Intuit intros long-awaited Quicken overhaul for Mac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    I am using budget software from YouNeedABudget.com that meets my needs better. YNAB--unlike what I saw in the Quicken screenshots--focuses on monthly budgeting rather than mere transaction tracking. One of the basic ideas in YNAB is to use last month's income for this month's expenses to avoid living from paycheck to paycheck. I realize that's not going to work for everyone, but I like it.

Someone above mentioned Moneywell. That looks interesting, too. Do the amounts in the budget "buckets" roll forward from month to month?
  • Reply 22 of 93
    I was intrigued until I reached the $70 part. iBank costs a good deal less and for that I can put up with its quirks. Moneywell is another one that looks interesting, but this Quicken looks like a damp squib, and an expensive one at that.
  • Reply 23 of 93
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

I think you're overreacting. My understanding is that Mint doesn't actually get your password data, it's passed on to some password broker that all the banks already use to store you login credentials. Do a little Google searching for a clearer picture, but I'm pretty sure no one's had their financial data compromised just by the act of registering acccounts with Mint.

I also heard that AMEX is giving its account members a mint.com type of functionality that allows you to register accounts and such.

I have a question with Mint. I have everything setup through my online banking, CC transfers, bill payees, etc. Does Mint know how to break down these transactions, or will it just present you with the statement view of all transactions which you then have to manually categorize?

I guess I should google it more...
  • Reply 24 of 93
    I have to wonder why they bothered. Once again it's missing features from the Windows version. Even Microsoft took 10 years to learn that while Office looks Mac-like, it's missing features cripple the software compared to the Windows version.
  • Reply 25 of 93
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Note to Intuit: We want feature parity, not half a product.

Quit whining. You knew that there was little software available when you bought a Mac!

Do we hate Intuit now, like we hate Adobe?
  • Reply 26 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philu View Post

Don't bother waiting. If this is the direction Quicken for Mac is taking, then you might as well just use the free Mint.com app.

I would love to use mint.com, but they don't support my bank so I can't use it. So my only choice is to use something like Quicken which can import the OFX file the bank creates.
  • Reply 27 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philu View Post

So without bill pay, investment management, or TurboTax integration, Quicken for Mac is now basically Mint.com but you have to pay about $70 for the privilege of using it offline instead of using the free online version. Guess that Mint.com investment Intuit made will pay off.

Inuit says that only 6% pay bills through Quicken, but that sounds fishy. It can't be. I've been paying bills electronically with financial software, first Managing Your Money and then Quicken, for almost 20 years. To me that's a core feature, not a bell or whistle that people don't really use.

As you said, without bill pay, investment management and tax integration, the application is worth very little.
  • Reply 28 of 93
    I was a quicken user for a long long Time- I went to a PC and was using Parallells- I looked at every product and was waiting for the quicken for mac to come out. When I heard it was not going to have bill pay I gave up on it.

So I went to www.yodlee.com

They run the back end of MINT and many other big banks.

So far so goo.
  • Reply 29 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Quit whining. You knew that there was little software available when you bought a Mac!

True dat- but that's why we use bootcamp and parallels.
  • Reply 30 of 93
    Very light investment information and no integration with Turbo Tax? You are kidding, right? No thank you.
  • Reply 31 of 93
    Over priced - under powered. The lack of Turbo Tax integration, poor reporting and minimal investment tracking are show stoppers for me. Intuit continues to drop the ball for Mac users.
  • Reply 32 of 93
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaker355 View Post

Too little, too late. Intuit has never been serious about a financial app for the Apple platform. Go with iBank instead - works with many banks online and has a great iphone app (for $5).

What I can't understand is why the former CEO of Intuit is on Apple's board, given the lackluster Mac support the company has historically provided. Can't he pull a little weight?

http://about.intuit.com/about_intuit...l_campbell.jsp
  • Reply 33 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaker355 View Post

Too little, too late. Intuit has never been serious about a financial app for the Apple platform. Go with iBank instead - works with many banks online and has a great iphone app (for $5).

Intuit is leaving the PPC in the dust. Essentials is an Intel only application.

I have tried Moneydance and Moneywell, but I keep going back to iBank.

I had too much trouble balancing my checkbook with Moneywell and

did not like the way Moneydance works.
  • Reply 34 of 93
    Quote:

Not as much as we hate a certain someone......
  • Reply 35 of 93
    Yes...very strange "update". I WILL NOT be spending $70.00 for what really is a large step backwards for Intuit (Mint) Quicken. I agree, this is a paid version of mint.com. Hopefully Intuit will read these, sell very few copies, and completely re-write the program. For now, I am staying with 2007 version. They blew it!!
  • Reply 36 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

The fact that Intuit owns Mint.com now is probably a good indicator that Mint.com is on its way out too. I have Mint.com, but it's just no replacement for my desktop Quicken.

Actually its the opposite. Intuit now point you towards mint.com instead of their own QuickenOnline, so I think their plan is to move to mint.com, and probably phase out QuickenOnline.
  • Reply 37 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

I like the clouds.

Cloud Financing... One day you have a solid investment/retirement portfolio then POOF, the next day you don't...
  • Reply 38 of 93
    Looks like I'll be sticking with Quicken 2004 - at least until the G5 iMac holds out anyway.

Agree that this software is way too expensive for the features. Plus it only took them forever to come up with this. Been promising a Mac version forever.
  • Reply 39 of 93
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

You don't even own a Mac. Quit pretending like you have a stake in this...

For anyone else, Quicken for Mac *used* to have those features in previous versions.
  • Reply 40 of 93
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Ummm, I can do same thing with Mint.com... FOR FREE! And the User Interface is much easier to use on Mint.