Boston Red Sox - SOLD

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, it's finally over and the Sox have new ownership.

The Henry - Werner team has purchased 100% of the team, as well as Fenway Park for $660 million and has assumed the team's $40 million in debt. That's a grand total of $700 million! :eek:

Any way, it will be interesting to see what they decide to do with Fenway Park, as well as what they will do with certain players and general managers.

The Sox also picked up Johnny Damon which was a good addition to the team. Next season is looking very bright, especially when Nomar and Pedro show up for spring training healthy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Next season I'm buying the Yankees. I will disband them and send the players to AA ball where they belong.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I really hope they dont replace fenway with some ultramodern park. I wouldnt mind much if they built a new park exactly like fenway only a little bigger and cleaner, and kept the old one as a museum or something.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    They need more pitching. They've lost Nomo and Cone. Nomo chewed up innings last year. And Cone is certainly better than Oliver - the guy they got in the trade with Texas. I still hope they have a shot at Burkett.

I'd have rather seen the team go to Joe O'Donnell and Steve Karp. But I'm thinking that Larry Lucchino - the baseball guy who'll be running things for the new owners - may be able to give Duquette some adult supervision. That is, if Lucchino doesn't just fire his ass instead. I've grown weary of Danny but I must admit he would actually be a pretty good GM if he wasn't so drunk on power.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Well it looks like Duquette may have blundered again. The Sox traded Hatteberg and prospects for Pokey Reese. Now it looks like they didn't agree to his contract and have effectively made him a free agent. They were trying to get him to sign a cheaper contract.

He might still sign, but I don't think he will.

Dogcow- it looks like they are looking to renovate Fenway, but I doubt the final decision has been made yet.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    And Selig says baseball is in financial trouble.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    But baseball is in financial trouble!

Why else would it cost $5.00 to buy a hot dog at the ballpark?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    have they resigned Cone yet? I hope they do. He's my favorite player of all time along with Don Mattingly.

I thought plans were near done on a new Fenway next to fenway? I remember there being a website and video clips and everything
  • Reply 8 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>have they resigned Cone yet? I hope they do. He's my favorite player of all time along with Don Mattingly.

I thought plans were near done on a new Fenway next to fenway? I remember there being a website and video clips and everything</strong><hr></blockquote>

It was also my understanding that they were going ot trasnplant the green monster over to the new one. I do not agree at all about the "new Fenway." But I guess progress is progress. I am just too much of a traditionalist. Teams that have great "old" ballparks like Fenway, Wriglet, and Yankee Stadium should keep them...some housekeeping, remodeling, etc. is OK, but come on...keep it. I only suport teams building new stadiums coming out of cookie cutters (Pitt, Philla.) or domes (Seattle).
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Dosnt matter what they do. Seattle will kick there ass yet again.

... Damn @#$%$#% Yankeeys.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Here's what The Courant has to say about the new owners this morning.

<a href="http://www.ctnow.com/sports/hc-henry1223.artdec23.story?coll=hc-headlines-spo rts" target="_blank">The Chairman John Henry</a>

<a href="http://www.ctnow.com/sports/hc-werner1223.artdec23.story?coll=hc-headlines-sp orts" target="_blank">The Partner Tom Werner</a>

<a href="http://www.ctnow.com/sports/hc-lucchino1223.artdec23.story?coll=hc-headlines- sports" target="_blank">The President & CEO Larry Lucchino</a>