Steve Jobs says Apple must 'think big' with $40 billion in cash

Comments

• Reply 81 of 323
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Think big: Market a version of OSX for system builders and push Windows out of the market!

FOR FUCKS SAKES, LET US RUN OSX ON SOMETHING OTHER THAN AN APPLE COMPUTER

That's not thinking big. That's thinking small. Look around at all the high valued PC vendors. Can you name them?

Outside of HP and Toshiba who have R&D for other product segments all of the rest are feeding on scraps.
  • Reply 82 of 323
    This might not be thinking big, but I would like to see Apple get into the online backup business like Mozy or Carbonite. I had Mozy and had troubles with it so having it run by Apple and built into the OS with a "set it and forget it" interface would be great.
  • Reply 83 of 323
    zmaczmac Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

Bloomberg (link below) says, " The company had about $25 billion in cash and short-term investments as of December."

Can anyone reconcile those two reports?

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-update1-.html

just under $40bn cash, cash equivalent, and long-term marketable securities. see the Dec 2009 10Q

cash and cash equivalent 7.6 bn

short-term marketable securities 17 bn (treasury bill)

long-term marketable securities 15 bn (treasury bond)

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...xUeXBlPTM=&t=1
  • Reply 84 of 323
    Apple does great with its focus on the consumer. spend some money and develop an enterprise solution, incorporating communication (business iPhone and iPad), video, computing, servers, and software. take down M$ biggest strategic advantage (cause it ain't the zune,that's for sure)
  • Reply 85 of 323
    Use the cash to continually fund uninterrupted research and development. Maintain technical superiority.
  • Reply 86 of 323
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Buy Electronic Arts.

Maybe... Apple's learning the power of game offerings with the success of the App Store, perhaps they'll up the ante and really dedicate some talent to internal game development, or simply act as a financial backer to the hottest devs and upcoming talent. This would be a great way to seed thousands of hungry, new companies itching to make a mark in the App Store.
  • Reply 87 of 323
    Apple should buy GOLD, they need protection from the ever devaluing American Peso.

They need a store of wealth and T-bonds just dont cut the mustard anymore, just ask china.
  • Reply 88 of 323
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Think big: Market a version of OSX for system builders and push Windows out of the market!

Think small!
  • Reply 89 of 323
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Apple has been incredibly successful by controlling the entire widget. Many customers have been complaining loudly about their experiences with AT&T. You can't buy an iPhone without it.

Mobile seems to be the word of the day. You can't be mobile without access to the internet somehow.

We might see a big move before Jobs departs. I don't think he'd want to leave one of the largest piggy banks ever created at the hands of lesser mortals.
  • Reply 90 of 323
    Quote:

That's not thinking big. That's thinking small. Look around at all the high valued PC vendors. Can you name them?

Outside of HP and Toshiba who have R&D for other product segments all of the rest are feeding on scraps.

Agree completely.
  • Reply 91 of 323
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

A sexier, more stylish America.

The whole country looking like San Francisco. Sounds like a plan!

Great! If this scenario would imitate Apple's current standings then Steve Jobs as president means 91% of the upper-class gree with him, only 10% of the total population, less than 1% of businesses are on his side, none of the lower-classes would "get him", TEKTUD would be demanding he wasn't a US citizen while claiming that "Apple taxes" are too high, and AngusYoung would be burning the flag and destroying Jobs effigy on TV saying it's his right.

Did I miss anything?

Quote:

Buy Electronic Arts.

Or they could buy Bungie.... oh wait...

Quote:

This would irrevocably hurt Apple's Mac market. The market where they actually make a profit on PC HW where others can't and the market where MS has to sell 12(?) OEM licenses to make the same profit?

The only way I could have seen this working is by buying Sun and essentially rebuilding a NExT/Sparc Workstation hybrid that uses base version of Mac OS X that is geared specifically for businesses, but backwards compatible with most Mac apps, starting with servers and high-end server services that eventually trickle down into utilitarian black/dark-gray pizza box desktops and towers, that are only for OEMs. A completely separate business offshoot that in no way has the word Mac in it and does not directly, at first, work to make the basic cheap Windows desktops found in offices around the world. Though even that could be multi-billion dollar that could hurt Apple in many ways.
  • Reply 92 of 323
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

We might see a big move before Jobs departs. I don't think he'd want to leave one of the largest piggy banks ever created at the hands of lesser mortals.

Departs? Where's Jobs going? When's he leaving?
  • Reply 93 of 323
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Ideas for Apple acquisitions:

1. Buy Netflix. Netflix is worth less than $3.5B and is a profitable company. This is the way to turn AppleTV from a hobby to an industry leading product.

2. Get into content distribution business by buying one or more content distribution companies.

3. Buy Adobe, though Adobe is nearly worth $18B and has a very high P/E ratio. This would settle any problems with flash and mobile MacOS devices once and for all. Apple ends up with a set of duplicate products on the CS side, but that can be fixed over time...

