Successful iPhone app helps TomTom withstand free competitors

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

Apple rejected Google Maps with free navigation, true. TomTom earned a healthy profit because they were coddled by Apple, who just wanted to preserve its 30%. This is great news for the developer and Apple, but who is the real loser here? Exactly, all the people who paid for something offered at no charge outside the apple ecosystem. The situation itself boggles my mind, but the twisted reporting of it is just bizarre. Well, unless the developers outnumber the users here.

It's an amazing phenomenon. I try to never make many predictions about Apple or its customers, because they never cease to amaze me.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Army-signal corps. Didn't use the Omega: before my time. But a sextant, yes for personal boating.

As a civilian, the first GPS were out 300 ft. and very expensive. Used both as backups to each other for quite some time.

Good to know Abster...I went in the USNavy to learn celestial navigation to 'personal boat' (sail) around the world! Now I live in a desert (AZ, USA) go-figure!

Signal corps...My Dad was in the English Army in the middle-east 'signal-corp' he asked to be put in 'intelligence' -go figure!

Omega was the 100 plus mile nav. solution for the sailors at the time (70's/80's)

Anyway, good to talk to you....enjoy that Lexus!
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

It's an amazing phenomenon. I try to never make many predictions about Apple or its customers, because they never cease to amaze me.

I think you hit the nail on the proverbial head with that comment!
  • Reply 44 of 50
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    When did they do that?

Do you have a link?

Has Google even submitted an update to their existing Maps App to Apple containing free navigation?

I know Google blocked European users who cracked their maps application on Android to get free voice navigation outside the US.

Source

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

Apple rejected Google Maps with free navigation, true.

• Reply 45 of 50
    I have the Nokia maps app on my N78 and it works pretty good. But it's not entirely accurate to say that it's "free"... yes, the program is free, but you can't navigate with it. I got 3 months of navigation with mine and after that you have to pay a subscription... which I haven't done (much). One good thing about it though is that you can subscribe for a week or a day (I think) so if you are on holiday somewhere you can get it for just the time that you need. That's useful. I used it for a day in the UK last year when I was driving to a place I hadn't been before and was quite pleased - it just took the cost directly off of my mobile account and was pretty cheap too as I recall.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Nokia released a new version of Ovi Maps 3 for selected handsets.

Details here

You should check it out, maybe you can get one of them to install on your phone, such as the 6210 version, it has similar specs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spedney View Post

I have the Nokia maps app on my N78 and it works pretty good. But it's not entirely accurate to say that it's "free"... yes, the program is free, but you can't navigate with it. I got 3 months of navigation with mine and after that you have to pay a subscription... which I haven't done (much). One good thing about it though is that you can subscribe for a week or a day (I think) so if you are on holiday somewhere you can get it for just the time that you need. That's useful. I used it for a day in the UK last year when I was driving to a place I hadn't been before and was quite pleased - it just took the cost directly off of my mobile account and was pretty cheap too as I recall.

• Reply 47 of 50
    We have been on a road trip for the last two months with the TomTom iPhone app, which I bought for $50 (USA only). This is an excellent app that works anywhere, even where there is no 3G, Edge, or cell tower. I preset some favorites for the places we were staying and it will use any address in your contact list. It gives a location within one second of the actual location while moving.

It is necessary to supply power to it at all times, since it will drain the battery in short order. If I am playing music on the iPhone, TomTom mutes the music to give an instruction and then resumes with the music. The directions are for turns and lane changes. In a couple of spots, it knew the name of the road where I was to turn; most times not.

The only problem with GPS reception was in the center of San Francisco business district. I have the iPhone velcroed to the dash, rather than using the mount. Several times, the directions had me go around the block so I wouldn't have to make a left turn in the middle of a block, even if there was a left turn lane in the middle of that block.

Notification is given two miles before an event, which may be something as inane as making sure you don't take an exit. At one-half mile from the event, it says turn right 800 yards ahead, if traveling at highway speed, or 400 yards or 250 yards ahead if on city street, also noting which lane to stay in, and what the next event is.

Trips can be planned with no GPS available, and when GPS is available, it takes you on your way. If you decide that TomTom's route is not the one you want, just go the way you want and TomTom will adjust the trip from the changed position; this takes 5 seconds or less.

We brought a USA atlas with us, but haven't opened it. We also use google maps for more specific locations, if TomTom doesn't get it quite right.

Love it.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    What the article and all you TomTom lovers fail to mention is that their sales numbers hinge entirely on Apple's protectionist app store policies. I suspect Apple will not be able to continue this policy much longer, as they will start to bleed users who are growing tired of it
  • Reply 49 of 50
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icazzi View Post

What the article and all you TomTom lovers fail to mention is that their sales numbers hinge entirely on Apple's protectionist app store policies. I suspect Apple will not be able to continue this policy much longer, as they will start to bleed users who are growing tired of it

Can you run through the train of thought that would suggest that? There are several other GPS guidance apps that can be had through the app store.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

There are several other GPS guidance apps that can be had through the app store.

Free ones? Not so much. How many people do you think would buy the TomTom nav app if Google Navigation was on the app store? The only reason for doing so would be if one were traveling outside their subscriber area and would incur roaming charges for using their data connection.