Inside Apple's iPad: iPhone OS vs Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 61 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Criticism from where?

The IT drones on tech forums?

Doesn't count.

I agree, "IT drones on tech forums" can't think outside the current tech-geek dominated paradigm.

No current OS X apps are written for a touch interface and would be completely useless on an iPad that was based on OS X. Which is exactly why the iPad OS should NOT be based on OS X. By using the iPhone OS as a starting point Apple assures all USERS that on day one they will have access to over 100,000 apps.
  • Reply 62 of 147
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Applications created for the Mac OS X desktop all assume the use of a mouse or trackpad to navigate. While a few touch elements could be added to the mix as Microsoft has done with Windows 7 and as Adobe is working to do with Flash, all existing desktop software would have to be rewritten to take advantage of this new functionality, because existing titles simply wouldn't work as designed without a mouse pointer.

OSX already has a touch interface, It's called a trackpad!

If the trackpad functionality of my Macbook was transferred to a touch screen, and the keyboard. likewise - as it is on the iPad, you would have an interface to OSX that is little different to what you have at the moment. A bit of finessing and cleverness would be required of the OS for sure, but to say all the OSX applications would need to be re-written is untrue. They aren't re-written for a Macbook.
  • Reply 63 of 147
    Talk about PURE Propaganda.. jesus .. appleinsider dude.. this is truly a new low.. listen to yourself..
  • Reply 64 of 147
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You really don't get it, do you?

not many do !!!!

that chick will get it thou
  • Reply 65 of 147
    This is a very good article explaining why OS X wasn't a candidate as the iPad OS. Software development for the iPad is just starting. It has a great start by using the iPhone OS. With time, the iPad OS will evolve into something more capable than the current iPhone OS. There is a lot of room under the screen to support more memory and additional electronics than with the iPhone or iPod Touch. We still don't know the full capabilities of the new A4 chip and Apple is probably thinking of an A5 or other advanced chip for future iPads. Apple bought PA Semi conductor and anyone with smarts can figure out that they didn't buy the company just to make only one chip. They have $40B to work with.
  • Reply 66 of 147
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by woww View Post

Talk about PURE Propaganda.. jesus .. appleinsider dude.. this is truly a new low.. listen to yourself..

it was a low brow stupid play on steve balmer like ads

that chick talked like she had a newspaper in her mouth

or another way to say is it was a joke

the iphones os is low power battery saving code

simple as that
  • Reply 67 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Criticism from where?

The IT drones on tech forums?

Doesn't count.

Right, it's only the "IT drones" who thought the ipad would be more of a computer than an ipod touch? It's not like all the rumors kept saying anything like this LOL.

BTW, I consider myself one of these "IT drones" whereby I feel the compulsory need to get the most out of my gadgets. In fact, I'm posting this from my VCR right now.
  • Reply 68 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by woww View Post

LOL

Dude it's all for fun. They absolutely go ape shit crazy for Apple products around here (like to the point where it's concerning) and this is not any sort of "new low" for them
  • Reply 69 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by khurtwilliams View Post

I agree, "IT drones on tech forums" can't think outside the current tech-geek dominated paradigm.

No current OS X apps are written for a touch interface and would be completely useless on an iPad that was based on OS X. Which is exactly why the iPad OS should NOT be based on OS X. By using the iPhone OS as a starting point Apple assures all USERS that on day one they will have access to over 100,000 apps.

Is it really them that can't think out of some kind of paradigm? You people seem to think that whatever Apple gives you, they give because it's the very best they possibly could give.

The truth is, if Apple pleased everyone with this release, people wouldn't have a reason to by the next gen ipad :P

BTW, when you think about it, all OSX apps could be written for a touch interface. What do you think a mouse click is? We know there's ways to bring up context menus (tap and hold.)

So again, who's not thinking outside of the box so to say?
  • Reply 70 of 147
    Wow! She's HOT!
  • Reply 71 of 147
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Mac OS X rules. Mac OS X touch is what the iPad should have. And the reason that it does not have it is simple: Intel could not deliver a chip with a TDP as low as ARM. Simply that. A shame! Now, bring Microsoft Office to the iPad and specifically PowerPoint to the iPad and it will make it.

lI'm an experienced PowerPoint user on Macs and PC's, and of WordPerfect Presentations on PC's (a much better program than WinPP) - and I just switched to Keynote on my Mac.

What an improvement in interface, intuitive controls, customization, granularity (easily changing the properties and behavior of any element of any slide, even, e.g., per bullet). And I can get it for $10 on the iPad??

Or maybe wait to pay MS 10 times that for an inferior port of an inferior product?

One word: "Why?"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitro View Post

I digg Khara Cara

That just means you have a pulse. Damn!

"Hi! I'm a PC!"

"And I'm a Mac."

"And I, I'm.... ...an iPad. Touch me. Touch me anywhere and I will respond to your every stroke. You can even..... ...multi-touch.. ..me, and then something... ...amazing... ..will happen."

