New Logic Board- Not in warranty :( HELP! PLEASE!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a new macbook and received it in May 2009. Recently I started having problem with my USB drives not working at all. I took it in to the Apple store and was told it was "external damage" and therefor not covered under my warranty. I would need a new logic board and this would be 750 dollars!! (which i definitely cant afford!)

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get a new logic board and have it covered under my warranty?

Please help, my time is running out and without USB drives there is a lot my computer cannot do

thanks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    So you're asking if we can help you commit fraud?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Did they say what type of external damage?

Around the usb ports is there any thing that looks like damage?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob_06 View Post

Did they say what type of external damage?

Around the usb ports is there any thing that looks like damage?

there is nothing around it, they said the inside pickups have been damaged, it looks like they have been pressed down.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    It is normal for the pickups to be depressed when being used. This is totally normal and shouldn't cause damage in the way they are saying it has.

I cannot see why they are saying they are damaged if they are it would be more likely to be a fault with the port itself which for it out of the users control if something breaks whilst in use. It would be more of a manufactoring fault and faulty to being.

I would be calling apple direct and talking with them as it sounds more likely a fault port rather than damage because any usb devices connected would be pushing down on them and that should not be classed as damage as there nothing I can see in usb cables and flash drives I have which would cause damage of any kind.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    marcushmarcush Posts: 5member
    I think that Apple either need to give you some specific answers - or repair the machine.

Exactly how do they know it is external damage? Exactly what evidence do they have that it isn't a component failure? Exactly what evidence do they use to tell the difference between the two? Because if they just assume that all machines like yours are damaged then they've lost the argument.

Don't know the consumer law in your country, but if they want to break their side of the bargain then surely they're going to have to do a lot better than "err... kinda looks like damage to me"

It' going to take persistence.

Good Luck!!