Apple files for ownership of 'Magic Trackpad' trademark

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple this week filed for ownership of the term "Magic Trackpad" with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, perhaps signaling the name for a new product, or a rebranding of the company's existing trackpads.

Filed on Monday, the publicly available application from Apple seeks control of the trademark in relation to computers and devices in both hardware and software. It does not give any indication whether a Magic Trackpad would represent a standalone product, or a rebranding of the multi-touch trackpad on existing MacBook hardware.

The naming would correspond with the new multi-touch Magic Mouse introduced by Apple last fall. The entire surface of the device can track independent fingers for activities like scrolling and zooming, much like on an iPhone or iPod touch.

Last October, before Apple introduced its new line of iMac desktops, Daring Fireball's John Gruber shared a rumor that the company could introduce a multi-touch trackpad for desktop Macs. However, the supposed product was not unveiled and nothing has been said of it since.

The multi-touch trackpad was first introduced to the MacBook Air family of notebooks, though it was later brought to the MacBook Pro and MacBook line of portable computers.

In December, it was discovered that a dummy corporation set up by Apple called Slate Computing had obtained ownership of the "Magic Slate" trademark. That same company owns the "iSlate" trademark, and Apple owns the islate.com domain name.

At the time, the slate names were seen as a possible brand for Apple's then-unannounced tablet device. In January, Apple revealed its final, true name: the iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    iSlate = iPad on steroids?

I could see it happening. It would be the same size roughly, but with camera, usb port, etc, so it's more resemblant of a real laptop in connectivity and functionality.

It's a thought.

And whats the big deal with Apple and the word magic? Did you watch the video about the iPad on Apples site? They're all taking turns calling it magic this, magic that. It seems like they are all just kind of circle jerking themselves by calling it magic and going on and on about how "Amazing" "Wonderful" "Awesome" and "Fantastic" it is. I couldn't find the video on youtube again after a quick search, but i saw a good couple minute video using just the superlatives all the presenters were using during the keynote, not repeating any. It was really funny.

Apple sure does make great products, and they are great at marketing, and all that, but sometimes its just... weird.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Standalone/desktop multitouch trackpad? Count me in!
  • Reply 3 of 31
    The day will come I will install AirMouse application on iPad and then I would maybe miss only truly magic trackpad and keyboard. But I know right out of here, that the latter doesn't actually exist...
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Hopefully this will materialize. I'd rather a trackpad for desktop Macs over the magic mouse.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Hopefully this will materialize. I'd rather a trackpad for desktop Macs over the magic mouse.

Agreed, Apple moving to the iMac's 'chick-let' style keyboard (a la the laptops) was a good idea. I much prefer it to the old style keyboards. I thought it was a nod to the fact that more people are buying laptops and a lot have both desktops and laptops, as I do.

I could see an iMac keyboard with a glass track pad in the same orientation as a laptop and do away with need for a mouse altogether!
  • Reply 6 of 31
    This is a magical bit of news as I walk through the Magic Kingdom...
  • Reply 7 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I hope they extend the multi-touch trackpad features in their notebooks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bungamunji View Post

iSAnd whats the big deal with Apple and the word magic? Did you watch the video about the iPad on Apples site? They're all taking turns calling it magic this, magic that...

I had to call an Apple Store yesterday and the automated system telked up the iPad calling in magical. I'm a fan of calling anything magical.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

Check out the Wacom Pen & Touch tablets.

http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_pen_touch.php

http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_craft.php

I just got a Bamboo Craft to replace an old Graphire tablet. I was a bit skeptical of the touch input at first, but after a few days use, It's fantastic. Two-fingered scrolling even has iPhone-like acceleration and deceleration!

They really only need to add a few more multi-touch gestures (like Exposé) to put it on par with the MacBook Pro trackpads.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed, Apple moving to the iMac's 'chick-let' style keyboard (a la the laptops) was a good idea. I much prefer it to the old style keyboards. I thought it was a nod to the fact that more people are buying laptops and a lot have both desktops and laptops, as I do.

I could see an iMac keyboard with a glass track pad in the same orientation as a laptop and do away with need for a mouse altogether!

I've never been a huge fan of chick-let keys, although they are admittedly better than standard laptop keys IMO. I don't understand the hoopla about chick-let keyboards. For laptops, sure, as it makes sense due to height/clearance issues. But for desktop utility, I much prefer the robust feeling of standard keyboard keys.

