'Outsider' Avon chief is new co-lead of Apple Board of Directors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Andrea Jung, chief executive of Avon Products and the only woman on Apple's seven-person board of directors, will serve as the co-lead director at Thursday's shareholder meeting.

Jung was quietly named co-lead director in December, when Apple listed her new designation on page 8 of its December proxy statement. The change was highlighted Wednesday by Bloomberg, which said that the nomination of a company "outsider" will quell complaints from some that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs had "too much sway over a group of hand-picked directors."

Jung replaces Bill Campbell, who was a former Apple executive and is one of the company's longest-serving board members. Apple would not say why Campbell would no longer serve as its board's co-lead director.

"(Jung) is a strong CEO and marketer and her insights and experience have been a great addition to Apple's board," company spokesman Steve Dowling told Bloomberg.

The 51-year-old was elected to Apple's board in 2008. She also serves on the board of directors for the General Electric Company, and is also a member of the New York Presbyterian Hospital Board of Trustees and the Catalyst Board of Directors. She has served as head of Avon, the women's beauty products company, since 1999.

In addition to Jobs and Jung, the other members of the board are former U.S. Vice President Al Gore, J. Crew Group CEO Millard Drexler, Genentech Chairman Art Levinson, Intuit Corp. Chairman Bill Campbell and Harwinton Capital CEO Jerry York. Google CEO Eric Schmidt was also a member until last year.

Both Google and Apple were the subjects of a Federal Trade Commmission investigation for potential antitrust ties. Schmidt chose to resign because Google's Android mobile operating system and forthcoming Chrome OS netbook operating system look to compete with Apple's iPhone and Mac OS X, respectively. And Levinson, who also served on both companies' boards resigned from Google, severing the last tie between the two.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    So now we know who stripped us of our boob apps.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Approximately 15% of the board of Fortune 500 consists of women, so Apple is right at the average there (one out of seven). However, less than 40 of the Fortune 500 have a woman as the lead director, so Apple is ahead of the rest there.

Between its GHG emissions and waste/toxicity/energy use activities, supplier responsibility initiatives, and now this, Apple seems to be wearing on its sleeve its 'corporate social responsibility' initiatives a lot lately.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Made me laugh.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Made me laugh.

Yes, misogyny is just so funny.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    and how does makeup and computer go together.... Common Avon is not that successful of a product, it is worse then MaryKay and Amway from networking selling...

There is something more to this appointment than meets the eye
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

and how does makeup and computer go together.... Common Avon is not that successful of a product, it is worse then MaryKay and Amway from networking selling...

Perhaps there are such attributes as governance, oversight, and leadership skills she brings, that your cute-sy, quizzical, little brain cannot comprehend?

Or (to use the word above in another person's post) is it simply misogyny on your part -- care to explain, for instance, what the connection might be between a preppie clothes maker and computers?
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The male appreciation for mammary glands and their nurturing cover, colloquially known as "boobs" need not be interpreted so broadly as misogyny.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skooz View Post

The male appreciation for mammary glands and their nurturing cover, colloquially known as "boobs" need not be interpreted so broadly as misogyny.

Misogyny was not applied to the appreciation; that's your misdirection.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...... Drexler, Greentech Chairman Art Levinson,.....

You mean Genentech?
  • Reply 10 of 39
    I'm having issues with the photo AppleInsider posted. This is all I'm seeing:

EDIT: There has to be a better, more flattering photo of her, right? I'm just... I don't know... "embarrassed" for Apple, I suppose.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

Avon revenue fiscal year 2008 was $10.7 billion, significantly larger than Amway and Marykay.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Jung is extremely intelligent and a very good businesswoman.

This why she is also on the board of some other very large corps.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clickmyface View Post

Avon revenue fiscal year 2008 was $10.7 billion, significantly larger than Amway and Marykay.

Correct. And, she rose through the marketing ranks to be named Brandweek's "Marketer of the Year" in '96. As the first female CEO at Avon, and in Jobian-style, she nearly tripled Avon's profits in her first five years.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

Uh, like why do you link boob apps to women hating?

It's more like the opposite? \
  • Reply 15 of 39
    I think many people don't understand what a Board of Director does and what they are responsible for in the company. I would recommend you do a 10-15 min research on the matter if you are unsure.

I think Andrea Jung is a great addition to have on Apple Board of Directors. She has lots of experience that will serve Apple well.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Someone is a junior at Bryn Mawr.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Perhaps you missed the part in the article where she is also on the board of GE, one of the largest and diverse corporations on the planet. I'm pretty sure they don't have a makeup division, so I think it's safe to assume she has knowledge and experience beyond the cosmetics industry.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:

Get a grip...
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Correct. And, she rose through the marketing ranks to be named Brandweek's "Marketer of the Year" in '96. As the first female CEO at Avon, and in Jobian-style, she nearly tripled Avon's profits in her first five years.

Jobsian.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Jobsian.

Yes, thanks.