Marketing issues.... ...solved. For men at least....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stashman View Post

I'm hopeing for a built in spellchecker for all text fields.

And we're all hoping you get one...... ,
  • Reply 72 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Resolution problems in mobile devices

A primary problem with running a desktop operating system on a mobile device is that it would devote a lot of the available screen real estate to elements designed to support a mouse-based interface. While the iPad offers the same 1024x768 display resolution as the first iMac models, it squeezes those pixels into a 132dpi, 9.7" screen rather than the original iMac's 15" (13.8" viewable) display.

As screen pixels get packed together more densely, the targets of interface elements that were originally designed for a mouse pointer get smaller. But the iPad's multitouch screen is designed to be navigated by fingers, which are larger and less precise at pointing than a mouse cursor.

This means that in order to be usable, interface elements such as buttons, the menu bar, and window frames all have to be drawn larger than they would be on a conventional desktop computer at the same resolution. But since the resolution available on a mobile device isn't any greater, the user would end up with much less usable area for content, such as their browser page.

This is true but you are thinking about it backwards. Apple designed the iPad from the start to run the iPhone OS, thus its hardware designed is geared for that. If Apple had made the decision to have the pad run OS X, the hardware would be different.

Most of your other points are similar. If Apple had designed the pad to run OS X from the start, most of the problems you outline would have been dealt with in hardware and software during the design process. Really the only valid problem would be designing software to work with the interface changes Apple would have made for the device, but a lot of that support would have been built into Xcode so I don't think it would have been a big deal.

iTunes and the app store have taught Apple a valuable lesson. It is a lot more profitable to sell hardware AND all the software going on to a device. The iPad is a reflection of that lesson.

Apple designed the iPad to run the iPhone OS for one reason and one reason only. To maximize profits.

-kpluck
  • Reply 73 of 147
    You frequenlty hear requests for Microsoft Office in the ipad. It's there (and better). Its called iWork. If iWork for OS X is any indication, import and export compatibility with office will be terrific, especially for Word/Pages and PowerPoint/Keynote. if Office were ported to the iPad, it would, by necessity, be very different from office on OS X. Think about menus, views, headers-and-footers, right-click options, etc. When I heard the iPad announcement, the port of iWork was what pleased me most.

The app that I am most interested in is a pdf viewer with the functionality of Preview. The current version of Preview is terrific. I want to be able to read complex pdf documents, highlight, and make light notes.
  • Reply 74 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Now, bring Microsoft Office to the iPad and specifically PowerPoint to the iPad and it will make it.

Why? I can understand wanting Word or Excel, but Keynote is a substantially better piece of software than Powerpoint, which is only just fit for purpose.
  • Reply 75 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kube View Post

You frequenlty hear requests for Microsoft Office in the ipad. It's there (and better). Its called iWork. If iWork for OS X is any indication, import and export compatibility with office will be terrific, especially for Word/Pages and PowerPoint/Keynote. if Office were ported to the iPad, it would, by necessity, be very different from office on OS X. Think about menus, views, headers-and-footers, right-click options, etc. When I heard the iPad announcement, the port of iWork was what pleased me most.

The app that I am most interested in is a pdf viewer with the functionality of Preview. The current version of Preview is terrific. I want to be able to read complex pdf documents, highlight, and make light notes.

Agree on iWork.

Preview is a thing of beauty.
  • Reply 76 of 147
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

...I do not want to type on glass when doing serious work for lengthy periods -- and likewise, when creating content, I don't like a keyboard that takes up half the screen.

With all due respect, exactly what part of 'its not meant for typing on glass when doing serious work for lengthy periods', and 'use the keyboard dock or bluetooth keyboard if you need to do hefty input' don't you understand?

I swear that some people complain that their toaster sucks because they can't cook soup in it.
  • Reply 77 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

nothing stopping Microsoft from doing so

Nothing besides App Store approval.
  • Reply 78 of 147
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Whatever decisions Apple makes are the best cause I dare not disagree with them.
  • Reply 79 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

With all due respect, exactly what part of 'its not meant for typing on glass when doing serious work for lengthy periods', and 'use the keyboard dock or bluetooth keyboard if you need to do hefty input' don't you understand?

What part of "Good luck with that ridiculous dock while on-the-go" doesn't Apple understand?

Should be good humor to see how well it works in a lecture hall or airplane seat.

IMO carrying a bagful of desk-only trinkets kinda defeats the purpose of a mobile device.
  • Reply 80 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I've used remote desktop apps on the iphone and they worked just ok - i could do some tasks I needed to do. I think that VNC or LogMeIn will work great on the iPad...for limited applications - and not all the time.

I think your totally right. How about the ipad is a conduit to your main computer, just and interface. Then the whole world of desktop pc is served to the ipad (windows or mac). I've used VNC and Jaadu and they've worked great. I think they will have to make a custom version as the iphone version will not be at full screen. I hope this unit can handle this sort of usage.