Steve Jobs says Apple must 'think big' with $40 billion in cash

Comments

• Reply 61 of 323
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Apple already spends a lot on monitoring its environmental impact. They are the only company I've heard of that figures out its carbon footprint by including its manufacturing and its office and retail operations.

These latest shareholder resolutions were not well thought out, and didn't seem positive to me. I usually vote for environmentally-conscious shareholder resolutions, but I voted against these.

What was not well thought out about them?

I certainly see nothing wrong with "analyze its impact on the environment". Apple has lots of cash to spend, and that would be a great way to spend some of it. I'm disappointed they chose not to.
  • Reply 62 of 323
    Buy the NFL. Kick DirecTV out. Build subscription TV from there.
  • Reply 63 of 323
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Don't look for Apple making any large mulit-billon $ acquisitions. Historically that's not their style. Sub-billion is though.

It'll be interesting to see what they have cooking by his statements. Sounds like some radical new stuff coming down.
  • Reply 64 of 323
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdanboy View Post

Steve and Apple management, would you take a couple of years off and run the country?? Please

I'd be for that.. as long as Al Gore weren't involved in any way, shape or form. The guy's a huckster, a fraud, and a hypocrite.
  • Reply 65 of 323

"Think Big"

Hell Yea, what Apple and Steve have been doing from Day One

Or try it this way ...

Change The World?

Is THAT "big" enough for you ?

And how we'll do that ?

No problem - Karma and Fate will show us The Way, The Path

When the time comes - we'll know what to do - will be evident

Is simple as can be

Ain't Life Great when you follow The Tao ;-)

BC

• Reply 66 of 323
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big KC View Post

I'd be for that.. as long as Al Gore weren't involved in any way, shape or form. The guy's a huckster, a fraud, and a hypocrite.

I'd say he's an intelligent Nobel Prize winner who's doing very good work. :-)

It would be great to have him back in the White House.
  • Reply 67 of 323
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Nice try. You obviously have no idea how much the NFL is worth. $40b would merely be a down payment, and leave the company broke.
  • Reply 68 of 323
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by itistoday View Post

I'd say he's an intelligent Nobel Prize winner who's doing very good work. :-)

It would be great to have him back in the White House.

I sure hope that was dripping with sarcasm!

Leader of the biggest scam since Jesus.

He invented the internet don't you know.
  • Reply 69 of 323
    I knew it!! They're going to purchase Yahoo!
  • Reply 70 of 323
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

That would actually work.
  • Reply 71 of 323
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

"Think big" doesn't necessarily equate with either financials or size, that seem to cloud most people's judgements.

you may well be right, the thing is that "thinking big" was juxtaposed with their liquid assets, whether that figure be $25B or $40B. That doesn't lend itself to thinking about sub-billion-dollar projects.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

Technically, you buy it for a multiple of earnings, rather than revenue.

Last I checked, Apple is trading at about 23X earnings.

Non publicly traded companies typically sell for 5 to 6 times earnings.

You're right, I knew something was off, I wasn't sure.
  • Reply 72 of 323
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tods View Post

Luckily only a small minority of shareholders want a huge dividend, but it bothers me that anybody makes noise about it. Which would deliver more long-term profit: you or I investing our tiny share of that 40 billion in something other than Apple, or letting Apple invest it in itself?

It's not the small shareholders like you or I that matter though, it's people like Fidelity and Barclays who hold about 5% each of Apple, and hence of the cash pile, they own $2bn each, that matter.

That said, it's highly unlikely they would object to whatever Steve Jobs wants to do given his remarkable track record. The mind boggles at what he might do with a bold $40bn move!
  • Reply 73 of 323
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

4. Buy Palm to consolidate the smart phone market. Palm is worth pocket change ($1B)

Why buy a company that has nothing to offer? Palm is the 90s Apple of the 2010s except they have no future.

Apple should buy Comcast or AT&T and pump 1GBps fiber to my house.
  • Reply 74 of 323
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big KC View Post

Nice try. You obviously have no idea how much the NFL is worth. $40b would merely be a down payment, and leave the company broke.

Actually I was kidding, and I have a pretty good idea what the league is worth as well as each team.

I did write a while ago that I thought Apple should have at least been looking at bidding for tv rights.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1575...on-an-nfl-deal
  • Reply 75 of 323
    Well, I think Apple has perhaps started its "Think Big" campaign with its huge data center in North Carolina. It's been perceived to be a data center for the iTunes/App Store, and perhaps that could be true. But could they be making a move to be a full fledged wireless data provider? They don't need to be a telco - they don't need to be a cable operator - they just need to provide a data pipe. They have no legacy to hold them back from implementing the next gen network that their devices will demand.

The single biggest threat to Apple's growth and innovation is going to be their dependence on their carrier "partners" getting their network up to snuff. Of course, the way AT&T goes on, it would seem that $40 billion is not enough to do the job. But, hell, if Apple was making the money from the devices as well as all the subscription revenue, they may have the cash flow to do the job.

I'd like to see it.

- edit - If I'm not mistaken, Sprint is just under 10B market cap. Buy them and their network and own the whole bag of beans.

-Blurp
  • Reply 76 of 323
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

Bloomberg (link below) says, " The company had about $25 billion in cash and short-term investments as of December."

Can anyone reconcile those two reports?

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-update1-.html

Going from their last 10-Q, The difference looks like mostly long-term marketable securities ($15B), plus a few other things. Cash & cash equivalents and short-term marketable securities total $24.7B.
  • Reply 77 of 323
    Quote:

Steve and Apple management, would you take a couple of years off and run the country?? Please

A sexier, more stylish America.

The whole country looking like San Francisco. Sounds like a plan!
  • Reply 78 of 323
    Quote:

With Apple's growing control obsession? I'd rather have Bush back in office.

Back on topic, $40 billion isn't exactly chump change! Whatever you do Apple, don't get delusional and think you're gonna buy Yahoo or something.
  • Reply 79 of 323
    Buy Electronic Arts.
  • Reply 80 of 323
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Think big: Market a version of OSX for system builders and push Windows out of the market!

FOR FUCKS SAKES, LET US RUN OSX ON SOMETHING OTHER THAN AN APPLE COMPUTER