I don't think Apple would come out with a "trackboard" (keyboard + track pad). There are already various "trackboards" out on the market, and IMO they look fugly. Not to mention using a trackpad in a desktop environment is a bit awkward due to ergonomics and scale issues. If I were to guess, Apple will re-brand their trackpads under the "Magic Trackpad" name when they release the updated Macbooks to give uniformity to their "Magic" line (the Mouse).
  • Reply 10 of 31
    I sense new MacBook Pro's coming shortly... the force is strong in this news
  • Reply 11 of 31
    It'd be great if I can lay my iPhone down and use it for a track pad.
  • Reply 12 of 31
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

It'd be great if I can lay my iPhone down and use it for a track pad.

There are several apps that can do that.

I use TouchPad. Some apps require the use of a dedicated Mac application to run. TouchPad doesn't, it uses Mac OS X screen sharing.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/touch...297623931?mt=8
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

I've never been a huge fan of chick-let keys, although they are admittedly better than standard laptop keys IMO. I don't understand the hoopla about chick-let keyboards. For laptops, sure, as it makes sense due to height/clearance issues.

I love laptop keys on a desktop keyboard.

I'm a night owl and pounding away on a "standard" keyboard (in a New York apartment) used to piss off my girlfriend. When I got a keyboard with laptop keys, the noise level and domestic tension dropped dramatically.

I've been looking for an excuse to buy one of the new Apple chicklet keyboards.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    This seems like a prelude to a keyboard with integrated "magic trackpad", since Apple already has a separate "magic" device in the mouse.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

Count me in too. I've been wanting one of these since I got my MBP and the Wacom thing doesn't do it for me.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Check out the Wacom Pen & Touch tablets.

http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_pen_touch.php

http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_craft.php

I just got a Bamboo Craft to replace an old Graphire tablet. I was a bit skeptical of the touch input at first, but after a few days use, It's fantastic. Two-fingered scrolling even has iPhone-like acceleration and deceleration!

They really only need to add a few more multi-touch gestures (like Exposé) to put it on par with the MacBook Pro trackpads.

I gave the Bamboo a week, and just hated it. Hate is a strong word. I really hated it.

I found the touch input to be terrible (time lag, texture, and of course gesture support (as mentioned by parent). I found stylus input to be even worse, and the overall design was just awkward.

I'm all for Apple integrating a MBP-style trackpad into their keyboards. I think mice are a terrible way to interact with a computer... after all these years using a laptop.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

I've never been a huge fan of chick-let keys, although they are admittedly better than standard laptop keys IMO. I don't understand the hoopla about chick-let keyboards. For laptops, sure, as it makes sense due to height/clearance issues. But for desktop utility, I much prefer the robust feeling of standard keyboard keys.

I don't think Apple would come out with a "trackboard" (keyboard + track pad). There are already various "trackboards" out on the market, and IMO they look fugly. Not to mention using a trackpad in a desktop environment is a bit awkward due to ergonomics and scale issues. If I were to guess, Apple will re-brand their trackpads under the "Magic Trackpad" name when they release the updated Macbooks to give uniformity to their "Magic" line (the Mouse).

Yep, you're probably right including a glass track pad on an iMac keyboard...

It did take me awhile to get used to the new style iMac keyboard, but now I just love its thinner, elegant feel!

Whenever I have to use the old style KB's, I feel I'm on an old IBM Selectric Typewriter...anyone remember those behemoths? Clackity, clack, clack!
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I'm all for Apple integrating a MBP-style trackpad into their keyboards. I think mice are a terrible way to interact with a computer... after all these years using a laptop.

Yep, that's my point, you have the same keyboard layout as your MB or MBP with the multitouch features too.

I can see where some people prefer the mouse way off to the right and have to keep coming back to the keyboard. Or using the mouse for, I don't know intensive photoshop stuff. But when I'm working on my laptop, it just feels very efficient to have the one click glass track pad just below the space bar!

Just saying. I see both sides of the issue!
  • Reply 20 of 31
    I'll add my voice to choir. I would love to see Apple produce a trackpad peripheral.

I was skeptical of the "no button" glass trackpad at first, but now I think it's just the greatest.