because an ambulance had to bring her to the door (rules are more important than people), children being abused, waiting lists that endanger the health of people (until a woman has to have a masectomy because she had to wait a long time); people stabbing each other in the back all the time; people making crude remarks (but politely) about people from another race; dealing with people who hates Americans and can't see what is good in them; being told all the time that the country you live in is so superior to anyone else on earth even though it is not true; dealing with 28% illiteracy (I am talking about being able to function properly in society); a general begging its government for help in Rwanda and being ignore which cost the lives of 800,000 people; the waste of natural resources; pollution; lousy transit systems (less serious but annoying); people with no culture or manners; not being able to trust people. I guess I am talking about Canada.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada.

Perhaps 'Jane' should exercise that right and find a place without problems instead of slandering this country at every opportunity.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    What.

PS: Sorry, Italy is more beautiful than France.

PPS: The only person who was ever rude to me in France was another American.

PPPS: I've always had a pleasant time in Canada.

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 42
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    So, is Canada more like Europe or the US?
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quebec is very much like France when it comes to arrogance.

And the rest much more like the U.K. when it comes to not knowing on what leg you should dance.

And the technology and TV, and music, and movies are very much American.

To Mac:

I would love to leave Canada, just get me a Green Card or an U.K. work permit and I am gone so you will never hear the truth again in your life; wouldn't that be nice. And you will be happy to continue and hate Americans and others that do not agree with you.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    What is it with ex-pats and wannabe ex-pats from Calgary? (I know another woman from Calgary who now lives in LA -- her job might be cut BTW)

[nevermind. too far off the point. the euphoria of having a break from work got to me.]

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Why are you unable to get those permits yourself? Is it the Canadian Conspiracy at it again?
  • Reply 31 of 42
    No I have not been able to do it.

But young Canadians like you who cannot stand criticism often think it is a simple thing to do when it is not.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    markmark Posts: 143member
    [quote]But young Canadians like you who cannot stand criticism often think it is a simple thing to do when it is not.<hr></blockquote>

Yours was hardly a list of valid criticisms. It was an unreasoned, jingoistic rant.

[quote]I would love to leave Canada, just get me a Green Card or an U.K. work permit and I am gone so you will never hear the truth again in your life; wouldn't that be nice.<hr></blockquote>

If memory serves, there are slightly more than three nations in the world. Oh wait - I've heard this before...

Haven't most of us Americans, Britons and Canadians already met "Jane"? You know, individuals whose grossly bleak descriptions of their country betray their lax-mindedness and privileged reality? People who envision the end of their troubles as simply running away to a better land - yet who are of such meagre intelligence and initiative, that they can think only of moving to (surprise!) another English-speaking nation; the daily life and popular culture of which they may adopt with a minimum amount of effort? A place with - but of course - all the advantages of the developed world, which - but of course - they expect to enjoy?

As though this laziness and utter lack of critical thinking didn't speak volumes about their finger-pointing - or their chances of suddenly finding perfect bliss elsewhere. What a colossal joke.

Oh! And how the ineffectuality of pushing paper in hopes of realizing the promised land is taken as yet another example of the impossible oppression of their wretched nation - how convenient. It's no use! There's no hope! We're all irretrievably horrid and all partners in the ruse!

So here we have it now, ladies and gentlemen - the Battlecry of the New Republic: Give me unfailingly faultless health-care and ready access to hobbyist websites or give me death! Thank you so very much, dear Jane...now let us hear from those in the world who have no such thing as freedom of expression. Hello? Hello? Ah, well. Back to you then:

[quote]And you will be happy to continue and hate Americans and others that do not agree with you.<hr></blockquote>

Oh, right. Mac The Fork hates Americans. Because Canadians hate Americans. I suppose I do as well. Hey Mac, remind me once in a while, alright?

Cheers,

Mark.

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: Mark ]</p>
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Jane sure reminds me a lot of a gal named Monique.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    whats wrong with Canada? I always thought of Canada as being a clean USA. Of course you have the frogs to be a thorn in your side. Split off the French side and you've got a groovy country...................
  • Reply 35 of 42
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>whats wrong with Canada? I always thought of Canada as being a clean USA. Of course you have the frogs to be a thorn in your side. Split off the French side and you've got a groovy country...................</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wouldn't say clean.. I've been in some pretty nasty parts of Canada in my time.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Actually, Quebec (city) and Montreal are two of the highlights IMO.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Again it is not like in the tourist brochure. It is not cleaner; if you go to Toronto and Montreal you will dirt everywhere and sadly homeless people.

I am not slandering and I have the right to my opinion you are happy in your little world more power to you. I am not and I am still trying to get a company to sponsor me. Hopefully in a few you will be happy to see me go. Those things are from my point of view like the perfect world you live in is from you point of view. You can throw any numbers you wish; I have met too many people who think like I do.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I've spent a few month in Canada (mostly Montreal and toronto) and it was quite pleasant. Like a 51st state of America. Canada and the US are very very similar culturally.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Sorry, Italy is more beautiful than France.

The only person who was ever rude to me in France was another American.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree with the first point... Italy is awesome, and the food's better too!

Now about France. I've met several people who were quite friendly and nice but also people who were incredibly rude. Now keep in mind that the US has rude people too, its just that our rude people are a different type of rude.

The moral of the story: Visit France and then take a train through the Alps to Italy. Travel as much as you can, but make sure to go to Rome and Venice. (I also love Switzerland, but that's another story.) And Amsterdam's "fun" too.

If you're in Rome or Venice I am more than happy to recommend some great restaurants.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Xool:

<strong>

I agree with the first point... Italy is awesome, and the food's better too!

Now about France. I've met several people who were quite friendly and nice but also people who were incredibly rude. Now keep in mind that the US has rude people too, its just that our rude people are a different type of rude.

The moral of the story: Visit France and then take a train through the Alps to Italy. Travel as much as you can, but make sure to go to Rome and Venice. (I also love Switzerland, but that's another story.) And Amsterdam's "fun" too.

If you're in Rome or Venice I am more than happy to recommend some great restaurants.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I do not know if french foods is better or not than italian foods, the best cooking are a mixed of different tastes and cultures. I love the food coming from many country : i can appreciate many different tastes and i like to try new things (i am curious for the food).

You are entirely right, they are rude peoples everywhere (unfortunetaly or i will immigrate in this country immediatly

Venice is a very nice town (i love it), but you should not go to this place in summer : they are too much people. i went there in october, they where still many people but the number was correct. I was impressed by the Doges's palace : the rooms where geant (considering the age of the building) .

Unfortunetaly i never went in roma, perhaps in a couple of years.

Florence is a very nice country too : with good wines ..., city of art and fabulous paysages.