4. Buy Palm to consolidate the smart phone market. Palm is worth pocket change ($1B)

5. Buy Disney? Or another large media corporation like Liberty?

I’d like to see Apple buy a newspaper or magazine publisher and figure out how to make print work across multiple platforms. They could buy Gannett for $4B or the New York Times for $2B, spin off the smaller papers and the TV/cable properties, and turn USA Today or the Times into their own little science project.
  • Reply 94 of 323
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    First off - avon CEO's joke is not funny to me for some reason...

But as far as having loads of cash - is awesome. Apple should continue spending it on the A4 chips, work closer with intel and nvidia to deliver priority chips for apple (like it was done for AIR). How about iWork Mobile that would work like Google Docs or better for those who have Mobile Me. Mobile ads and GPS/maps are also good ideas. Maybe even deliver a personal finance suite that would include investment and tax planning functions that would be better then what is offered by Intuit.

Also building a few more apple stores in US and outside would not be a bad idea.

However apple needs to be careful not to overstretch itself. Going after google in search, for example, would be a huge waste of cash.
  • Reply 95 of 323
    Thought I would clarify a few things being said on this meeting - as I was there, I had the advantage of seeing it first hand with the proper perspective.

1. Andrea Jung did not joke about Tipper being on the board - it was a comment from a shareholder who was asking a questions. It did get a good laugh though. Her point was why are there not more women on the board or on the executive team

2. $40B in cash and thinking big. Jobs point was that he wanted to have the cash on hand so if a big opportunity came up, apple would be in position to take action - there was no suggestion this would be in the form of aquiring another compnay. His point was it allows Apple to take big risks on things and if it does not work, it does not put the company at risk.

3. Someone also asked when Apple would go to verizon. Job's response was that he could not comment on future plans then he said "but" then he stopped himself, paused for 3 or 4 seconds and then continued with "I better leave it at that." Although nothing was said, it was clear by his pause, that he was clearly thinking about adding something else to his comments, but held back. As to what this is, who knows, maybe it was a "wait until summer and see what we do" or maybe it was "we are very happy with our AT&T partnership." I doubt it's the later, because they have said things like that publicly before - he was thinking os saying something that was not previously communicated by Apple - In my opinion.

dofo
  • Reply 96 of 323
    How about really, really.....REALLY big?

They build a free ubiquitous cellular/wireless network that covers all major cities with broadband....only accessed via Apple's products.

Consumers get online free through Apple's portals and Apple in one strike does an end-run past Google and the carriers----controlling all the advertising. .99 for a song... .49 cents for a cel call.... ...1.49 for a TV show.... $9.99 for a movie, etc. etc.

I think Apple would love to operate without the need for a Carrier. They want total control.

Don't be a tedious jerk and smash the particulars here...I'm writing this half drunk, ok? Just look at the big picture.

Apple wants CONTROL. If they have the network...that's the final and ultimate component.
  • Reply 97 of 323
    Thanks for the insight!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dofo View Post

Thought I would clarify a few things being said on this meeting - as I was there, I had the advantage of seeing it first hand with the proper perspective.

1. Andrea Jung did not joke about Tipper being on the board - it was a comment from a shareholder who was asking a questions. It did get a good laugh though. Her point was why are there not more women on the board or on the executive team

2. $40B in cash and thinking big. Jobs point was that he wanted to have the cash on hand so if a big opportunity came up, apple would be in position to take action - there was no suggestion this would be in the form of aquiring another compnay. His point was it allows Apple to take big risks on things and if it does not work, it does not put the company at risk.

3. Someone also asked when Apple would go to verizon. Job's response was that he could not comment on future plans then he said "but" then he stopped himself, paused for 3 or 4 seconds and then continued with "I better leave it at that." Although nothing was said, it was clear by his pause, that he was clearly thinking about adding something else to his comments, but held back. As to what this is, who knows, maybe it was a "wait until summer and see what we do" or maybe it was "we are very happy with our AT&T partnership." I doubt it's the later, because they have said things like that publicly before - he was thinking os saying something that was not previously communicated by Apple - In my opinion.

dofo

• Reply 98 of 323
    Apple could buy a bank. Come to think of it, too late -- they already are a bank.
  • Reply 99 of 323
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Apple could buy a bank. Come to think of it, too late -- they already are a bank.

In the current environment they are safer then a bank.
  • Reply 100 of 323
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Ideas for Apple acquisitions:

1. Buy Netflix. Netflix is worth less than $3.5B and is a profitable company. This is the way to turn AppleTV from a hobby to an industry leading product.

2. Get into content distribution business by buying one or more content distribution companies.

3. Buy Adobe, though Adobe is nearly worth $18B and has a very high P/E ratio. This would settle any problems with flash and mobile MacOS devices once and for all. Apple ends up with a set of duplicate products on the CS side, but that can be fixed over time...

4. Buy Palm to consolidate the smart phone market. Palm is worth pocket change ($1B)

5. Buy Disney? Or another large media corporation like Liberty?

Buy elgato, and integrate a tuner into AppleTV. If I could watch/record over-the-air digital and clear QAM cable, *and* download/buy movies from Apple, and do it with a nice Apple interface, I'd be in all the way!